This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Would Dalton have been a good Bond at 19?

12 replies to this topic

#1 MattCasey009

MattCasey009

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 04:22 AM

If Dalton would have accepted the role of Bond at the age of 19 would he had been good? Good enough to play the role for 8-10 movies? If Dalton would have been accepted by the audience and such, that Dalton could have been Bond for a long time. But would this have hurt the image of Bond, or would it have enhanced it?

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 29 December 2002 - 04:39 AM

I think 19 is a bit young even for Tim D. But I would have had no problem with Tim D doing 10 movies or even more.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 10:50 PM

I haven't heard of Timothry Dalton being considered for Bond at 19. That'd be 1965, when Connery was still indisputably 007.

He's said to have been considered for OHMSS when he was about 23, and wisely knocked it back. Having seen him in films at that age, I feel he did look too young and gauche. Connery and Lazenby both looked older than their years when they made their debuts as Bond. Even at thirty, Dalton looked younger, and lacked that "been everywhere, seen everything" quality that Bond needs.
I think he was considered for FYEO (Roger was playing "will I sign or won't I" games) and I think he'd have been terrific making his debut at that point.

#4 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:13 PM

The way I understand it Dalton was first offered Bond in 1968 at age 22, when Broccoli saw him in The Lion in Winter, he would have been 23 then for OHMSS, and turned it down saying he was too young.

I've seen Tim's movie Wuthering Heights 1970, when Dalton was 26, and too be honest he was amazingly better looking at age 42 in 1986 when TLD was shot. I do not know why but he got much better looking as he aged. I doubt he would have cut it looks wise back in his 20's.

#5 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 06:18 PM

Dalton was very good in the two Bond movies he did but he would have been far too young at the age of 19 for two very good reasons the first is that he was a lot younger than James Bond was described in Ian flemings James Bond books and the second reason is that I don't think Great Britain will have any 19 year old secret agents.

#6 Raya

Raya

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 07:43 AM

He would have been too young to be believeable I think...it is good that he chose to develop himself and his career first.

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 07:39 PM

Cedric the Entertainer would have been a better Bond than Dalton was.

#8 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:05 PM

Dalton was way too young for Bond at age 19. Bond needs a certain maturity and experienced look about him. Possibly a debut in '81 in FYEO could have been better.

#9 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:38 AM

he very nearly got it in MR I believe but as " EON were still negotiating with Roger and i had been offered something else I took the other job" David Warbeck was signed for MR if Moore's contract had fallen through.

#10 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:00 PM

Well he wasn't a good in his forties, was he :)

#11 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 03:37 AM

I think an actor should get to play Bond at 22-23, and then be allowed to do many bond films, finishing as a middle-aged man, maybe 55? The "aging" in the films would be a neat thing to watch.

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 10:09 AM

he would not have been good, he even admits it himself, he needed a few years on him and some more experience, but I think he came to the role too late, a couple years earlier and he would have been just as good and done more films...

#13 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:38 AM

I dont hate Dalton, but if he was Bond at age 19 the Bond series would have ended with his first movie. 19 is too young for anyone to be Bond especially for Dalton, who could barely handle being Bond in the late 80's. LTK is one of my favorite Bond movies of all time but I didn't feel Dalton had a good grasp on the part.