• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 02:19 AM

Pierce Brosnan
Neil Purivs and Robert Wade
David Arnold
Lee Tamahori

The Brosnan regulars. They have made the Brosnan Bond what he and the Brosnan Bond film are. And isnt it funny that for the most part they are all considered the modern day Sean Connery, Richard Maibum, John Barry, and Terence Young. Is the Brosnan Era the "second coming" and do we want all these people to stay for Bond 21???

#2 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 05:12 AM

I certainly don't have a problem with them staying! :)

#3 Mr Fisher

Mr Fisher

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 09:35 AM

I hope that once Brosnan has put up his shoulder holster for the last time that the regulars stay on.

I hope that Judi Dench, John Cleese and Samantha Bond stay as the office crew much like the fantastic trio of Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell and Desmond Llewellyn. It would be a real shame if they didn't having that continuity to carry the series on for the next actor as 007.

I think David Arnold said that the best way to introduce a new Bond is to surround him with the familiar.

I think David Arnold, Daniel Kleinman and Purvis & Wade should stay as long as possible. Providing the continuity early on in the series really help to get it started essentially same production team and crew for the first 5 films. Without the continuity there would be no series just a random collection of films.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 09:46 AM

I wouldn't call Tamahori a regular, he's only done one after all!

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Sir James

Lee Tamahori

...considered the modern day...Terence Young. Is the Brosnan Era the "second coming"...???

1. Is he thus considered? By whom, exactly?
2. Pierce Brosnan is Jesus. Discuss.

#6 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:49 PM

Oh boy, I can just hear Mike Meyers as Linda Richman...

"Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Pierce Brosnan is neither pierced nor bronzed."

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:24 PM

If Tamahori is the modern day anything, I'd say he was the modern day Lewis Gilbert.

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:31 PM

Definately. After all, the way I see it, DAD is a modern-day TSWLM.

#9 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 06:29 PM

...or modern day Moonraker (good or bad?)

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 09:35 PM

Originally posted by homerjbond
...or modern day Moonraker (good or bad?)

That depends if you like Moonraker or not I suppose.

#11 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:01 AM

Tamahori isn't a regular yet, and I hope he won't become one...I think his ideas on changing/updating Bond were stupid

#12 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:05 AM

I think he did a good job of making the movie look the times.

I'm just glad that they can put his name after the end of the credits without getting the whining that they got with doing the same with Spottiswoode. It's just not that big of a deal.

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 03:07 AM

Originally posted by 00Twelve

I'm just glad that they can put his name after the end of the credits without getting the whining that they got with doing the same with Spottiswoode. It's just not that big of a deal.

Care to elaborate on that? I don't recall anything like that with Spottiswoode, though I knew he was a pain in the neck.

Adam, as for you calling his ideas for updating Bond stupid? What do you propose they do? Make the same film over and over again? That would get quite dull.

#14 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 04:06 AM

I mean that there were all these fans who were saying "How dare they put the director's name over the movie AFTER the credit sequence has ended?" about TND and it just seemed to be a dumb issue to have against TND, which I thought was a decent Bond film.

And even though I was very satisfied with Tamahori's directing style, even if there are those who think he did a less than perfect job, just remember that nothing can surpass the bad quick cut editing of OHMSS and echo sfx during fights.

#15 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 04:36 AM

Pierce Brosnan - yes, as long as he looks the part

Neil Purivs and Robert Wade - yes

David Arnold - hell yes

Lee Tamahori - yes, as long as they hold him on a tighter leash and shoot down any stupid ideas he comes up with (I would have liked the Icarus control device to remain a glove as scripted). I love what he did with Die Another Day for the most part. Not more than another film though since his style could get stale after several films like Glen's seems to have done.

also:

Samantha Bond - Lois Maxwell's true sucessor. I didn't much care for her before as her Moneypenny was always flirtatious yet bitchy and seemed to be almost completely dropping the lust for Bond as sort of a political correctness thing. Now that Moneypenny is as she should be, I think she's perfect for the part and should stay around for at least 3 more films (though she says she's quitting when Brosnan quits).

John Cleese - PERFECT for Q. Desmond will be deeply missed but Cleese does an excellent job filling his position. I hope he stays around for as long as possible.

#16 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:09 AM

Adam, as for you calling his ideas for updating Bond stupid? What do you propose they do? Make the same film over and over again? That would get quite dull.

He said he thought Tamahori's "ideas on changing/updating Bond were stupid", not that changing/updating Bond was bad, that he didn't like Tamahori's ideas on the matter. In any case it's hardly suggesting "making the same film over and over", bit harsh there.

As for the current crop of regulars mentioned, John Cleese and David Aronld a tops. The rest are okay, but I wouldn't call them "the mordern Richard Maibum, John Barry, and Terence Young" and so on.

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Sir James
And isnt it funny that for the most part they are all considered the modern day Sean Connery, Richard Maibum, John Barry, and Terence Young.

Ah, come and observe the hollow core at the heart of the recent Bond films; surely better to be their original selves rather than be considered the 2nd [insert name here]?

What is gone is gone. What is here...also appears to be what is gone.

#18 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:44 PM

#19 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 12:47 PM

Originally posted by JimmyBond

That depends if you like Moonraker or not I suppose.

I did, until the last 30-40 minutes...kind of like DAD

#20 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Jim

Ah, come and observe the hollow core at the heart of the recent Bond films; surely better to be their original selves rather than be considered the 2nd [insert name here]?

Whatever the merits (or demirits, in some cases) may be on the current Bond films, I quite agree with your second statement there Jim. Of course saying someone is the "second something" is merely praising the person, in Sir James's case, he feels Mr. Tamahori has, actually I'm not quite sure what he means by comparing Tamahori to Young, but then again, saying someone is the second (someone) is all up to opinion.

Remember, one man's Terence Young is another man's John Glen.....interpret that however you want.

#21 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:38 PM

No, the last thing I want them to do is make the same film over & over again...but come on, throwing all those obvious homages in was so patronizing and way of saying "Now we can do whatever we want and make a ****ty action film"

It's just like that Ozzy Osbourne scene in that AWFUL Austin Powers 3 movie--it's like the filmmakers were saying "If we have Ozzy recognize the fact that we're replicating a joke from a previous film, we can use the joke because we're recognizing that we're repeating ourselves!"

I really don't feel like elaborating further, sorry, i have to take a nap

#22 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:41 PM

However, and this is one of the most mundane details ever, I liked how Tamahori chose to implement "London Calling" with the sky-diving scene...for some reason that seemed a very contemporary move despite the age of the song

Maybe I'm completely off?

#23 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:43 PM

Well, to be fair, Tamahori had nothing to do with the homages. That was a decision on the part of the producers and writers. I don't consider the homages patronizing, now you may feel different, but to state it as fact is a bit naff don't you think?

Then again, you're problems with DAD seem to be more than just with Tamahori, to that I have to say, you can't judge a director on a film made by comittee. His inlfuence on the film is not as big as you may think.

#24 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 11:49 PM

I dunno about Tamahori staying. DAD was fine, it was just what the series needed: a good, swift kick in the pants to put it back on the radar. I don't really want Bond 21 to be as... how do I put it, revolutionarily weird as DAD.

DAD was weird to get attention and to say that the Bond series will.. ya know, die another day. :) Bond 21 should be back to business for the most part. Keep it updated in a lot of ways, but get it closer to the more normal Bond mode. If Tamahori can do that, without freaking everyone out by breaking even more rules, than maybe he can direct Bond 21.

Know what I'mean?

#25 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 11:55 PM

Oh yeah, I like David Arnold a lot. However, is it just me or was some of the music in DAD recycled from TWINE. Certain parts sounded the same to me.

#26 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 03:26 AM

Then again, you're problems with DAD seem to be more than just with Tamahori, to that I have to say, you can't judge a director on a film made by comittee. His inlfuence on the film is not as big as you may think.

Well thanks for the condescending filmmaking lesson, but I'm aware of how movies are made, especially these particular ones. I remember reading on this very site that Tamahori loved the homages, and he believed that they were a true way of connecting the series to its predecessors.

#27 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 05:01 AM

Ah...so much to tackle...so little time --

Pierce Brosnan as Jesus. I wouldn't open that door for you Jim if you paid me. Crucify him yourself. ;-)

Purvis and Wade are allowed to stay as long as they keep giving us strong women characters like Elektra King, Miranda Frost and Jinx Jordan. Give us another Dr. Jones and they must go.

Lee Tamahori...absolutely, again, as long as he is stripped of the notion that having Bond surf on a ice wave is a good idea.

Vic Armstrong: An absolute must. Note well...no one has blamed him for the bad stunts...in fact, some folks have gone so far as to wonder if he has been angered by the editing job.

Whoever is responsible for the CGI: Unless he agrees to work Industrial Light and Magic, he is fired.

Samantha Bond: She should stay....and Hell, I would like to see her go on after Brosnan is gone, but she has said that she will leave with him, because she considers him the best Bond, and will work with nothing less.

Judi Dench: Definately should stay past Pierce Brosnan.

John Cleese: See above.

Colin Salmon: Should stay and get bigger role.

Dude who plays Bill Tanner: See above.

That's it from me.

-- Xenobia

#28 jeff319

jeff319

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 05:07 AM

I've never liked Judi Dench as 'M.' She annoys the hell out of me, and frankly I hate seeing Bond get into snippy PC arguments with her.

#29 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:36 PM

i think that samantha bond and judi dench should leave when pierce does, they came in with him let them leave together. i really feel that each new bond should have they own team, let each new bond have his own m or moneypenny......dalton had his own moneypenny. as for john cleese he can stay untill he is as old as the firsrt Q for all i care.