10 replies to this topic

#1 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:04 AM

After Arnold's abysmal work on the soundtrack for Die Another Day. Dont you all think it's high time we brought back the living legend John Barry? It's not as if he's retired from the music business. 'cos i saw him perform at the Royal Albert a couple of years back.

#2 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:07 AM

It would be a nice touch but I think that the "Bond, Barry" days are long gone.

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:46 AM

I think that Arnold should stick with it. Although, a collaboration between the two would be very interesting...

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 02:04 AM

I like Arnold's work on Bond. I drove a hundred mile round trip to get the soundtrack for DAD when it first came out. I really enjoyed it. Barry was great, but I like Arnold's work, too.

#5 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 02:37 AM

Well Bond 21, Arnold cannot just do his remixes once again, It needs a distinct theme all over it, like the living daylights, and use 007 theme in the best scenes of action in film, but I think he really done his mixes to a point in DAD that Bond 21 just must feel totally distinct and concentrate a theme to the story, and save 007 theme for a special occassion.

Barry is a master at it, Arnold's good, but if he comes back, he better do something fresh, leave the 007 theme more, and figure out a film theme from the story.

#6 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 02:49 AM

Well, I recall reading somewhere that Arnold stated the fact that the score for Bond 21 would hafta take a major change. I can't wait to hear it.

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:02 AM

As long as the drastic change doesn't involve fiddles and banjos, we should be okay.

#8 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:04 AM

You read my mind sean! I want to hear more theme development. As much as i enjoy the DAD score (I REALLY do!! Don't get me wrong), I miss the Barry approach which means 4 or 5 central themes running throughout the film. For example the "Necros Attacks" theme from TLD, "Chase Bomb Theme" from Octopussy, and of course the"Snow Job" theme from AVTAK. Arnold's DAD (after tons of listens), does feel like a rehash of old material he used to score his last two bond outings, and he really is going to have to tone down the electronics i think, it's getting old IMO. He did in fact say that Bond 21 would have to go in another direction, to be honest jack, that kinda scares me. Arnold does like to experiment, lets hope that this means he will lay off the break beats until they are absolutely needed.

Rich

#9 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 04:35 AM

I think that Arnold knows what he's doing. When I first heard about the choir in DAD, I'll admit that I at first was a bit worried, but then I realized that "hey, the man knows what he's doing". Sure enough, I was right - "Icarus" is one of my favorite tracks.

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 05:06 AM

john barry is so good, i have always enjoyed his music but i think as well that his time has passed. its a shame though because he brought a flair to the bond films.

#11 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 07:18 AM

I would like the score to use much more orchestra and less techno rhythms, a la TND, where there was *just* enough techno to be good in the action scenes. The Bond theme should be brassy and jazzy again (I swear, TND was my favorite sounding Bond theme sound in years) and should be used semi often. I have been listening to Barry's scores from the worse Moore films (MR, AVTAK), and never realized how "epic" the *majority* of the music for these films was, especially MR.)

I also agree with definite and dynamic themes (to be used 2 or 3 times onscreen), and hopefully from a good title song. Like with Barry's scores for MR, OP, AVTAK, and TLD, I would very much enjoy a sweeping love theme with strings and woodwinds.

I very much enjoy DAD personally, and I was very impressed with the wonderful use of the choir, I'd love to hear that again (I'm biased, being a singer and undergrad vocal major), but I found it hard to hear over the awkward beats in the otherwise traditional gunbarrel theme.