#1 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

http://www.theguardi...americanisation

Found this article quite an interesting read. Focuses on the Americanisation of language in modern day Cinema, worth a read if anyone is interested.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

Very interesting; thanks for sharing this, Surrie. Wonder they didn't bring up LICENCE TO KILL - LICENSE TO KILL and its LICENCE REVOKED original title there.

#3 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

Good point - that had slipped my mind. I like the fact that EON aren't detached from their major audiences and the history of Bond. I think the titles reflect this. 

Edited by Surrie, 07 December 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#4 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

I agree, an interesting read. Having taught English overseas for several years now, I can say for certain that British English is the dominant form taught. Though places where there is a bigger US influence like in Mexico or the Far East, see more American English. That said, as Bond is VERY British, it doesn't make sense for the films to use American English. Spectre, Licence to Kill make more sense as they are the British spellings for British films. The change of Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone never felt right to me, as the story is set in Britain and philosopher has a direct story correlation, whereas sorcerer does not. As for other words, in the case of Fifty Shades of Grey, I've never been 100% sure which is the correct spelling: Grey or Gray. In the US, you see both. I like learning the differences between the two versions of English. It's interesting and has led to fun arguments with my friends. Point is, the version of language used should reflect the country the film is set in and the characters speaking it. So, Bond should speak British English, but Felix should be using Americanisms. The scene at The Whyte House in Las Vegas in Diamonds Are Forever got it done perfectly. Blofeld and Bond, both Europeans, speak British English. But Blofeld makes a quip about the American version, since they are in the US.
"We'll go on, it's merely a lift. Or should I say elevator?"