33 replies to this topic

#31 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

Even the "worst" Bond film on my Top 25 ("Never say never again") has scenes that I tremendously enjoy - so I always would have to add that every Bond film still towers over so many other films I like.

Is it the same for you?  Or would you rate the Bond films in general lower than other films you love?

I'd be interested to know how much time he spends on forums where he really does love the movies!

B)

Let´s respect each other´s opinions, please.

#32 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

But, there surely is a saving grace to the film?  Is it the locations?  You'd think that, but Sam Mendes appears to have accidentally dropped the film into a vat of mustard while piecing it together.  So, no, it's not that.  Yes, there is one saving grace to the film: Lea Seydoux.  Despite being given one of the flimsiest characters in the franchise's last thirty years to work with, she manages to not only make the character interesting, going far beyond what the savant writing team managed to put down on paper and making Dr. Madeleine Swann the only interesting character in Spectre.  The love story between her and Bond is, on paper, laughably rushed, but she manages to sell it because she's a gifted actress and, more importantly, actually seems to be trying.

I'm glad that despite everything that's wrong with the film that Seydoux still stands out to you. She is a marvelous actress and rightly-so the saving grace of Spectre. Had she not been cast as Dr. Swann then it really would be a snore-fest! She is enchanting and makes the last 1/3 of the film worth watching. I find it a shame though that her talent was actually really wasted in Spectre and would like to see her return... although I feel that ship has now sailed. 

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Even the "worst" Bond film on my Top 25 ("Never say never again") has scenes that I tremendously enjoy - so I always would have to add that every Bond film still towers over so many other films I like.

Is it the same for you?  Or would you rate the Bond films in general lower than other films you love?

As a film series, Bond is my favorite.  But, that doesn't carry with it that I would rate every single film in the franchise, even the worst, as better than most everything else.  The great Bond films are great, movies that I can go back to over and over again and never grow bored of them.  I can't even begin to count the number of times I've watched Licence to Kill.  

At the same time, there are those Bond films that I don't rate at all, whether within the franchise or just as films in general.  Spectre is such a film.  Having had time to ponder it, I can look back and say why it was that I rated it so well after a theatrical viewing.  September through December of last year were pretty rough months for me, and having the chance to go out and see Spectre was one of the few times were I was able to just get out and enjoy myself for a bit.  I guarantee that had something to do with enjoying it, as I was just enjoying being out and not having some of the nonsense to deal with, plus it was a Bond film.  

Now, having a chance to watch the film and judge it for what it is, it's a bad film.

Why would he start now.

#34 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:53 PM

As a film series, Bond is my favorite.  But, that doesn't carry with it that I would rate every single film in the franchise, even the worst, as better than most everything else.  The great Bond films are great, movies that I can go back to over and over again and never grow bored of them.  I can't even begin to count the number of times I've watched Licence to Kill.  

At the same time, there are those Bond films that I don't rate at all, whether within the franchise or just as films in general.  Spectre is such a film.  Having had time to ponder it, I can look back and say why it was that I rated it so well after a theatrical viewing.  September through December of last year were pretty rough months for me, and having the chance to go out and see Spectre was one of the few times were I was able to just get out and enjoy myself for a bit.  I guarantee that had something to do with enjoying it, as I was just enjoying being out and not having some of the nonsense to deal with, plus it was a Bond film.  

Now, having a chance to watch the film and judge it for what it is, it's a bad film.

Why would he start now.

I apologise.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________