29 replies to this topic

#1 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:24 PM

I read the book last Summer and actually thought it could be my favourite novel of his. So far, the tv adaptation with James Franco and Sarah Gadon has done the book justice and stayed quite close to the plot. 

Anyone read or starting watching Stephen King's new mini-series on Hulu, 11.22.63?

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

I haven't watched the show, but the novel was fantastic.  One of the best books I've read.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

I read the book last year (or was that the year before?), a most fascinating read. From time to time the idea of a Bond continuation by King is floated; while this is a typical fanboy idea - and as such probably out of the question - I think this book is closest to how a spy-themed novel by King would turn out.

Like many time travel stories it ponders the paradoxical nature of the idea. And like many it also offers an alternate reality that seems even worse than what we got. Although I must confess recently I suspect our history may just have taken a similarly disastrous turn...

Great book overall, I'll be interested to see its adaptation for TV.

#4 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:03 PM

Seriously, if you liked the book as much as I did - which it sounds like you both did, the mini-series is worth a watch for sure. 

Here's the trailer, let me know if you like it and I can send you a link to watch each episode on my google drive: 

Great book overall, I'll be interested to see its adaptation for TV.

Cinematography is beautiful, soundtrack is superb and I think the casting is pretty good. Sadie and Marina are gorgeous!

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

Good to hear.  I loved the book, consider it as King´s best since "Misery".   I did not expect Franco to be cast in the lead - but I´m looking forward to this a lot!

#6 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

Let me know your thoughts! I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - I've got 'Mr. Mercedes' and 'Finders Keepers' being delivered today so hopefully I will enjoy these too. Don't think they will be able to top 11.22.63 though, we shall see.  

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

Looks fine to me, with some twists added for good measure. Thank you for your offer, Surrie; I'd certainly take you up on it - if I wasn't so short of time currently. I'll probably only get around to see this when Hollywood does the big-screen Spielberg adaptation...

Very important for the project: it is at the core of it not a fantasy/mystery, not a time travel thriller, not a period drama with action and suspense. It is the story of a tragic love affair, a love that cannot be and will not be. That's where the emotional punch of the book is centred. And hopefully the route the TV series will dare to go, too. From what I saw in the trailer this already looks promising.

On Mr Mercedes: a very satisfying thriller without - for the most part - supernatural elements. Unusual tight for King but in no regard lacking any of his trademark qualities. You get a view inside the head of the two antagonists. And, typically for King, without taking the bad guy's side you get to understand his actions and frustrations. Prepare for a couple of nasty twists too...

Had no chance yet to read Finders Keepers. But from experience I have no reason to expect less than a fine read again.

#8 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

I have two episodes left, and they are building up the Sadie/Jake story very well. We know what to expect but I'm interested to see how they execute it for TV. The offers always there anyway!

I'll come back to you once I've finished Mr Mercedes.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

You do that!

#10 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:58 AM

I still haven't read the book. I love Stephen King. I refuse to watch any adaptations of his novels. I watched the Green Mile but that is it.

I would never want to spoil my love of his novels The Shawshank Redemption, It, The Running Man, Stand by Me (The Body), Misery, The Stand, Under the Dome etc.

#11 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:23 AM

You must have no love for Ian Fleming´s novels then  ;)

#12 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

You must have no love for Ian Fleming´s novels then  ;)

Never read one. Just some of the continuation ones.

#13 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:47 AM

Without having detailed data on this I suppose this places you in the greater part of fandom today, Dave. But you miss something there. Same with some of the King adaptations; while only few capture the essence of the stories they sometimes manage to get their own particular spirit out of it.

#14 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

So, I watched the final episode last night, the one I was looking forward to the most. I was intrigued to see how they finish the 'Sadie & Jake' story (Dustin will know what I'm referring to). My reaction to the ending when I read the novel was as you would expect, sadness. But, when watching I cried! IMO, the end of 11.22.63 TV adaptation was handled perfectly and actually does the novel a lot of justice.

I really loved the book, and I love it even more now. I'm always a little cautious when watching adaptations but King's story transfers well to TV and I'm very glad I watched it. I would recommend reading the novel first as you are privy to much more detail, but for anyone who want's to watch the mini-series let me know and I can hook you up. 

P.S Dustin I am currently half-way through 'Mr. Mercedes', and enjoying thus far. 

#15 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

I thought you would like it, Surrie.
Halfway, that would be around page 200; fasten your seatbelt then...

#16 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

Close, P.182. It's hotting up!

#17 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

I'll have to check out the book and the tv series one day. History, even in an alternate universe interests me.

#18 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Close, P.182. It's hotting up!

Completed the book last week whilst in Scotland - very pleasing and keen to start 'Finders Keepers'!

I'll have to check out the book and the tv series one day. History, even in an alternate universe interests me.

Do check it out - excellent work from King!

#19 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Fine, I knew it would appeal to you!

#20 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:08 AM

If I may chime in - having read MR. MERCEDES and FINDERS KEEPERS - I am very interested in END OF WATCH (being released in June) and how King will tie up the overarching story.

Without giving away what FINDERS KEEPERS establishes, the final book in this trilogy will probably be heartbreaking.  And much more in tune with classic King tales.

Looking forward to the 11.22.63-series immensely, by the way.   As I am to the DARK TOWER film.  And, hopefully, a brand new stand-alone novel.

#21 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

I'm currently re-visiting John Garnder's screen-adaptation of 'GoldenEye' but will then move onto 'Finders Keepers'... I already have my eyes on 'End of Watch' when it is released this Summer. 

I think you would enjoy 11.22.63. Actually, I really hope you do! The Dark Tower books is a part of Kings work I haven't explored... yet. I did read 'Doctor Sleep' 2 years ago and apparently it's rumored for film release in 2018. 

#22 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

I was looking forward very much to "Doctor Sleep" - but it was very different from how I imagined a sequel to "The Shining" would be.

My expectations therefore influenced my initial opinion on the book - but do check it out!

#23 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

I'm still very much in two minds about the Dark Tower adaptation. While I'm only in as far as the middle of Song of Susannah I think it's fair to say it's a pretty complex tale with so many shifts in tone that it's all but impossible to get it into one coherent film or series of films. Not just will there have to be changes - there nearly always have to be - it will also be a most difficult task to find the proper entrance into the story as a whole. The fantasy-Western setting of The Gunslinger? The different-worlds setting of The Drawing of the Three? The post-apocalyptic setting of The Waste Lands? And whichever starting point you choose, you nearly always end up with important pieces in one of the previous books you just need for the later ones. Mind you, I don't say it cannot be done, I'm just not convinced the result will meet the demands of a good film and that of the tale itself.

#24 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:03 AM

You´re absolutely right.  THE DARK TOWER is too complex for a big budget movie or even a series of movies to actually result in a faithful adaptation.  Only a long-running tv show could have tried that.

As I understand the film centers on Jake and starts right in the middle, jumping back a bit - but focussing on the ka-tet.  It will use elements of many of the novels.

I guess one should expect a version of THE DARK TOWER, not really the definitive one.  Still, with Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black... I´m intrigued.

#25 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

It's probably a smart move to centre on one person and Jake offers the obvious Hollywood-friendly choice. But if they go beyond Drawing-of-the-Three territory it's inevitable they will have to shift the focus. Not sure how that will play out - and here I already assume the long-but-essential flashback of Wizard and Glas will be cut down significantly and Wind through the Keyhole left out altogether.

In a way some of the books are King-style remakes of classic books and films and any adaptation would have to mirror that, which is also somewhat tricky with Wizard of Oz, Magnificent Seven or Westworld. Getting this right and still keeping one's own style and originality is difficult enough as is.

The problem is to tell the story in pictures so people not familiar with the books still get it - and yet not piss off the fans who waited years for this. And however you look at it, chances are the hardcore fans will feel about it as if LOTR had been done in a modern corporate setting, with Frodo setting out to destroy the ring on the premises of MORDOR Inc.

#26 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

Well, it is kind of RINGS-y - as King himself admitted.  But mixed with Spaghetti-Westerns and 70´s pop culture.

In any event, the hardcore fans will probably hate this movie.  And I am sceptical about whether a mass audience will be interested.

I understand that the producers treat this film as a one-off, for now, unless it is a success, of course.  The January release date might not be a kiss of death anymore - but it does not exactly say: SUMMER/CHRISTMAS TENTPOLE!

#27 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

The trailer for the film adaptation of Stephen King's Cell was released today.  Figured this was as good a place as any to post it:

#28 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

I´m looking forward to this one, especially because of John Cusack.  I loved the novel, and I wonder whether it is due to "The Walking Dead"´s mainstream success that this film was pushed back again and again since it seems to be, well, a lot like it.

#29 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Very exciting! 

#30 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Well, it is kind of RINGS-y - as King himself admitted. But mixed with Spaghetti-Westerns and 70´s pop culture.

In any event, the hardcore fans will probably hate this movie. And I am sceptical about whether a mass audience will be interested.

I understand that the producers treat this film as a one-off, for now, unless it is a success, of course. The January release date might not be a kiss of death anymore - but it does not exactly say: SUMMER/CHRISTMAS TENTPOLE!

Entertainment Weekly did a few pieces about THE DARK TOWER, one of them here: http://www.ew.com/ar...-eddie-susannah

It was already mentioned that Eddie and Susannah won't appear in this first film, I believe. For me interesting is that it's actually a sort of 'sequel' due to the presence of an important item. I only just finished this mammoth work and nearly - very nearly - would have heeded King's advice to stop reading the final 15 pages or so. If I had I wouldn't have understood this at all.

One interesting observation: I know Roland now for nearly 30 years. And probably like most others I imagined a vaguely Eastwood-ish character of Magnificent Seven cloth, a tall white gunslinger guy. Now having heard that Elba landed the part for the last 900 pages or so I repeatedly saw him before my mind's eye when reading this final run to the door of that tower. Indeed, he seems to me perfect for Roland, incorporating all his traits as if they naturally belonged to him. A very good decision.