This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Should James Bond Live On To Die Another Day?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 09:33 PM

I've been thinking. Should Bond throw his hat onto the hat-stand for the last time? He has been the head of the longest running movie franchise ever...but how long can it realistically run before it looses its breath?

Or are you of the opinion that as long as there is an ever changing political climate there will always be a place for James Bond?

My worry is that the films will begin to lose their links with each other and we'll eventually have a chain of standalone Bond movies. Does Bond need a more consistant enemy to keep him going?

So I throw it open to you lot...should James Bond live to die another day?

#2 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 09:44 PM

Well, although I do like having a new Bond movie to look forward to every few years or so, I do think that perhaps it may be time to call it quits. There is only one actor who I could see playing Bond after Brosnan ends his run, and I doubt that I'd be lucky enough that they'd sign him. I could go either way on it.

#3 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 09:49 PM

It's difficult to say "Good bye, Mr. Bond" but we may have to one day...but at least we still have at least 40 years to look back on and no one will ever forget James Bond, one of the greatest British icons ever!

Surerly he should have won the Greatest Britons competition?! Look at how many times he's saved our [censored]!

#4 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 09:55 PM

Well said.

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 10:38 PM

which actor would that be Jack???

#6 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 10:47 PM

no, bond has a good 20 years left in him...put your fears to rest, he is going to be around for a looooooooooooooooooooong time to come

#7 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 11:28 PM

I am now 22 years old and Bond 50.
As there make movie number 50 in 2052 iam than 72 and Bond 100 :):D:D:D:D:confused:

But i don't think there make 50 movie's in 100 years.
Mabey there make 30 movies and movie number 30 in the year 2027 than is Bond 75 years old.

Bond 30 title: The last Wish of a Secret agent :)

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:39 AM

Jason Isaacs.

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 02:08 AM

Originally posted by JackChase007
Jason Isaacs.

he cant be bond......to ugly and after pierce thats a step down

#10 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 02:55 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
 he cant be bond......to ugly  and after pierce thats a step down

This coming from the person who thinks that TOM CRUISE can play a good Bond??? Don't make me laugh...

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:13 AM

If they can't find anyone as good as Pierce, they should quit, or at least go on hiatus until the Chosen One will come forward and give us more great Bond. For the love of God, I hope the producers don't pull a Dalton on us.

#12 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:22 AM

I feel as long as the prodcers and writers resect the fans, and keep quality in the movies. And the next actors also respects the fan, and the work he is doing. And isn't in it for a quick dollar or instant stardom. There will always be room for 007.

#13 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 04:37 AM

Originally posted by JackChase007

This coming from the person who thinks that TOM CRUISE can play a good Bond???  Don't make me laugh...

no, thats not what i said at all, i said i did not want him as bond, but as far as looks were concerned......looks, he could do it. and any actor that is good at acting can fake a british accent but cruise to me could not be bond. but lets face facts...u cant have an ugly bond and if who you want is the name i have seen then you must want an ugly bond, but he will never get it because the producers dont want a bond that is not appealing.

#14 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 04:47 AM

Interesting topic.... I definately think the series has another decade or two left before it needs to die. Who knows.. possibly more, it just depends on whether or not the public (more importantly die hard bond fans like us) like the direction the next films take. Here's a question though, if there ever was a last bond film.. should they literally kill off Bond in some grand finale? There would have to be a large funeral with the bond theme played out on bells, an organ, and a huge string section. I'm not so sure myself, it would really hurt to see the man die. I'd be all for retirement.

Rich

#15 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 05:09 AM

Well pal, you're the first person I know of that's ever thought of Isaacs as "ugly".

What you're saying is that Bond should look like a pretty boy. Bond is far from "pretty". He's supposed to be more of a ruggedly-handsome type. Tom Cruise is far from rugged.

#16 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 05:15 AM

DAMN good point Jack! Have you guys read the books? Bond is supposed to be a rugged looking cold bastard who has a scar running down his face, and definately not a pretty boy.

Rich

#17 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 06:01 AM

but as far as a women magnet and thats bond 100% ala moore, brosnan, connery, you have to take that in to account, and a movie is going to be different than the book, sure bond can look rough in a book, but on screen you have to have looks thats all there is to it. and after pierce its going to be tuff to find someone to match that, i am sure they will find someone.........but they will have to look high and low

#18 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 06:09 AM

But while Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton (to a lesser extent), and Brosnan most definately were charming women magnets, they could also go to the other extreme, and you could see them as the hardened adventurer that Fleming imagined. Also, the actor should have some sort of natural accent. Being a decent actor has nothing to do with faking an accent. Some actors could probably do good impressions or accents, but are terrible actors.

#19 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 10:26 AM

I just cant see Bond dying. Not that the producers wont, I just couldn't bare to see it. I say let him retire or MIA or something, it leaves some hope that maybe...just one day, James Bond Will Return :)

#20 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 11:51 AM

Bond's funeral? Hmmm...perhaps he should finish his miision, get killed and the final scene is his funeral. The camera pulls back and James Bond is looking down on the coffin a la Thunderball and say something like -

"Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow..."

Cue rousing James Bond theme. That would be nice I feel to round off the series.

Oh, and it's my idea so if any of you copy it then I *will* strap you to a laser table and there will be no failure...

#21 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:37 PM

Very good idea. If I were you I would try to copyright that, or something.

#22 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:06 PM

Very well, I copyright the above post and anyone who steals it obviously can't come up with their own ideas.

P.S Your momma.

Hehe.

#23 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 04:21 PM

That says it all. I'll hafta learn from that - brilliant tactic...

#24 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 03:41 PM

I think as long as there's terror, political intrigues and bad boys out there, there'll always be only one man you can depend on...
Seriously, I don't see Bond dying within the next 30 years. Right now, 007 is the only reason why MGM is still alive. And as long as the box office is higher than the budget of the movie, Bond will live on and on and on. And Die Another Day shows that James Bond is still popular all over the world.

#25 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 11:10 AM

I dont want to be rude, but some people think that I must see the end of Bond. Why not our grand grand children see 007, the most popular agent. I think he must live forever, doing greater films than before. He can live with time, look at the other series, can they? LOTR, HP, etc. will die someday, but no for 007, he will and must live forever...

#26 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 11:34 AM

Better that he go out with a bang than evolve into some mass marketing icon who churns out films for the sake of churning out films.

To be cliched for a moment - Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

No?

#27 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 03:40 PM

i think its quite possible that Bond could go on for a very long time. if the series ever reached the point where they were no longer profitable, and no longer popular, the series would take a break for maybe five or ten years, and then eventually Bond would be resurrected again much in the way Goldeneye resurrected the franchise.