Is Blofeld a Definite No-No?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sherlock007

Sherlock007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 05:54 PM

With all the legal wranglings regarding SPECTRE, Blofeld, and Kevin McClory, I wonder if we've definitely seen the last of the chrome-domed, cat-stroking, world-dominating villain. If EON got the rights back, why the hesitation? I know they did a whole profile on Bond in that DK book "World of 007" (not sure of the title). There are only three reasons I can think for never bringing him back.

1. The producers really hate Kevin McClory, and felt they satisfactorily dealt with Blofeld in For Your Eyes Only.

2. They don't think SPECTRE is a realistic criminal organization for today's time.

3. Dr. Evil! They don't want Blofeld laughed off the screen, since most young punks are more familiar with the Mike Myers parody than the Donald Pleasance original! (I know there were previous unseen Blofelds, but bear with me Bond quibblers!)

Well, I don't think FYEO was an appropriate resolution of the Bond/Blofeld rivalry. A delicatessen in stainless steel? What the heck?James Bond fans deserve to see one last Bond/Blofeld confrontation.

And, as to the other criticism, with a few modifications, SPECTRE could be a realistic terrorist group. Why not call them "Shatterhand" for the time being? This outfit could be a thorn in the sides of many countries, causing horrible incidents -- not in a bid for world domination, but to extort money and cause chaos. And then, when the time is right (the next film), just have James Bond expose them as the resurrected SPECTRE!

As to the Dr. Evil parallel, well, all they gotta do is cast somebody with some real acting chops, dispose of the Nehru jackets, and keep the cat-stroking to a minimum. Like the novel YOLT, the character could be named Dr. Guntram Shatterhand and have a hidden Castle/Garden of Death base of operations in Japan. They could even make reference to the extensive plastic surgery (as the DK book did) Blofeld has undergone by having previous "faces" somewhere in the background (Pleasance, Telly Savalas, Charles Gray). Though Christopher Lee, Anthony Hopkins, and Patrick Stewart would be good choices, somone slightly more physically threatening to Bond (i.e. closer to Pierce's age, as Savalas was with Lazenby in OHMSS) might be a better move. Heck, if they just didn't make him bald, then the Dr. Evil comparison would be even more reduced.

My idea would be to have a Bond movie called "Shatterhand" that introduced the terrorist group and their mysterious leader. Bond would destroy their Japanese base, yet the leader would get away, but not before he was revealed as Blofeld. This would lead into the next movie -- "Spectre of the Past" -- in which Bond would finally kill Blofeld in a definitive way, avenging Tracy and thrilling Bond fans worldwide...

Hell, they could just do the "Shatterhand" thing without making an overt reference to Blofeld, and diehard fans would like it.

Any thoughts?

#2 jeff319

jeff319

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 11:15 PM

Cool idea, I've never liked the way Blofeld was handled in FYEO. It'd be great to bring him back, but they'd have to mess with his clothes so he's not overly "Dr. Evil-ish"

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Sherlock007

3. Dr. Evil! They don't want Blofeld laughed of the screen, since most young punks are more familiar with Mike Myers parody than Donald Pleasance original! (I know there were previous unseen Blofelds, but bear with me Bond quibblers!)

I've read many times that Mike Myers has (inadvertently) killed off Blofeld far more effectively than even any wrangling over who owns the rights to the character. But if they DID bring Blofeld back, I'd say bring him back in all his glory, with the bald head, grey Mao suit and white cat.

There's a chance (well, more than a chance!) that the "young punks" would think Dr Evil had wandered into the picture and would come out of the cinema wondering what had happened to Mini-Me.

But there's also the possibility that audiences would go wild over the reappearance of Bond's arch enemy. Certainly, Bond fans like us would be going beserk. Blofeld is a classic part of 007's universe, after all, regardless of the Austin Powers pisstakes.

Would audiences accept Blofeld again after Dr Evil? I think they would. In fact, Dr Evil might well help create that acceptance, indeed create a demand to see Blofeld come back. Sure, a lot of people would sneer, and maybe some critics would sniff and ask rhetorically whether Broccoli and Wilson had heard of Mike Myers, but here's a question:

If someone asks you to think of a Bond villain, who do you immediately think of?

I can't think of anyone better than Blofeld (first choice: a bald Anthony Hopkins, very Lecter, I know) for Brosnan to battle, especially in Brosnan's farewell outing.

#4 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 08:02 PM

While I would love to see Blofeld return as he did in the earlier films, I know for a fact it would not go over well. Critics are all ready comparing DAD's Ice Palace and "space laser" to the Powers movies, saying that underground lairs and super weapons have become parodied to the point of no return.

However, Blofeld should return to the series...as he appeared in the novels. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the novel's Blofeld was nothing like the movie's (in appearance at least). He was physically imposing with jet black hair and dark eyes. They could bring him back as a mastermind, but also as a physical threat to Bond (much like he was in OHMSS). Personally, I would love to see Rober DeNiro in the role, but I see little chance in that so how about...James Gandolfini? Or perhaps someone more closer to Blofeld's dutch origins like Stellan Skarsgaard.

Either way he should return...maybe not looking exactly as he used to, but still the same character.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Max Zorin
Critics are all ready comparing DAD's Ice Palace and "space laser" to the Powers movies, saying that underground lairs and super weapons have become parodied to the point of no return.

Well, I think that's just a very easy and lazy way of knocking the Bond series. And it's all the more reason why the franchise should, in my opinion, stake its claim to what rightfully belongs to the world of 007.

After all, SPACEBALLS and other parodies didn't seem to affect George Lucas' post-RETURN OF THE JEDI episodes of STAR WARS. Austin Powers also parodies M, Union Jack parachutes, secret agents in sports cars and the like, and yet all of these elements are present in DIE ANOTHER DAY without being hooted off the screen (not by everyone, anyway), so I don't see why Blofeld should be out-of-bounds for this reason.

However, I agree with you that a Blofeld with a new look might be good (although if that happened the filmmakers would be accused of running scared of the Dr Evil parody, so maybe they couldn't win at all if they brought Blofeld back - someone will always bring up Austin Powers).

James Gandolfini - superb idea.

#6 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 08:34 PM

I think he should return. Hugely disfigured. He should stay in the background... a pathetic old man who can still whield power over nations. I would ease us into him. Maybe one film the villian could be hinted at being a SPECTRE agent rather than launching us straight into Blofeld... and in 3 or 4 years I doubt Dr Evil will be on everyone's lips like he is now.

#7 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:11 PM

I say: bring him back just once more before Brosnan leaves the franchise. And make it right, cast Patrick Stewart! Let Bond take a proper revenge for Tracy's death. This time, it's personal!

Just imagine a scene like Brosnan/Bond beeing captured and taken to Blofeld like in YOLT, entering headquarters with Blofeld's back on him, seeing the bald man from behind, staring in disbelief and when he finally turns around, grinning: "Good evening, 007".

In this time, where all those face-changey etc. devices are possible in the Bond universe, where's the problem in bringing back the master-villain himself?

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:22 PM

I don't think they can bring Blofeld back while Myers movies are still recent.

#9 igs007

igs007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:47 PM

Yeah let's see what Myers does with Powers..

But one thought- if Bond 21 is Brosnan's last, I'd love to see Blofeld there V Brosnan's Bond.

On the other hand, if not that-start with blofeld V the next new Bond in 2007(or whenever).

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 10:12 PM

I see no reason why Blofeld cant come back while the Austin Powers movies are still being made. Keep in mind that Dr. Evil has a very distinct look and is influence by Pleasance's Blofeld. Since then we have had 2 different actors play Blofeld, much better IMHO (well, Charles Gray is debatable :)).

He doesnt necessarily have to have the white cat (though that might upset some fans), I think if they cast Patrick Stewart, they could get away with using Blofeld and not having people "laugh him off the screen" Besides, people dont automatically equate Dr. Evil with Blofeld, not everyone is a Bond fan you know :)

#11 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 01:45 AM

WAIT! I know, how about we have Myers play Blofeld!!!!

J/K of course, but it would be funny (if it wouldn't completely ruin everything the Bond series is about) to see a comical Blofeld making fun of a serious Bond....lol!