Piz Gloria sir is private property!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Fisher

Mr Fisher

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:47 AM

If you want to find out more about Piz Gloria and the real mountain it is built on why not try this link. The webcam has some amazing views!

#2 Mr Fisher

Mr Fisher

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:49 AM

www.schilthorn.ch

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 01:08 AM

When I go to Suisse, I definitly want to go ski at Piz Gloria (though it won't be as fun without the grenades being shot at me).

#4 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 01:43 AM

I've promised myself I'll go there within the next decade. Probably one of the most impressive Bond locations that hasn't changed much at all since the movie.

#5 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 12:10 AM

yeah not the fun when you are not skiing with a avalanche chasing you (xXx totally stole that)

#6 Irma Bunt

Irma Bunt

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:42 AM

I visited this marvellous place in 1990 and now have all sorts of wonderful memorabilia. The dining room is a revolving restaurant and they still call the place "Piz Gloria" in honour of the film. I had the "James Bond Breakfast" (including a glass of champagne). The Cable Car ride to the top is breath-taking, as is the scenery of the three great mountains nearby. A wonderful place. The helicopter pad, alas, is no more.

#7 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:52 PM

I agree, it is a brilliant place to visit but I was surprised how small it was when you get up there. The views however are magnificent and it has changed little over the years - nice that they still keep the OHMSS link but refrain from making it some tawdry tourist attraction.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 06:34 PM

Do they have a chamber orchestra in the cable car playing 'Journey to Blofeld's hideaway' as you ascend? Because I would be thoroughly unimpressed with the beautiful scenery without that music.

#9 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:12 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
Do they have a chamber orchestra in the cable car playing 'Journey to Blofeld's hideaway' as you ascend?  Because I would be thoroughly unimpressed with the beautiful scenery without that music.

I, too, have had the pleasure of journeying there, and you definitely don't need any extras to enjoy the beauty. The Alps are a beautiful place, and the cable car ride to the top is unsurpassed. Though, it is a lengthy ride (over four different stations, if I recall), the scenary that greets you from around the cable car is amazing. You may even start a conversation about James Bond with somwone in the car, just as I did. Though, it would be a nice touch if they did have some James Bond music playing.

BTW, whilst i was up at the top, I had the Coupe 007 Sundae. It was made from five scoops of ice cream (various flavours like mango, kiwi, strawberry, etc) with a slice of pineapple and cherry adorning the top to look like Piz Gloria itself.

When you do visit Piz Gloria, I recommend taking the earliest cable car of the day, as there are not as many people on it, and once you get to the top, there are only a few people around, which provides for some nice pictures in James Bond poses! :)

Also, be sure to visit the Bondorama (I think that's what it's called) where they have a video presentation on James Bond in four languages simultaneously (German, French, English, and Japanese). I learned a few things that I never knew from that. The gift shoop also has some nice things, many of which are related to James Bond of course. And, they have a computer there, that you can pay a little money to use for 15 minutes I think it was. It sure would be cool to post a message on here from there (I sent a few E-Mails).