ENDING the Craig Era (Spoilers)

47 replies to this topic

#31 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

My feeling is Bellucci wil be Blofeld for the next film.

The current Blofeld is just a decoy. Witness how in Rome the SPECTRE guards knows Bond is coming. Only Bellucci would have tipped them.

She would be amazing as the bad guy for the next 4 four films.

Or alternatively - SPECTRE has just lost a senior member, Lucia's husband. The board would be one down. Assuming everyone bar Marco Sciarra turned up (they wouldn't dare otherwise, I think!) the guards would be puzzled to see an unexpected "member" turn up - complete with entrance pass, Sciarra's ring. Notice how after Bond has got past the bald goon, the one of the other two reaches for his mobile? To ask if this man is expected?

(Admittedly, only to be told "No, but let him in anyway. Our leader has a pretty good idea who he is!" ;-) )

#32 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

Ciao Mickey Mouse!

#33 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

The problem is, Bourne is built almost entirely on the amnesia, even three films with the original 'Bourne' character didn't really solve the mystery about why he became what he had been prior to his injury.

With Bond it's the other way around, we know pretty well who he is. And Fleming let him regain his memory mostly off stage, the idea didn't play a huge role in TMWTGG aside from setting him on the trace of Scaramanga. It would not be a really effective plot device unless you really left Bond alone on a deserted shore with a life as a fisherman as his only future.

The next incarnation of James Bond would then probably be another reboot with yet another direction.

Bond regaining his memories after amnesia would be a pretty good title sequence idea for BOND26 after the PTS.

#34 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

Having seen the - unintentionally funny at times - titles of SPECTRE I'm not sure I want the titles to employ themes going beyond the most basic ones. The titles can involve a lot but regaining one's memory may be beyond them.

#35 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

personally after the first 3 Craig films, which were all heavy in their own way i would have gone with less personal involvement for his final two. i hope they do in the next one. i'm guessing after the end of Spectre there's going to be some kind of revenge story.

#36 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

Please no not another revenge story!!

#37 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Not another revenge story, and not another 'This time, it's personal'. either.

#38 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

This is a useless thread lol. You all know what's coming. It will be a personal revenge. Count on it.

#39 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

We can live in hope! ;)

#40 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:46 AM

This is a useless thread lol. You all know what's coming. It will be a personal revenge. Count on it.

….. This is one of the reasons why I prefer that the Craig era would end with SPECTRE…. Don’t get me wrong, first of all, Daniel Craig is one of my favorite Bond actors, CR is in imo the best Bond movie among the whole EON's series, and I really enjoyed SP; but I think there’s nowhere to go from there, no place new at least, within his era.

In fact, I didn’t think that way before, however after I saw SP, realizing that (for the first time since the reboot) the complete Bond formula was presented- adapted for the Craig era, also seeing its aim to tie all the previous three movies and having that happy ending, thus it was then when I changed my mind.

There’re only two alternatives for a potential fifth Craig entry:

-Going back to basics, hence doing a repetition of what he already done (unlike what happened with FYEO, because by then in the Moore era, there wasn’t such a down to earth film yet).

-Or going even more over the top with the next movie, which I think would be an excess with the risk to become a travesty.

And I certainly don’t like these options, besides Craig would be nearing 50 years old in a possible “Bond 25” with him- and we all know that beyond of being a very physical Bond for the action, he doesn’t have a pretty youngish face. So in order to preserve the great legacy of his era, I believe they should cast another actor for OO7, whom could perfectly go on in this same continuity started with CR.

#41 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

However much I love DC's Bond and would love to see him play Bond one more time, my initial thoughts when SPECTRE ended was that his era had ended too. If I'm completely honest it wouldn't be a bad way to end it either - focussing more on the Bond formula we know and love brings it round full circle. 

#42 Thevan7F

Thevan7F

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

How would you play out Craig's Era?

Since the films seem to take about 3 years, I think I'd just end it on five films. 

That could give them til 2022 (60th anniversary) for the first Bond 7.

I hope it end in five Bond movies after SPECTRE Bond 25  is his one 007 film then he can retire.

#43 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Totally, agree with you, Surrie... Actually, it could be the first time that a Bond actor has a proper swan song.

#44 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

Totally, agree with you, Surrie... Actually, it could be the first time that a Bond actor has a proper swan song.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

#45 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

They've set everything up for a Garden of Death story.  For all its faults, SPECTRE delivered exactly what most of us expected, story-wise.  They re-introduced a class villain, gave Craig a happy ending, and left enough loose ends to pick up in BOND 25.  EON had to do this story before doing a Shatterhand one.  We might want to see Craig off with a happy ending, but that's not true to Craig's Bond.

After Golden Compass, Girl with Dragon Tattoo, Cowboys and Aliens, DC will realize Bond is his one successful franchise and honor his contract with one more 007 outing (maybe even two.)

There are lots of ways to handle the Madeleine storyline, but ESB escaping would be enough motivation to bring Bond back to the service (think OHMSS beginning, DAF when Connery hears Franks escaped.)  It doesn't have to be a revenge story, and hopefully it will be more than "something came up," but Shatterhand happens (sorry!)

#46 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

*Sighhhh* you are probably right!

#47 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Saw your link: Tricks were my favorite cereal but I can never find them anywhre.

#48 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Saw your link: Tricks were my favorite cereal but I can never find them anywhre.

Ironically I've never tried them - not so popular in the UK... but I'm a big fan of Tarantino if you catch my drift.