27 replies to this topic

#1 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:11 AM

I just read on the net the Sarah Michelle Gellar wants to be Bond after Brosnan. Now I am not sexist or anything, but a woman for Bond! I cannot even fathom that idea. Ian Fleming would role over in his grave if that ever happened, and probably ruin the series.

What does everybody else think

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:21 AM

I seriously doubt she's serious, just joking about. I belive Catherine Zet-Jone has made a similar comment "I want to be Bond. Jane Bond" or something like that.

#3 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 03:33 PM

It'll never happen..... she must be joking. No offense to the women here of course, but bond needs to be male. period.

Rich

#4 Zero Zero

Zero Zero

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 10:56 PM

Don't be daft!... A WOMAN as Bond? Where the hell do these rumours come from. Sarah Gellar is fine, but there's two no chance of a chick being Bond.

Ian Fleming wrote 007 as a man. That's the way the character should stay. A red blooded male. Not a skirt, not a fag!

#5 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 11:01 PM

Lol. After all the serious arguing over DAD, I'm glad to see such a silly thread!

#6 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 11:20 PM

I once had a dream where I was wearing a tux and I was approached by Emma Thompson. We started to dance and I said to her: "Congratulations on being chosen to play Jane Bond."
She smiled as we danced...and then I woke up.

They tried something like this back in the early 80s. The film was called "S.H.E". It stood for Security Hazards Expert. The tag line for the film was "She does it better than He."
It starred Cornelia Sharpe. The poster for the film showed her standing in classic Sean Connery pose with arms crossed holding a gun against her cheek. She was wearing a tuxedo jacket with bow tie...and high heels. Great poster, great legs.

Suffice it to say, the film went nowhere. Not sure if you could even find it on video.

It's a nice idea, but give me Sarah Connor or Ripley any day.

Vodka Martino

#7 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Zero Zero
Don't be daft!... A WOMAN as Bond? Where the hell do these rumours come from. Sarah Gellar is fine, but there's two no chance of a chick being Bond.

Ian Fleming wrote 007 as a man. That's the way the character should stay. A red blooded male. Not a skirt, not a fag!

There's really no need to be ignorant and offensive. The word "fag" with an exclamation point shows anger and hate. The term "Gay Man" would suffice. There are gay people who post here (myself included) and don't appreciate that remark. Take heed that i'm trying my best not to be insulting right back,and it's really hard.:)

#8 Zero Zero

Zero Zero

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 06:53 AM

Didn't mean to offend anyone, just an opinion.

I personally have no problem with gay people, but for the last 50 years the Bond (the creation of Ian Fleming) character has been sacred. Then people talk of screwing around with the foundations of the character. If we start to change these basic points then we can't really say "Albert R. Broccoli's EON productions presents [Insert Name] as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 In [Insert Title]" can we, because it'll not be Ian Fleming's James Bond!

Anyway I digress. If I offended then I appologise.

#9 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:08 AM

Originally posted by jwheels57
I just read on the net the Sarah Michelle Gellar wants to be Bond after Brosnan. Now I am not sexist or anything, but a woman for Bond! I cannot even fathom that idea. Ian Fleming would role over in his grave if that ever happened, and probably ruin the series.

Are you allergic to citing references? ;-)

#10 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 12:25 PM

James, please refrain from popping up here just to put people to rights about petty lack of referencing, maybe you'd like to discuss the topic of the thread rather than scanning them with the sole intent of correcting people?

#11 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 08:23 PM

Actually James, that is not were i found the article at all. I found the article on IMDB-http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/2002/20021213.html

Maybe next time you will ask were i got the info instead of criticizing me for forgeting to but the link

#12 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:56 AM

I don't care what the PC police say, but Bond should never be anything but a straight white British male.

#13 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:21 AM

Being respectful has nothing to do with being PC:rolleyes:....It should be a given extended to everyone,quid pro quo. Anyway,back to the topic,I think it was pretty clear Sarah Michelle was being faceteous. There is no way Boind is gonna become a woman. I don't think a real actress would want to play someone as one dimentional as Bond anyway. I personally would love to see "Alias" brought to the big screen with Jennifer Garner.now there's a walking freudian slip who can kick serious ***.:)

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:07 PM

I know in the early 1990s there was serious discussions about making 007 a female agent. I think there was even discussions with Sharon Stone about her taking on the role.
Then, they secured the services of Pierce Brosnan and the idea was dropped.

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:14 PM

She's not tall enough.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:07 PM

But she can kick butt, just watch the fight scenes on Buffy

:)

#17 Agent Lee

Agent Lee

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:10 PM

Get Juila Roberts for the role. She would bring in lots of her fans, guaranteeing a pre-sold audience. In fact, we can name the next film, NOTTING HILL NEVER DIES!

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:14 PM

Never been particularly fond of Julia Roberts, she always seemed just skin and bones....

#19 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 10:32 PM

Ohhh Jennifer Garner.... *drool* My god that girls gorgeous. I can't wait to see Catch Me If You Can (cause it looks like an awesome flick hope they stayed true to the book) and Daredevil because she's worth the price of admission many times over.

#20 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 03:11 AM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Ohhh Jennifer Garner.... *drool*

Ditto!

Vodka Martino

#21 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 11:37 AM

There was, I feel sure, never any "serious thought" of making Bond female, in the guise of Sharon Stone or anyone else.

Stone was in the frame to play Elektra King, though, and championed for the part by Brosnan who'd worked with her in Remington Steele.

Bond has certain immutable characteristics, including race and gender.
If you change those, then make the protagonist someone else entirely and let this new character stand on their own feet, and succeed or fail on their own merits

#22 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 01:32 PM

it's a male character pure and simple, if you want a female spy, go watch Alias....mmmm Jennifer Garner......:)

#23 Contessa

Contessa

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 09:41 AM

Doubt it'll happen, not that it should. There are already enough pseudo-female Bonds on TV and the movies. In general, too much ****-kicking, not enough signs of intelligence on display. A few years ago, though, I might have mentioned an Australian actress named Peta Wilson who starred in the series "Le Femme Nikkita" (a darker, edgier precurssor to "Alias"). I believe she could have knocked Jennifer Garner right on her little duff--and probably Pierce, too, come to think of it.:)

#24 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 05:35 PM

I doubt it will happen. I think if a women woud play Bond that the first movie would do good then the series would go down hill from there.

#25 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 06:19 PM

I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

#26 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:54 PM

Well, believe it or not this not totally out of the realm. Actually the Sharon Stone thing was very serious, Basically, as I had read from about 3 different publications Sharon Stone could have played a female Bond in GE.

What I basically read at the time was
1. Sean Connery was aked to play Bond in GE he declined
2. Mel Ginson was asked he declined
3. Liam Neeson was asked he declined

The feeling was that they had to have a huge mega star for the role or the series would die. You see they were predicting that GE would have trouble making back the 60 million it cost.

Most people even EON and MGM felt that GE could make no more than 80 million and would indeed be the final Bond movie.

Thier last choice was Brosnan, and if Brosnan turned down the role, they were going to make it a female Bond with Sharon Stone. You see this was intended as the last Bond.

The James Bond will return was in case the movie was a hit.

Of course GE was a huge hit and now all of that is history.

People have to remember Bond is a commodity that is owned by some very, very wealthy people. They care about nothing other than their back acounts. So when they get desperate anything can happen with Bond.

As far as Gellar is concerned that is clearly a joke. As long as Bond is making money and they have Pierce there will be no such thing. I doubt it would ever happen anyway.

But do not be so naive as to think EON would not suck that last dime out of Bond. They will and one day it will happen. Usually things do end well. It is just like a great sports dynasty, it never ends well.

#27 Risico

Risico

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:11 AM

I think we all know that 007 is James Bond, not Jane Bond. (period...end of story)

But, what about a main character in the next Bond movie who is a double o who is a woman...and then, if moviegoers like her...make a new movie series based on her...006 (replacement of alec). kind of like the rumors of Jinx getting her own spin-off movie.

There appear to be double o's who are female if you watch the debriefing in TWINE regarding Mr. King blowing himself up.

#28 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 09:51 PM

"Actually the Sharon Stone thing was very serious"

I think it was mentioned in "The James Bond Legacy" that some journelst came up with that suggestion as a joke...

By the way, Brosnan wasn't the last choice to play Bond, Dalton was offered it (out of loyalty I think) , turned it down, Brosnan was next in line. Though MGM came up with a list of (male) actors, there wasn't any doubt that Brosnan was the first choice.