15 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 04:43 PM

Who would like to see reprints of the Gardner books, maybe in that same retro style as the current Fleming books (except it would be '80s retro, true to the period of the books)? I would love this. Alas, this may be too much to ask...for now at least.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 02:01 AM

I know that I would.

I really don't get the motive behind not reissuing them. They sell reasonably well second hand, so surely those second hand sales could be translated into fresh sales, hence, making Glidrose money.

And to continue on with the style of the new US art would be a nice touch. Not sure about 80's retro though, I get some horrible mental images from that.

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 04:53 AM

I was thinking about this when I was reading the thread with the new Fleming covers. I'd love to be able to pick up all the Gardners, and with covers similar to those Fleming ones, awesome. 80's retro images could give me nightmares, perhaps something just a little more timeless would be in order.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 05:55 AM

A little more 50's :) The 80's retro idea conjures up images of mullets and David Bowie in that George Lucas film thing.

#5 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 12:17 PM

I know I would, since they are hard to come by. I know that you could find them in some used book stores, but I would like to get some new copies, I just find them better.

I would like to see reprints with the styles like the following...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:07 PM

Hey, that edition of Win Lose or Die is one I've been looking for! Don't have that one.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:17 PM

Heck I think I've even seen that one in Melbourne for sale somewhere :) Can't remember where though.

Zencat doesn't have abook. Amazing.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Heck I think I've even seen that one in Melbourne for sale somewhere :) Can't remember where though.  

Zencat doesn't have abook. Amazing.

Now you know what to get me for Christmas. Blue Eyes. Wait...Christmas just passed...drat!

#9 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 07:08 PM

Do any of you know the likelyhood of myself finding the prints of Gardners book's that I like? (What I said above)

Well I know someone will. ^_^

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 07:35 PM

Only in used book stores or eBay. But you should be able to find most of them (and the hunt is part of the fun--at least for me :)).

#11 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 07:48 PM

Used books stores is where i found most of Gardners books. I even went to a few second hand stores, and I found a couple there. I agree with zencat, the hunt is part of the fun. But also with me, when I only needed one or two more books, and i was looking everywhere, it also became frustrating. But anyways, Tehuti 004, just go into used books stores, even small, run down, hole in the wall places that you might think that they would have nothing, you will be surprised how those place will have many Bond books. (At least I was)

#12 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, it is fun to go about looking. I was out the other week and I stumpled into a store and bought from there aload of books. 10 of them. 7 of them Fleming, all PAN early 60s paperbacks, Colonel Sun from Pan (The edition with the Chinese bloke on the front) and 2 Gardner books.

I will be going to the area again somewhen soon, when I get the time. Since there is a shop there, which I havent been into, that specıalıses in Crime Fiction and Sci-Fi. I am not interested in the Sci-Fi, but I would think there will be alot of Bond books in there.

#13 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 12:02 PM

I was looking around Amazon.co.uk and look what I found...

Licence Renewed for Special Services Icebreaker (Omnibus)

It seems there is going to be an omnibus of the three books to be published in June. Anyone else hear of this?

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 01:52 PM

I want John Gardner's books reprinted. I wouldn't care what the cover looks like.

#15 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:04 PM

I've been able to complete my collection by way of ebay. There are still lots of copies of these books out there, although the later ones are tougher to get.

#16 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 04:12 PM

I love that Win, Lose or Die cover and I passed up buying that edition once....man that was stupid, but I would love reprints...I'm one who likes all my series to have the same style, and it would be great to see Bond books on the shelves of new book stores and not just used ones...