36 replies to this topic

#31 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

For my money, the overall best espionage show on TV was "Callan," a very hard-edged John Le Carre-style spy show starring Edward Woodward as a professional assassin working reluctantly for a branch of the British Government's intelligence services called 'the Section'. It ran from the late 60s into the early 70s. It was a near perfect mix of behind the scenes political maneuvering (the chess game) and action in the field.

The next best for me is "Spooks" (MI-5 here in the US), which also mines that same blend of dark intellectual gamesmanship with edge of your seat action. All 10 seasons are excellent!

I have only seen a few episodes of Callan, but I am a huge fan of Woodward's other show, The Equalizer.

#32 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I loved all those TV spy/adventure shows of the 1960s, particularly Danger Man (aka Secret Agent). I especially liked the hour long episodes when the theme tune changed to that edgy harpsichord version, and Patrick McGoohan suddenly acquired that clipped British accent (Which he then carried over into The Prisoner)

And I've come across this British TV rarity from 1966, which I can remember - hyperlink attached

It is from a TV series called The Ratcatchers, a sort of "Bond-ish" series which ran from 1966 to 1967. Again, I liked the theme tune as well as the series itself.

Incidentally, Bond fans may recognise the "M" figure in the scene attached - Philip Stone, who appeared, briefly, in the SPECTRE boardroom scene in Thunderball as SPECTRE Number 5, reporting back on the £250, 000 fee for the British Train Robbery.

#33 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

The end of the first episode.

#34 Quintin Sayers

Quintin Sayers

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Sounds a very interesting, must-see show. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check out the DVDs at some point. Not heard of this show before - reminds one of The Carpetbaggers novel! Just ordered it on Amazon.

I wish that they'd release The Ratcatchers also - sounds absolutely fascinating! Also, notice how the titles sequence is like that of The Prisoner with the car and everything!

Edited by Quintin Sayers, 27 November 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#35 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

George Lazenby was originally supposed to be "The Equalizer". (It was written especially for him but the network had other ideas.)

#36 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Sounds a very interesting, must-see show. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check out the DVDs at some point. Not heard of this show before - reminds one of The Carpetbaggers novel! Just ordered it on Amazon.

I wish that they'd release The Ratcatchers also - sounds absolutely fascinating! Also, notice how the titles sequence is like that of The Prisoner with the car and everything!

As far as I'm aware, the bit I've attached from YouTube is the only bit left - which is a shame, as it was a good TV spy series. UK TV companies had an annoying habit of wiping video tapes of shows - if only they had the foresight to anticipate video sales/DVD/internet, but then how could they have back then?

You're right, the opening titles are vaguely reminiscent of The Prisoner - I guess in the mid 1960s every TV super spy was expected to drive a sports car at speed!

#37 Quintin Sayers

Quintin Sayers

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

As far as I'm aware, the bit I've attached from YouTube is the only bit left - which is a shame, as it was a good TV spy series. UK TV companies had an annoying habit of wiping video tapes of shows - if only they had the foresight to anticipate video sales/DVD/internet, but then how could they have back then?

You're right, the opening titles are vaguely reminiscent of The Prisoner - I guess in the mid 1960s every TV super spy was expected to drive a sports car at speed!

Sad - yes, much good material has been lost due to the BBC policy in the 1950s and 1960s - they often taped over shows to save money. Sometimes culture is worth more than mere money...we can always print more.