This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

This time, its personal....please, not this time!

14 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:21 PM

As long as we have a thread asking for no snow....

Ok, first I dont mind the personal storylines in Bond films, I do think they add a bit of drama, making the stakes that much bigger for Bond. Do we really have to have a personal storyline in each film? Ever since LTK we've had something happen to Bond that got him involved in the mission on a personal level. Ever since LTK, THATS FIVE FILMS IN A ROW!!

How about for Bond21, Bond just works on a normal mission eh :)

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:54 PM

I agree. For as much as Die Another Day went back to the classic style, it still left the personal aspect. Even worse, most of the time it's involved someone Bond trusted being a traitor.

For Bond 21 I want the standard formula of alliances: the obvious villain, the obvious villainess, the minor sacrificial lamb good girl, and the good girl that lives and Bond is with at the end. No traitors and twists or anything.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:56 PM

Amen.

#4 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 01:55 AM

TND was the most traditional by far, even though the Paris subplot made it "personal." However, except for the scene in which he actually finds Paris dead, he doesn't seem particularly shaken up about it.

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 05:53 AM

Ok, in TND instead of being pissed, he's just slightly miffed :)

#6 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 11:13 AM

I couldn't agree more - Bond 21 should be a normal mission, let's skip the personal stuff for a few films.

#7 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 12:53 PM

Agreed. While making it 'personnel' may give the opportunity to add in some tense scenes etc, we've had that for the last few films (going back to TLD I belive)

#8 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 04:19 PM

What is a "normal" mission anyway? EVERY mission is personal to Bond - a lot is a stake. Often if he fails the consequences will be horrendous. That makes it pretty personal (if Bond fails, he's responsible for the bad guy's actions).

Bond is a human being, he has feelings - you can't hide that. He's not a superhero. He's a well trained, well armed agent.

Honestly, only Sean Connery could pull that off anyway. Roger Moore seemed like a cartoon Bond when it wasn't personal. Maybe Brosnan can do it, maybe he can't - but if he can't, and there's nothing in it for Bond other than the mission itself, Brosnan's performance may end up like his performance for the last 45 minutes of DAD: very robotic.

If you thought the reviews of DAD were harsh (how many people have called for MGM/EON putting an end to Bond?), just wait until you've got Robo-Bond for an entire movie.

I understand wanting to see the calm, cool Bond, but that was largely a by-product of Connery's performances, and there's only one Connery.

#9 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 04:26 PM

No way, for a few reasons:

1. This is a Brosnan Bond film. And in a Brosnan Bond film (as in perfected in TWINE and continued in DAD) A few things happen:
1. Bond is betrayed in one way or another.
2. Bond is personally affected by another character in the story, usually the villian.
3. Bond is somehow used by a woman.

These three things are Brosnan trademarks. Personally I love them, and they are what make TWINE, and DAD the top two classics of the series. But on a more fact standpoint, this is what we have come to expect from the Brosnan Bonds. So I am willing to bet that if you want a different approach, you will have to find a new leading man...

#10 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 05:16 PM

I like the "personal" aspects in the last two Bond films, but I definitely would like to see Bond 21 be a film with cut-and-dried alliances for a change.

If Bond film after Bond film features someone who betrays Bond or has suspect loyalties, it becomes predictable. The minute you meet a certain character, you'll think, "Well, she's obviously going to side with the villain...."

Going back to a less "personal" and less guesswork-intensive film would at least break the trend. Now of course, this might lead to a bland and surprise-free Bond film, so I guess it's not as easy as it first sounds.

#11 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 05:25 PM

I agree with jimmybond and everyone else that the more classic style is needed, even if they try it for one bond film it would be good

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:42 AM

Now, I think we all agree MR is a pretty 'classic' film in the sense that it had the OTT stuff with cut-and-dried baddies.

But remember Jaws? Didn't it make you cry more to see him left in the space station than OHMSS' ending?

#13 WhiteKnightBond

WhiteKnightBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 04:32 PM

Especially if it's PB's swansong, it would be good if they just gave Bond a straight ahead mission. Go find the nuclear warheads and kill the badguy and all. ;-)

#14 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:38 PM

There's always something personal about Bond, if you look hard enough, he's is own man, it just comes out more in some films then others, but on a mission as well, it's like and death at times, something personal does linger about, even if business is covering alot of it.

#15 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:43 PM

Originally posted by WhiteKnightBond
Especially if it's PB's swansong, it would be good if they just gave Bond a straight ahead mission. Go find the nuclear warheads and kill the badguy and all. ;-)

I don't think that would be fitting for Pierce's last, it's got to be his Bond on a journey, alot of fans always like Bond showing more of himself, there is a interest there, and Pierce's has given up alot of character moments for action already, there's been more mission stuff then personal stuff in his films, I think a hard edge Bond journey for Brosnan is about due, DAD didn't fully go with it until the end of the movie, his 5th should.