4 replies to this topic

#1 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:09 AM

The Digital Bits celebrates the 50th anniversary of "Thunderball" with contributions from John Cork, Lee Pfeiffer, Steven Jay Rubin and other Bond film fan authors:

http://thedigitalbit...hunderball-50th

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Superb,

On page 3, Cork's write up on the legacy of Thunderball highlights any number of bitter feelings created between production staff and artists, during and just after the film's production.  Many of which I hadn't heard before.

When people bleat about the 'problems' experienced in the production of today's films, I thank the Lord that the internet was not available in the '60s.

#3 New Digs

New Digs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

When people bleat about the 'problems' experienced in the production of today's films, I thank the Lord that the internet was not available in the '60s.

Yes, the media would have had a field day with all that was going on behind the scenes. It probably would have jeopardised the films' box office if all that got out today. Still, Broccoli must have kept morale up as most of the behind the scenes footage show the actors enjoying themselves and none of the production problems come across on screen. 

I knew Terence Young 'left' the film after shooting but had no idea of the real reason behind it. 

#4 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

A very enjoyable read. I realize these anniversary features are meant to be symposiums,  but they would work just as well with only Cork, who has the most to say by far (whereas in this round Rubin and Caplen contribute very little).

I do however agree with Rye that "Ken Adam’s Spectre boardroom (far more visually impressive, eerie and effective than its equivalent in 2015’s Spectre--just I heatedly disagree that Fiona Volpe "remains the strongest written female character in the entire Bond series"--that honor goes to Tracy.
Similarly, I agree with Scivally that Adolfo Celi’s Emilio Largo was not a particularly memorable villain and I agree with Chapman about Auger's Domino being bland.

I too was unaware of the real reason for Young leaving the film, and though I knew Hunt had saved the film, I didn't realize how much work he had to do. Now I see why Broccoli and Saltzman gave him OHMSS--they really did owe him.

#5 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

Interesting. Thanks to the OP.

TB has always been Top 5 for me. Good to see the pacing and underwater sequences broadly defended; I've never really understood the criticism of either. Also good to see Largo acknowledged by most as one of the best villains - especially his believability, and how his charm and urbanity mirror that of Bond. 

Some oddball opinions, too. For Scivally to describe Claudine Auger's performance as "vapid" when Domino is clearly supposed to be waif-like seems to miss the point of her character entirely. And the statement by Chapman that he prefers Kim Basinger as Domino in NSNA is frankly too unorthodox for the Unorthodox Bond Opinions thread here on CBn! I'd also take issue with Rye that the TB boardroom scene eclipses that in 2015's SPECTRE. Both are equally effective for very different reasons and equally enjoyable.

The thing I take away most from this article is that it reinforces the fact that TB is the pivotal film in the franchise's history. And maybe the most ambitious in scope - both on screen and off.

Edited by Baccarat, 07 January 2016 - 12:12 AM.