Ben Cross

4 replies to this topic

#1 Nap

Nap

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 06:11 AM

For years now I have thought that Ben Cross would make the consummate James Bond. I'm very happy with Pierce Brosnan, but it would be nice to Cross to be considered when Pierce "retires". Hopefully Cross won't be too old (he looks mid-late 40's). If you have ever seen the movie "Live Wire", I think that Cross looks just like James Bond in that film. Ironically, Cross plays the villain and Brosnan of all actors plays the hero in that flick.

Cross doesn't have the golden boy good looks of PB, but his screen presence and confidence emanate strongly on the screen, and he has that small bit of mysteriousness in his mannerisms.

Just curious if anyone else out there has ever thought of him as a possible Bond.

#2 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 02:57 PM

Ben Cross would make a better villain than a James Bond. In fact, it might've been better if he'd played Graves in DAD than Toby Stevens, as he would've added the necessary gravitas to the role, as well as being the right age and seeming like someone who could become a knight.

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 03:01 PM

NAP - welcome to CBN. Nice to see you've joined the wonderful CBN - you'll have lots of fun talking about 007.

I must see a picture of this Ben Cross, although I think Jason Isaacs would make a good Bond.

see you around Nap!

#4 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 03:34 PM

Ben Cross played in Chariots of Fire as the Jewish runner. He also played opposite Sean Connery & Richard Gere in "First Knight" as the villain.

As for Jason Isaacs, while there is some resemblance to Timothy Dalton, isn't his hairline a bit on the receding side - he'd need a toupee before he's even made his first film. Even Connery didn't do that.

#5 Nap

Nap

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 04:46 PM

Ritz, thank you for the kind welcome. This is a great forum and I plan to check it often. As for Ben Cross, he has appeared in dozens of films, but his most notable roles were in Chariots of Fire, Live Wire, and First Knight (where he played archvillain Malevaunt - sp?).

I'm sure a brief search will turn up pictures of Cross, though many of his roles have included vampires, etc., so it may be best to see him as he was in Live Wire and First Knight, as those look the most like the Bond I have envisioned (a touch of harshness about him that Fleming always referred to).