9 replies to this topic

#1 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 05:16 PM

Has anyone else noticed that snow and ice have been in all of the Brosnan movies? I think its long time that they went for something original and went to Africa or Austrailia.

#2 MrJango

MrJango

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 06:11 PM

i absolutly love the idea of bond going to africa. it just HAS to happen sometime before this decade is over.

as for your complaint about ice, it doesnt really bother me. snow didnt really have much screen time in TND.

#3 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 06:24 PM

I agree - too much snow gets excessive, although I don't remember much in TND. Let's go back to sandy beaches, exotic jungles, mediterranean villas etc. We should also throw in a bottle of Lamb's Navy Rum somewhere, as that is a British drink but also seems to be associated with some exotic country like Jamaica. Plus Caroline Munro was an ex Lamb's girl.

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:16 PM

Snow only featured in the pre-titles of Brosnan's first two films, so those dont really count (too much). I do however, agree, more exotic locations, snow isnt exactly exotic eh :)

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:42 PM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
Snow only featured in the pre-titles of Brosnan's first two films, so those dont really count (too much). I do however, agree, more exotic locations, snow isnt exactly exotic eh :)

Oh? So it must have been OHMSS or FYEO when I thought I was watching TWINE last time. I could swear there was skiing and paragliders and snow in TWINE :)

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 10:09 PM

JimmyBond - snow doesn't just feature in the pre-title's of GoldenEye. The whole Severnaya thing afterwards is full of snow!

#7 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 11:31 PM

Originally posted by stromberg

Oh? So it must have been OHMSS or FYEO when I thought I was watching TWINE last time. I could swear there was skiing and paragliders and snow in TWINE  :)

Don't be silly! Bond was skiing down a dry ski slope! :)

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 12:48 AM

Originally posted by stromberg

Oh? So it must have been OHMSS or FYEO when I thought I was watching TWINE last time. I could swear there was skiing and paragliders and snow in TWINE  :)

The point, I was trying to make, was that snow featured very little in Pierce's first two films. Obviously it didnt come off too well :)

#9 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 03:47 AM

Snow in Bond films:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Lots. Most of the movie is set in the Alps.

Live And Let Die: NONE!

The Man With The Golden Gun: NONE!

The Spy Who Loved Me: The pre-title sequence in Austria.

Moonraker: NONE!

For Your Eyes Only: There is snow everywhere when Bond is in the Alps.

A View To A Kill: The pre-title sequence is set in Siberia.

The Living Daylights: When Bond is helping Kara Milovy defect from Bratislava (not sure what country) into Austria.

Liscense to Kill: NONE!

GoldenEye: LOTS of it here: in the pre-title Archangel Dam scene, Severnya (where the GoldenEye is stolen from), St. Petersburg (given it is melting)

Tomorow Never Dies: In the pre-title sequence Arms Bazzar. If you read some early drafts of the script, there was a lot more to this scene, involving Bond skiing and ice climbing.

The World Is Not Enough: Bond goes skiing with Electra and is attacked by parahawks while checking the oil pipeline.

Die Another Day: Almost an hour of it is set in Iceland.

As you can see only FOUR movies since OHMSS (when snow was first seen in the Bond world), has it not been included in some form. I think it would bee nice to go back to exotic warm tropical climates like in the Connery era. Also, since they now always release the films in November, which is Winter, it would be an even more exotic escape from reality to see palm trees and coconuts than snow, which I can see outside.

#10 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 05:33 PM

5-you forgot DAF

I agree, no snow,

bond has only been to S. America once (moonraker)
never been to central/southern africa, only been to tunisia, morocco, egypt, and so on

Oceania (indonesia, Australia, New Zealand)

Mexico (no, he did NOT go there in LTK)

Hawaii