Which country should Bond visit next?

23 replies to this topic

#1 AngusMcLean

AngusMcLean

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:03 AM

So which country would you like to see Bond visit next? There are plenty of places he's been to, many more than once, but how about somewhere he hasn't been before?

My nomination is New Zealand.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Sadly nowadays the decision which countries feature prominently in a Bond film is primarily one of taxes and incentives, both on the side of the actual location and on the producing side. So generally those countries with a well-established system of subsidies tend to end up in the pole position for productions and scripts are tweaked to the needs of making the most out of these options.

If that need wasn't the deciding factor I'd opt for Africa as a major setting for a whole film. The continent offers numerous diverse sceneries and spectacular sights we seldom get to see in a Bond film today. New Zealand is just as interesting and already has got some of the necessary infrastructure. Norway/Sweden/Finland would likewise add a bit of fresh air to a Bond film.

#3 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

Africa would be great. 

Canada 

Poland

Australia 

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:03 AM

Would it be imaginable that Bond finds a truly evil madman in the United States?

#5 AngusMcLean

AngusMcLean

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

Would it be imaginable that Bond finds a truly evil madman in the United States?

Hmmm, maybe a SPECTRE agent planted in a political party, in the final Presidential election campaign? Terror attacks on US soil to whip up the fervor, and Bond partnered with a beautiful CIA agent?

#6 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

Finland.

Edited by MISALA1994, 03 November 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:12 PM

Not wanting to go too deep into this, but I believe the fact of an investigation as such doesn't count for anything else but the fact of the investigation. What conclusion one draws from this is entirely up to anybody's guess - and just as inconsequential. As long as there is no case in court no judge can find a verdict.

But as I said, we won't go deeper into this.

#8 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

Not wanting to go too deep into this, but I believe the fact of an investigation as such doesn't count for anything else but the fact of the investigation.

...and those high-level leaks coming from the FBI not to mention those highly incriminating hacked emails out there for all to see. Mind you, just because a candidate has been accused of treating women badly - *cough* Donald Trump *cough* Bill Clinton *cough* - may also mean nothing especially where there is no criminal investigation, let alone charges or a conviction.

But as I said, we won't go deeper into this.

Aren't those the same words DOJ director Loretta Lynch told FBI director James Comey? Sorry, couldn't resist. :D :D :D

As you've eloquently said before, this is a Bond fan forum. Not a political forum. Plenty of those around. So I'll concede that my post is pushing far too firmly against "the line" - no doubt stretching it out of shape - and leave it at that.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Awww, I know how it is, the whole bloody world is holding its breath till next week. That Lego-forum I visit each afternoon for example turned into molten bricks over the whole ballyhoo...

#10 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

In the interests of bipartisanship, how's this for an American-set plot?

Spectre infiltrates both main US political parties and wins their top two agents the nominations.

In a race against time Bond fights to expose Spectre's nefarious plot before election day. Bond joins forces with his buddy Felix Leiter currently on leave from the CIA. Felix is working on Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson's presidential campaign and has to teach Johnson where the f... Aleppo is. When Bond arrives, a very dejected Felix is filling out Canadian immigration forms. Upon seeing his British buddy, Felix brightens and asks if the British Secret Service is still hiring. "Hey James, any chance you can get me in with those Syrian refugees? Shave my beard give me a pack of crayons and a coloring book and I can pretend I'm only twelve just as easily as any of those bearded Syrian refuges (Okay, okay, stop groaning!)

The film's climax features election day chaos. Mile-long line-ups at the polls, never budging an inch. Nation-wide power outages? Terrorist acts? Russian computer hacking? A special nerve gas that freezes people once they're inside the voting booth? Not quite. Across the nation millions of voters are stuck inside the booths staring at the choices, saying to themselves "Two. Worst. Candidates. Ever."

The end of "No Candidates Worth Voting For, Mr. Bond". But James Bond and Felix Leiter will return in "Relax, the 2018 mid-terms are only two years away." Dum Di-Di-Di-Dee Dum Dum Dum Dum Di-Di-Di-Dee Dum Dum Dum..........

#11 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

Holy electorate-rat...

#12 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:21 AM

How about any country south of the equator? He hardly ever has any adventures down there.

#13 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:37 AM

Well, there has been Chile, a bit of Brasilia, a tiny piece of Afrika staged in Pinewood - but in general it's spot-on, much too few happens on the southern half of the globe. I believe it would be possible to change this, provided there is a way to shoot on location for a realistic budget. We'll see how things develop in the future.

#14 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

Well, there has been Chile, a bit of Brasilia, a tiny piece of Afrika staged in Pinewood - but in general it's spot-on, much too few happens on the southern half of the globe. I believe it would be possible to change this, provided there is a way to shoot on location for a realistic budget. We'll see how things develop in the future.

The best way for them to go somewhere exotic and stay on budget is to choose a country with lots of interesting locations to exploit, and use it as the basis for the bulk of the film, instead of packing up every 10 minutes and squeezing in another country, and another. Find a great location and use it for all its worth the way Jamaica and Istanbul were used. Brief sequences in other countries can be used for the pre-titles, but ideally I'd like no more than 2 or 3 countries used in one film.

#15 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

Overall that would probably give back the production a sense of being grounded in one particular habitat, something only SKYFALL established recently. It's fine when that works - but it's often the open flank to criticism when it doesn't. I loved SKYFALL's Scotland and London scenes but I feel we've seen enough of London and the UK for a time now.

It would also be nice if one had the sense of learning something new again about a place, together with Bond. That element has been largely dropped for the last 20-odd years. Again Africa comes to mind, a continent with many diverse nations and landscapes, yet it solely appears in our perception as war-torn and infested with mercenaries and fanatics.

#16 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

Australia, so I can follow production!

:)

#17 MajorBoothroyd

MajorBoothroyd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

+1 for Australia, either Sydney or Melbourne. It's probably going to be Sydney, though... it's always Sydney.

#18 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Australia would definitely be a top choice.  And it would offer so many different locations that Bond could have his whole mission there.

After the dark and/or cold locations of the last three films I would love Craig to be somewhere sunny, hit the beaches and return to the glamour of the CR´s first half.

#19 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

He visited quite a few countries on the last few Craig movies and nowhere do you get the sense that 007 is really there I do miss the coleur locale in the Bond movies. It seems that Cruise & Damon seem to better install that these days in their spy movies. So wherever they go I do like them to take some time otherwise it feels like 007 in the studio and a small camera team for some local shots like with the Mendes movies.

#20 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:08 AM

Interestingly, on the suggestion of Professor Pi, I've checked out this Wolverine vehicle from a few years ago, largely set in Japan. And here indeed was a definite sense of being there, strange and intriguing customs, characters difficult to read, a scenery not yet shown to death. I'd very much welcome if BOND 25 would adopt a similar confidence in sticking with a country or region for an entire film.

#21 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

I agree but I think the casual Bond fans and the media like the globe-trotting.

_________________________________________________________________________________

#22 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

Yes, but surely they can tone it down a bit. I think three locations is ideal: one for the pre-title sequence, and two for the main story (not counting London, of course).

#23 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

I'll be happy with anything not in the UK, Mediterranean, or Caribbean. Those are the done-to-death places. 

I'd really like a southern hemisphere film, with bits in Australia, South Africa, and Argentina. All those places have connections to British imperial history, so they'd fit naturally into a Bond plot. And apart from the little bit of South Africa in DAF, they've never been featured in a Bond film. 

#24 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:01 AM

He visited quite a few countries on the last few Craig movies and nowhere do you get the sense that 007 is really there I do miss the coleur locale in the Bond movies. It seems that Cruise & Damon seem to better install that these days in their spy movies. So wherever they go I do like them to take some time otherwise it feels like 007 in the studio and a small camera team for some local shots like with the Mendes movies.

I totally felt that about Shanghai in Skyfall.  Where were the people and the extras? 

It seems that Cruise & Damon seem to better install that these days in their spy movies.

The two locales I would have suggested are Dubai and the modern Las Vegas (totally different now than in DAF.)  But Ghost Protocol and Jason Bourne have now adequately covered this.

Interestingly, on the suggestion of Professor Pi, I've checked out this Wolverine vehicle from a few years ago, largely set in Japan. And here indeed was a definite sense of being there, strange and intriguing customs, characters difficult to read, a scenery not yet shown to death. I'd very much welcome if BOND 25 would adopt a similar confidence in sticking with a country or region for an entire film.

Hey that's awesome, Dustin!  I've dropped that YOLT reference in a few threads here so it was nice to see it pop up here. Glad you enjoyed the viewing experience.