#1 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 07:20 PM

*possible spoiler*
The latest rumour to surface about Bond 20 alleges that the plot will revolve around Bonds father. Apparantley Bond will discover that his father did not die with his mother in a climbing accident and that Q had concealed this from him for many years. Bond will learn that his father was in fact a 00 agent and this will apparantley figure heavilly in the plot.

#2 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:10 PM

Thank God! I hate it when they say they're going to screw around with things.

#3 James Bond

James Bond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 09:56 PM

zencat (29 Jul, 2001 05:57 p.m.):
It definitely sounds like a fan plot. "Final Assignment" -- does that sound like something Purvis & Wade or EON would come up with? "Q concelled the info from Bond"... He uses the past tense with Q which is a real tell. Q is NOT dead! The actor is dead! Only a fan would see Q as being "dead" in the next movie.

However, I am intrigued by the mention of New York as a location. Didn't some guy a while back post that he had won a contest that promised a trip to the Bond 20 set, and that he thought it was going to be in New York? What ever happened to the guy? I do like the idea of NYC as a major location, but the climax in the crown of the Statue of Liberty is right out of the old WARHEAD script.

Hi Zencat, I`m the guy who won that trip to the Bond20-set and I was told by the guy who is supposed to give me all the information about it that the trip was probably 3 or 4 days America so when I read this rumor everyone is talking about, I thought: "Well, at least one thing is true, I`m going to New York but the whole idea of Sean Connery being Bond's father, I don't know but I think than it would become very commercial!
It is a awesome idea but it is a little strange that you'll see two Bond's in one movie, If you get my point.
For the rest, everything seems pretty normal to me!

#4 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 10:12 PM

Zencatm you hit the nail bang on the head.

EON are forever adding these tempting lines to the end of their official press releases regarding the new films. The fact that this "leak" divuldged all of the details and left no mystery, smacks of a fan trying to get some attention.

Ho hum. I guess we will just have to wait for the official :) now =)

=
J

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 12:04 AM

I spoke to Nicolas Drapier (who runs Bond 20.com) and here's what he told me about the rumour!! It will appear in the news later on today (my time):

My source wants to be anonymous . I know all I need to know about him/her in order to tell you that it's reliable. I have to emphasize that it's NOT the definite screenplay. It's A plot for bond20 which is a basis for the final screenplay.

That's all I can tell you.

I categorized the news as a rumour because it doesn't come from EON or MGM. that's the reason.

So what do you all think of that?

#6 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, u bet Bronsnan would love it! lol, But it does sound like a fan plot. I doubt MGM/UA or EON would slip something so important out so early. And usually bond has his eyes set on the main 'bad-guy', but maybe Bonds father could be the bad-guy in this one?, But I think it would be to much of goldeneye's Trevelyan (he he) where someone close betrays him.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:08 PM

Boldman (29 Jul, 2001 06:50 p.m.):
Anyone else remember a while back, when we were told that the next Bond film would have something BIG in it, something thought too risky for GE? They did say it was something to do with his past.

But I've heard this about each Pierce movie. I remember seeing an internal memo at MGM in November 1998 which said of TWINE: "(Bond) will confront the darkest secret of his past -- a secret he knows nothing about and one that will change him forever."

At the time, there were all sorts of rumors saying the villain in TWINE turns out to be Bond's son, or M turns out to be the villain, or Q get killed... When I read this memo I thought, "Oh my God, it's TRUE! Something HUGE happens in TWINE!"

But alas, no. I guess this was just a ref. to the Electra twist. So I now very cautious when I read info like this. Even when it comes from the inside, it can turn out to be quite different than what it seems.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 12:06 AM

Hummm... I don't know. This sounds fan created to me.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 10:07 PM

zencat (30 Jul, 2001 06:03 p.m.):
There's still something that feels very fan created about this, but I'm starting to get a little spooked. If it is true, there's more here than I wanna know.

You're spooked as well? That makes two of us :) It 'could' seem real, but there's still something I just can't place my hands on.

#10 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 05:50 PM

Anyone else remember a while back, when we were told that the next Bond film would have something BIG in it, something thought too risky for GE? They did say it was something to do with his past.

I still don't believe it though. How could they do something with Q, when he's just been replaced? They couldn't really bring a new guy in a claim he's been there all that time.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 12:00 AM

Boldman (29 Jul, 2001 06:50 p.m.):

Yup I know what you're talking about Boldman. It was about Bruce Feirstein writing a draft for GoldenEye that was too BIG for GoldenEye, something huge happened. I spoke to Bruce Feirstein himself about it! (You can find it in the news archive) and he just described the story as "bulls***". He never wrote such a thing.

I'd have loved to have read that memo Zencat! I wonder if they did ever toy with the idea of Bond's son etc... I guess it's a possibility.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 03:11 AM

Mr Trump (27 Jul, 2001 08:32 p.m.):
*possible spoiler*
The latest rumour to surface about Bond 20 alleges that the plot will revolve around Bonds father. Apparantley Bond will discover that his father did not die with his mother in a climbing accident and that Q had concealed this from him for many years. Bond will learn that his father was in fact a 00 agent and this will apparantley figure heavilly in the plot.

Where did you hear/read that MrTrump. It sounds familiar. Did past rumours like this pop up at any stage? I can't recall right now.

And it does sound fan created Zencat. It sounds like something a fan would want and hence report. Mind you, it also sounds like something Brosnan would love. You can just imagine the emotion envoked by such a plot!

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 04:57 PM

It definitely sounds like a fan plot. "Final Assignment" -- does that sound like something Purvis & Wade or EON would come up with? "Q concelled the info from Bond"... He uses the past tense with Q which is a real tell. Q is NOT dead! The actor is dead! Only a fan would see Q as being "dead" in the next movie.

However, I am intrigued by the mention of New York as a location. Didn't some guy a while back post that he had won a contest that promised a trip to the Bond 20 set, and that he thought it was going to be in New York? What ever happened to the guy? I do like the idea of NYC as a major location, but the climax in the crown of the Statue of Liberty is right out of the old WARHEAD script.

#14 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 02:28 PM

Mr Trump (29 Jul, 2001 12:53 p.m.):
I don't think the rumour is true myself but I thought I would post it anyway. But if Bonds father was in the movie it could be quite intresting.

Yeah, I would like to see that too. But I don't think we will ever get to see into Bond's past in such a way, what with EON's "Always move forwards, never look back" policy that keeps being mentioned.

=
J

#15 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 11:53 AM

I don't think the rumour is true myself but I thought I would post it anyway. But if Bonds father was in the movie it could be quite intresting.

#16 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 11:32 AM

If one element of that "leak" from Bond20.com is real, I will eat my proverbial hat!

Most of those rumours started on the JB newsgroup... I guess someone has got a bit enthusiastic and spliced them all together.

That said, I would like to see the helicopter chase through NY! (But no other reason for Bond going to the US, again =)

=
J

#17 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 10:43 AM

Yup, sounds like some fan's enterprising attempt to get Connery to play Bond's Dad.
When you think about it, how implausible is it that in all his time at MI6 [or 7] nobody ever said to Bond, "Oh by the way, I used to work with your old man." Full marks though for working the discarded ice fall climb from TND into it, and the Sydney rumours.
Hey, if Connery's too expensive,maybe they could get George Lazenby to play Bond's Dad...or Roger Moore...?

#18 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 10:02 AM

If anybody believes this rumour then they've got rocks in their head. Still...the bit about the World Cup sounds related to the past rumour about that stadium in Cardiff ?, the city that Barbara Broccoli visited recently. The fan who wrote all this stuff obviously knew about that visit and concocted a scenario. The bit about the Statue Of Liberty sounds like it comes from the old WARHEAD script...and sounds great !. If anybody wants to know about the origins of the 00 Section, then read John Pearson's fictional bio of 007. In the YOLT novel, 007's obituary is inside it and contains some info about Bond's family history. His father Andrew was a representative for the old armanents firm, VICKERS and there's no evidence he had anything to do with the Secret Service (although anything is possible).
Some of this scenario sounds good to read but it tries too hard to explain all the past rumours, such as the BEYOND THE ICE title. I enjoyed reading it, but let's take it not with a grain of salt...but with a whole s***load of it.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 08:07 AM

Well the news is up now :)

http://www.commander...stnews&page=132 is the direct link to the article. Well what can I say? Do I believe it? No, not yet anyway. It seems far too 'fantastic' (ie. fantasy).

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 05:44 AM

Good Lord, what's going on!! I can't believe this rumour has become so large. Who the heck expanded it so much! Anyhow, I'll write up an article and post the link soon :)

#21 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 07:11 PM

Sorry I sent it in, Blue Eyes.

Anyway, I just remembered something that further supports the falsehood of this rumor- remember during pre-production of Bond 19 when a flurry of rumors circulated about Bond's son being in the film? That was a red herring, this is probably one too.

Dave

#22 R

R

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 06:23 PM

And if the main villain was Bond's father, there'd be too much of a creepy Empire Strikes Back vibe about it...

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 05:03 PM

Remember the early TWINE rumors that had a villain named "Vandela Twist" and had a climax set in the Outback... Some say this came from an early Purvis & Wade treatment for TWINE. (No, I've never read this treatment, but it was reported on in "007 Newsletter" #19 in 1998.) Well, maybe this is a similar situation? If it is legit, maybe it's an early Bond 20 plot which may or may not be used at all.

There's still something that feels very fan created about this, but I'm starting to get a little spooked. If it is true, there's more here than I wanna know.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 05:08 PM

Blue Eyes (30 Jul, 2001 01:00 a.m.):
I'd have loved to have read that memo Zencat! I wonder if they did ever toy with the idea of Bond's son etc... I guess it's a possibility.

No, I really think it was just a reference to the Electra twist. It was just a marketing memo that pitched upcoming MGM films so they tried to punch up the plot a bit -- as good marketers should do.