Our suggestions for BOND 25

44 replies to this topic

#31 Greene's Driver

Greene's Driver

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

I think in DAF the producers have replaced them with Blofeld and Spectre because of the previous films. The Spangs are always regarded as little impressive villains. But for the screenwriters that would not be the big problem, because Le Chiffre and Goldfinger were IMO in the novels also not as impressive as in the films.

I think the producers have two major problems with the Spangs. On the one hand they are a villainous duo (not the one big bad guy) and on the other hand the producers probably never liked the idea that Bond travels to the US and fights in the Dashiell Hammett & Raymond Chandler style against american mobsters. In addition, the Spangs would need a modern and really threatening plan. Diamond smuggling is not enough.

All of these problems are certainly solvable. The characters should be upgraded, expanded and more complex. Bond against a psychopathic brother duo could become a very exciting constellation, because the Spangs other than Khan and Orlov in OP for example are not pure business partners, but compete as a family clan against 007. Since there is much more dramaturgical potential.

The only point that is really difficult is the big, evil plan that the Spangs should pursue. What should that be? Yes, of course you could use the old GF plot with the resource shortage in a certain way (diamonds instead of gold), but that leads to a series of difficulties. As a matter of fact, most of the diamonds are won in Africa and especially in South Africa. So, Bond and the Spangs would also have to settle the conflict there. But how do you get them back to the United States? Why should 007 just meet Leiter here? I think the charm is somehow in the fact that Bond is fighting the Spangs in their own sphere of influence.

I think the glittering world of Las Vegas and the Death Valley are still exciting and great locations. Specifically, Spectreville and the following train chase are a very exciting and atmospherically dense passage in the novel. In the 1971 film, I found the Vegas and desert scenes basically atmospherically implemented, but overall I see there still much potential. We had already several times Venice, Istanbul and the Bahamas, why should Bond not be a second time in Las Vegas? As I said, the only problematic thing is the great operation that 007 has to prevent. Perhaps it would be wise for the producers to throw the entire diamond plot out. This was also used in the 1971 fim so that the writers could choose a fresh, new plot approach.

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright - if Craig is back) could also get a bigger part in the story. In the novel, he is a real help for Bond and not just the brave buddy as in most films.

Yeah, that's what I'd like to see as well. Especially if Madeleine is killed early on. Felix could serve as Bond's moral support, and if the role was big enough, it could result in the two of them pairing up during a mission.

#33 mummyboy11

mummyboy11

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

Today I was reading the Bond On Bond book by Roger Moore and saw a little caption under one of the photos (of Barbra I think) where Roger asks her to make him a villain.

Just for kicks, what former Bond, storyline and maybe a smart punch line would he have in a Bond movie playing a villain...let's say with Craig ''cause he's still the serving Bond?

Do you think it would be so far-fetched to have a former Bond as a villain? Connery would be something, uh? Doing one final movie as a Bond villain. XD

Edited by mummyboy11, 22 May 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#34 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:54 AM

The only former Bond I could see this working with would be Dalton.

Connery and Moore are too old and the story would likely suffer because of it.

Brosnan is still too recognizable as Bond, and would thus feel too gimmicky and be a distraction.

Lazenby would likely be incapable of putting in a decent performance, let alone even cooperating with the rest of the cast and crew. 

But Dalton.... I think he'd be just right.

As an aside, I'd be fine with Benicio del Toro returning as well. He is both the right age and capable of delivering a solid performance. Most of us wouldn't even picture Dario in our heads anymore at this point. 

#35 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Tomorrow Never Dies ended with "In loving memory of ALBERT R. "CUBBY" BROCCOLI."

It would be nice if they can have a similar tribute to Sir Roger Moore at the end of Bond 25.

#36 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

Tomorrow Never Dies ended with "In loving memory of ALBERT R. "CUBBY" BROCCOLI."

It would be nice if they can have a similar tribute to Sir Roger Moore at the end of Bond 25.

I second this.

#37 mummyboy11

mummyboy11

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

I'm certain they won't forget about it at the end title sequence.

Huge loss!

He played his role as Bond with a certain ease that didn't at all diminish his acting, on the contrary, it made me feel closer to the character and regarding as more approachable.  I guess that's why even today people appreciate his movies despite a weak plot or exhuberant ideas here and there.

And off screen...pfff! What a gentleman! 

RIP, Sir Roger.

#38 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:28 PM

They should let him walk the gun barrel one last time at the end of the credits.

#39 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:46 PM

As an aside, I'd be fine with Benicio del Toro returning as well. He is both the right age and capable of delivering a solid performance. Most of us wouldn't even picture Dario in our heads anymore at this point. 

Agreed.

That would be a lovely and classy gesture.  I am in full support.

I only have one particular wish list item, which I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: Stuart Baird back in the editor's chair.  CR and SF had him in common, and it showed; consequently, QOS and SP didn't, and it also showed.

Dave

#40 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:20 AM

I second this.

Me too. They should do it.

#41 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

Absolutely.

#42 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

Without a doubt.

#43 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

I always wanted him to do a cameo as 001.

He maintained an office at Pinewood for years after "retiring"

Some one better pay homage.

#44 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:10 AM

I only have one particular wish list item, which I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: Stuart Baird back in the editor's chair.  CR and SF had him in common, and it showed; consequently, QOS and SP didn't, and it also showed.

Dave

I had this exact same thought the other day, but discarded it as Stuart Baird hasn't directed a film since Star Trek: Nemesis killed his directorial career.  But this could work.  He certainly wouldn't cost much.

#45 Scot Balazs

Scot Balazs

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

Hi all, was a member many many years ago and have decided to come back...
What I have been thinking about a lot recently is the action.

There are many action franchises out there at the moment (Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible etc) that seem to up the action ante with every film, its almost like they hold a meeting prior to production simply to say "how can we top the action from the last one". They push the envelope in terms of action scenes with every film.

Now dont get me wrong, yes a lot of these scenes are so OTT it loses touch with reality often, and I love that since the reboot of the series they have tried to make the action as real as possible, one thing I am disappointed in is the action scenes.

Bond is part and parcel and synonymous with the action genre, and I believe they should be the front runners and the revolutionists when it comes to action scenes, I thought they would be with the hiring of Dan Bradley (might be wrong on his name sorry!!) , however I am still left wanting more when it comes to the action scenes.

There is enough realism and down to earth action they could come up with surely, with the amazing stunt men and women and stunt co-ordinators out there in Hollywood today, surely they could do much better.

So my suggestion for the next one and all of them following, I would like to see bigger and better action pieces, pushing the envelope and revolutionising the action co-ordination.

Feel free to agree/disagree

PS- glad to be back!!