Remaking old Bond movies

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nap

Nap

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 06:37 AM

It will probably never be done, but just out of curiosity I thought I'd try to see what all of you would think about having older Bond titles redone. While many of us would consider it "sacrilege", it would be interesting to see movies such as "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" redone, since the storyline was so wonderful and George Lazenby was, for the most part, a forgettable Bond.

Also, can someone tell me why we don't see Bond movies based on the John Gardner books? They had good characters (remember Nina Blofeld in Icebreaker?) and were consistent with Fleming's image of Bond.

#2 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:04 PM

Lazenby wasn't anymore forgettable than Dalton was.

#3 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 10:57 PM

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely remember hearing some time ago that Brosnan wanted to redo OHMSS for one of his films. Obviously nothing came out of it, though the plot for TWINE is certainly similar. Brosnan loved that story.

#4 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 11:12 PM

OHMSS is one of the best in the series. You can't remake classics, or any Bond films really. Honest remakes. Its like making Casablanca, it's bound to be someone's favourite.

#5 NotStirred

NotStirred

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 09:39 PM

George La..what? kidding :)
but redoing Bonds would be terrible! sad and pathetic... i hope that studios will never get that desparate for cash.... :)

#6 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 11:49 PM

Oh, I totally agree. These movies should not be remade, as no classic movie should. Anyone else remember Gus Van Sant's "Psycho"? Thankfully, few people do.

I hear that Hollywood is planning to remake "The Manchurian Candidate" with Denzel Washington and "Strangers on a Train".

This news should bring a tear to the eye of anyone who's seen these movies. It brought one to mine....but I digress. Bottom line, Hollywood sucks, I...wait, what was I talking about?

Oh yes. Don't remake Bond movies. That is all.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 05:29 AM

Not even remaking TMWTGG, or YOLT, or LALD, or MR? Or how about DAD? It hasn't passed into 'classic' phase yet, and I've got some damn good ideas for it.

#8 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 06:13 AM

Big no, no. 98% of the time remakes are trashed to death. The only real exception is perhaps The Thomas Crown Affair. But the chance of Bond remakes being screwed up is awfully high. Besides, it would take away the elements that was Bond in the 60's etc... Goldfinger isnt exactly an Action film to today

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:02 PM

The only reason I would like to see these films remade (though I have strong reservations) is because so much could have been done with the novels' stories. So far, only 4 of the 16 'classic' Bond films have been largely based on their respective books.

We could make new films using these novels' plots, but an assassin that uses...silver bullets, or another villain who smuggles diamonds would not seem very clever, so why not just admit the film is a remake.

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 10:58 PM

What about remaking TND, or the last half of DAD? The actors are around to use again, and the films have not passed into 'classic' phase yet, so they are the most feasible for remakes.

One thing that definitely should be done is re'doing' the special effects, rear-screen projection, et cetera of the early films. I have to admit that I'd rather have CGI-parasurfing than corny animation of missiles glowing red. I hope people agree on this as it does not compromise the 'classicness' of the film, and will not insult the writers, actors, directors, et al.

#11 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 04:57 AM

Look at Never Say Never Again...

Sure, it wasn't spearheaded by EON, but still...

Never seen it myself, but I believe that "The Truth About Charlie" was supposed to have been a rather ****ty movie, the remake of one of my favorite movies, "Charade", with Cary Grant. Marky Mark as Cary Grant? Who dreamed that one up??? Pierce Brosnan would've been good for that role, but still - leave the classics alone.

LEAVE DAD ALONE TOO! Many of us like it as is.

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:52 AM

I only mean replacing the crazy unrelenting action with better crazy, unrelenting action.

A Royal marines assault on the ice palace, to be precise.

#13 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 08:31 PM

Why not spend the time and energy of remaking a Bond film with writing a newer, and possibly, better one? Remakes are Hollywood's way of cheating the public for cash. Bond doesn't deserve that. Look at NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. It had a few improvements over THUNDERBALL yet it failed where THUNDERBALL didn't while still suffering from any flaws that THUNDERBALL had.

And to add to Icephoenix's list:

A VIEW TO A KILL also followed a similar plotline to GOLDFINGER

GF: Villain plans to contaminate America's gold supply, while his gold raises in value.
AVTAK: Villain plans to destroy Silicon Valley, while his computer chips raise in value.

Simple explanations of the plot, I know, but the same overall idea.

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 05:27 AM

there,s part of me that would like to see eon remake FRWL with pierce, i think it might be really fun to see how he would look in that movie.