The missing 38 secs of LTK

6 replies to this topic

#1 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 09:59 PM

I got James Bond The Legacy for Christmas, and it revealed that 38 seconds had been cut from the UK version in order to avoid getting an 18 certificate.

Anyone have any idea what may have been cut? 38 seconds isn't much, but I'm curious to know what might have been missed out. I have an idea that this may have been in the scenes where Krest's head explodes and where Sanchez whips Lupe (The BBFC doesn't look kindly on things like that)

BTW: Is it me, or does Sanchez's whip look like the tail of some animal?

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 26 December 2002 - 10:19 PM

Where I live, I can pick up the national UK channels (BBC 1 and 2, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 (kind of) ). And Bond is usually on ITV.

I can also pick up all three Channels from a TV station from the south of Ireland called RTE (RTE 1, Network 2, TV 3).

Whenever I watch LTK from RTE (usually Network 2) the "Shark-pitt scene" is always more gory, than when I watch it on ITV.

So maybe it's the "Shark-pitt scene."

#3 Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 10:21 PM

In the audio commentary on LTK, they talk about cutting a few seconds out of the explosion of Milton Krest's head. It's already pretty graphic (makes me shudder every time...) but apparently they showed even more (to a "Die Hard"-like extent, perhaps?).

Hope that helps.

#4 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 05:03 PM

Originally posted by manitou007
BTW: Is it me, or does Sanchez's whip look like the tail of some animal?

Wasn't Sanchez's immolation at the end cut for UK audiences so LTK could qualify for the '12' certificate that had just been introduced for Batman?

PS. You're spot on manitou007. The whip Sanchez uses is supposed to be the tail of a stingray, like the one Krest uses on his wife in Fleming's short story.

#5 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 05:22 PM

So how much was cut to avoid LTK getting an R rating in the States?

I can picture Krest's head blowing up like a big old pumpkin. Sick, but sick in a funny way.

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 08:10 PM

I love that scene. 'Launder it' Heh heh heh.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 10:56 PM

I have both a British and an Australian print of LTK.
From memory, there's a tiny cut of Sanchez beating Lupe in the pre-credit sequence, a brief cut from Krest's head inflating and exploding (wesee less of the blood) and you're right, sanchez flailing around on fire is shorter.
There's also an audio edit of Lupe's lover screaming as his heart is removed.
The cuts are well done and barely noticeable.