This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'Never Say Never Again' first draft poster..

6 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Cracked article shows this, which is completely new to me. Seems a bit more 'classic Bond' compared to what we got. The final poster for Never Say Never Again leaves a lot to be desired for me, this sorta hits the spot...

358488_v2.jpg

#2 JLaidlaw

JLaidlaw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

That article writer doesn't seem to understand the idea of concept art.

I have to say, that poster is better than the final chosen one. However, casting an eye around the internet, every single earlier 'Never Say Never Again' poster is far better than what we received. The guy who designed the above, Vallejo, also has a version focusing on Fatima and her snake. I think this is the best available. A more in perspective full colour version of this poster would have followed naturally on from what the Eon series was doing with For Your Eyes Only, only slightly more risque - which was the tone the film's publicity was trying to strike (even if the film itself was just as silly as Eon's).

This wallpaper is credited to Vallejo but seems more similar to what Obrero ended up with. But it still suggests a film full of action and adventure. Even Obrero's original version of the final poster is preferable to the weird empty blue field with emphasises how cheesily Connery is drawn. The worst element is the fetishised guns which are lazily slapped into the middle of the poster with no context. Combined with the weirdly chubby version of Connery, the poster doesn't suggest Bond is a skilled and ruthless spy, but does suggest he's been frying a lot of bacon at Ted Cruz's place.

The landscape posters with the action sequences are much nicer, of course. The Japanese poster is a nice teaser which gets the idea of Connery's return across best, but Bond's ID being carried around in a lady's bikini bottoms makes very little sense.

Edited by JLaidlaw, 19 December 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:41 AM

The landscape posters with the action sequences are much nicer, of course. The Japanese poster is a nice teaser which gets the idea of Connery's return across best, but Bond's ID being carried around in a lady's bikini bottoms makes very little sense.

You mean, Bond doesn't normally insert himself into a girl's bikini?!

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Very nice poster idea!

Would also have been better than the movie.

#5 K.O.P.

K.O.P.

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

This wallpaper is credited to Vallejo but seems more similar to what Obrero ended up with. But it still suggests a film full of action and adventure...

That poster is by Adrian Purkis -- see: http://illustrated00...ish-poster.html

#6 JLaidlaw

JLaidlaw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:21 AM

Thank you for correcting- as I said, there was an pinterest credit which didn't sit right. So it's the official Swedish poster? Well, it's certainly the best poster that was actually used at some point.

#7 K.O.P.

K.O.P.

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

I also prefer Michel Landi's French and Renato Casaro's German poster to the U.S. one.