This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will the direction of future films change?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 07:30 AM

Hi all,

Byron's back and a big hello to Dr Tynan and Zencat!

I read the latest threads with interest and i think the best way to bring Dalton back will be to offer him an astronomically huge sum of money to make a rival film.

With the release of DAD, i read reviews that said if you enjoy the spy thriller Bond films like FRWL and TLD then DAD may not be to your liking.

This is what i always feared, DAD taking the direction of TND where the action overides everything else.

My question is when will we see another great spy thriller type of Bond film? I believe this is what the Bond films are all about not just mindless action and CGI effects.

My heart still longs for the Dalton era the last great era of James Bond films.

What do you think?

#2 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 08:40 AM

Agreed basic ally. The first hour was good. They should have chopped the ice dragster and glacier out and stopped the chase entering the ice palace.

Then it would have been a tightly compacted and REALISTIC film like Dalton's. *barring the helicopter*

Why, why didn't they cut it?

#3 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 12:16 PM

Bond films over the 40s have mixed it up, I'm a big Dalton fan, but he's not in his prime now, almost 13 years since LTK, time flys hey. But Brosnan is a great Bond to have now, the film DAD as you can see is half realistic and half more fantasy, and the series had these films, some with Moore, and then more dark edge like Connery/Dalton, but it was the 40th anniversary, I say don't panic, if you look at the Bond series it always surprises, TWINE before DAD was more of a realistic thriller, and it was successful, could of been done better yet for me, but that was Bond 19, and they didn't let the TND action get to their heads and continue it with TWINE did they, so I don't think they are doing the same after DAD. Brosnan as well for his last one, highly likely not to be doing too much action stuff, just iron out the balances, somethings in DAD were a experiment, Bond producers over the years never look at box office too much and what works in one Bond film and recycle the same elements, they mix it up, expected the unexpected in Bond 21. Dalton's era is over, but his work is not forgotten, and Brosnan a good Bond now I think can do a better film in Bond 21, lets see what happens. Once again Dalton is never coming back, make your peace with it, he did 2 great films for the series, he enjoyed his time, nothing lasts forever as Bond will say. But if I had a time machine and was a billionaire I would go back to 1990 and finance Dalton Bond films myself and give all the profits to MGM.:cool: But really, appreciate we got 2 Dalton Bond films, it could of easily been a young Pierce in those 2 films, and even Pierce in 1995 commented he looked too young in the late 80s, so both actors played Bond in their prime.

If you look at the Bond films at any point say Connery era, Moore era, and then think about the next films like For your eyes only-gritty flemming Moore Bond film after Moonraker! Thats the perfect example of change, Bond films can be done many different ways, and still be Bond, but obivously, if one film is not to your liking, chances are EON will get one out that you do like, it's just not every Bond film will please everyone.

#4 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 10:22 PM

Personally, I thought DAD was the ultimate Bond. It combined the best of both worlds. The down to earth, gritty elements of Bond, and the larger than life sides of the Bond character that is quite enjoyable. I think this is the only kind of Bond that can succeed. Flemings Bond can work in the modern world, but in order for it to work we have to make some compromises. DAD is a middle of the road Bond, the film as a whole does not put emphasis on one kind of Bond, its a mix. And in my view, a mix is always the best way to go.

#5 MattCasey009

MattCasey009

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 04:37 AM

Well yes the action in DAD was too much, and I do agree with the back and forth Bond type films with action then more of a plot and covertness and such. I think MGM is trying to attract young people in there teens more, because most teens don't want to see vintage Bond, they want explosians and C4 and such. The older folks like the ol' craftyness of Bond, so if MGM can combine both of these with just the perfect amount then that would be a great Bond film.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Byron
...My question is when will we see another great spy thriller type of Bond film? I believe this is what the Bond films are all about not just mindless action and CGI effects...

FYEO, TLD, LTK, TWINE...I feel like we've had far too many of these "realistic" Bond films lately. Sure, while Fleming fans love 'em, I think they leave the mass audience a bit cold. I like a perfect mix; Goldfinger, The Spy Who Love Me -- but even DAD got the mix right for me (and I'm an older fan). I like my Bonds big and fun. If I want FRWL, I'll rent it.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 07:38 PM

DAD didn't have too much action; its problem was the lack of style shown for the action. We have a nice parasurfing thing (was the original Bond theme blaring, though?) and a good fight in a Cuban clinic, but most of the other action was a la LALD: a snooze-fest which went on and on more to take up time than to show 'panache'.

And when did this myth about 'unrealism' start? If I recall correctly, destroying the minefields between N and S Korea could actually provide a channel through which either the South or the North army could invade the opposite country. As for realism in TWINE: since when did travelling through a pipeline at 70 mph become possible?

I think some people, Pro- and Anti-DAD alike, have thrown these catch-phrases, and remarks around in an attempt to prove the good and the bad of DAD. But they merely stereotype certain films, stuff them into categories, and measure them with--what Bond films themselves have shown to be--the root of all evil, money.