The next in line

6 replies to this topic

#1 Double oh Ten

Double oh Ten

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 07:22 PM

Who would you want to see as the next writer to take over from Benson?

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing Robert Ludlum have a crack at the gig, if not i reckon Tom Clancy would write a cracker of a Bond novel

#2 Johnny Tower

Johnny Tower

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 03:12 PM

Check the obituaries! Robert Ludlum is dead as a doornail... I mean no disrespect, but... yikes! Ludlum was 74 when he died in Naples, Florida, on March 13 of a heart attack (2001). And Tom Clancy... it's your opinion that he would make a fine Bond novelist, of course, but, again, check the obituaries... Tom Clancy hasn't written a well-crafted spy novel for eons. Why look to the future? Raymond Benson is doing a spectacular job at keeping 007 fresh in the 21st century. He's no Ian Fleming, but who is?

#3 AgentM

AgentM

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 06:09 PM

Seeing as I have no chance of becoming the next Bond screenwriter, I honestly think I could do it...

#4 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 10:08 AM

Hmmmmmm. Both Ludlum and Clancy claim(ed) to dislike the character of Bond and Fleming's work in general, as I recall. Pompus ingrates...oops, did I say that?

#5 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:10 PM

Which is ironic. Fleming was a much better writer than either of them. Ludlum stuff is boring and way to long I've struggled through the Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremicy. Clancy isn't much better, and they dont have the sweep and narrative of Fleming. Few writers do.

Someone who understands the character. Benson.

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 10:09 PM

I'd be quick to say 'Anyone else!', but aside from the good points on crappy writers above, I realise that while Ian Fleming Publications (why the name change?) might choose someone on par with Chris Wood, or the early Gardner, they might also choose someone worse (!) than Benson.

I would like to pose the question: would a new style of books be accepted by anyone here? By 'new style', I mean like Gardner did with his latter books which were far more mystery and far less heroics by Bond against a super-gangster.

Personally, one of these books is refresing, but a whole new string of books which bear no relation to Fleming's would not be accepted by me.

#7 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:20 PM

Keep Clancy away from Bond. It was impossible for me to read The Hunt For Red October, and I love the movie.

Although it's not really his genre, I would love to see adventure novelist (and my hero) Clive Cussler take a shot at a Bond novel. He always weaves up fantastic, intelligent, exciting plots, and could probably produce a novel (although different in style) almost on par with Fleming.