This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Where do you want the movie series to go after SPECTRE?

388 replies to this topic

#181 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:11 AM

Interesting that some people think that Hinx is alive. He's surely dead?

#182 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

Don't call me Shirely. 

Hinx is a monster so it can be more believable he survived.

The worst part was what we saw probably, the chain pulling on his neck. If he had a good grip and it wasn't to tight...

Now you got me over analyzing it. Someone call Myth Busters.

#183 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

It's almost as if Babs and Mike are stuck with trying to remain loyal to Cubby's old 'Bond Format', but not quite sure how to work it and keep it current?

IMHO it is ultimately the company's history that buffets both itself and whoever its partner is, whether that be Sony or whoever. Perfectly natural and understandable for any business or individual - to always go back to what you know. To be fair on EON, what's been established over the past half-century is both an incredibly solid foundation to work from, and yet also something that must feel at times quite restraining.

Look at the at times contradictory mix of reactions of just those in the fanbase to every installment, especially over the last decade. For some the casting of DC was nigh-on blasphemy, while for others it was the best thing decision in at least 20 years. Some want "classic Bond," some want to see the "fun back." Some like it when the franchise takes chances, others decry that those chances are "not Bond."

I don't always think EON have got it right, but even when they haven't to my mind, I try not to ignore or underestimate how hard it must be sometimes to chart a course. I will say, I do think that your point definitely speaks to 94-95 EON; I do think that post 2002 was the first time when current management felt that they were really doing their "own" thing, rather than continue in a caretaker capacity.

With regards to post 2002 I see your point. However, I feel now they are struggling slightly to remain loyal to Cubby's formula and to steer the franchise in their own direction also. Which must be extremely hard!

#184 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hollywood rule: You don't kill a major character off-screen. If we didn't see him die, then he's not dead.

#185 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hollywood rule: You don't kill a major character off-screen. If we didn't see him die, then he's not dead.

I would have to second this. Hinx will be back. 

#186 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

I think some of this is wishful thinking. I don't think he was a major character and I don't think he was one of the series' most memorable henchmen. I think they can do better in Bond 25.

#187 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:43 AM

When they brought Jaws back, you knew it.  He was shown surviving everything.  He killed a shark and swam away at the end of TSWLM.  So you knew he'd be back.  Then he fell onto a circus tent in Moonraker.  He wasn't gonna die after that.

Hinx, on the other hand, isn't that great.  He's an above average henchman.  Below Odd Job, Jaws and Red Grant.  Above Hans and Vargas.  About on par with Necros.  Not as interesting as Stamper, Nick Nack, or Tee Hee.  All of those henchmen clearly died (except Nick Nack.)

If Hinx were going to return, it should have been at the end of SPECTRE to kidnap Madeleine.  I'd rather see the lesbian henchwoman idea they had than Hinx again. 

#188 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

I think some of this is wishful thinking. I don't think he was a major character and I don't think he was one of the series' most memorable henchmen. I think they can do better in Bond 25.

I may have misremembered it, but i'm sure i recall Babs and Mick comparing him to Jaws - that's pretty memorable. Besides, his return is the obvious way to break Blofeld out of the slammer in spectacular fashion.

#189 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:32 AM

Unless MI6 need to trade Blofeld with a captured bearded Bond in North Korea........... ;)

#190 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

Unless MI6 need to trade Blofeld with a captured bearded Bond in North Korea........... ;)

SILENCE Mortal! One does not talk about the abomination that is Bond 20. :P

#191 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

I may have misremembered it, but i'm sure i recall Babs and Mick comparing him to Jaws - that's pretty memorable. Besides, his return is the obvious way to break Blofeld out of the slammer in spectacular fashion.

I think Hinx was acting on his own by the time he was on the train.  Besides, the better way to break Blofeld out is by introducing a certain Fraulein Bunt.

#192 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

I think Hinx was acting on his own by the time he was on the train.  Besides, the better way to break Blofeld out is by introducing a certain Fraulein Bunt.

Great idea Professor. I thoroughly like that scenario.

I'd cast someone like Kathy Bates in the role.

#193 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:54 AM

The following should be treated with a certain scepticism, given the source - The Daily Mirror, repeating a report in The Daily Star - but it is now claimed that Christoph Waltz is willing to sign up to not one but two more Bond films as ESB, provided Daniel Craig also signs up as Bond.

Two would surprise me. One wouldn't - Craig is already supposedly signed to do one more and given the ending of SPECTRE Waltz's return as ESB would make sense.

#194 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

It's certainly one of those speculations that are not overly difficult to make and near-impossible to prove. Timing would indicate fresh window-dressing for a new distribution deal; stuff like this would certainly help to make the goose swallow...

#195 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

Two more Waltz and Craig battles would be stretching it, I would think. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

#196 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

It's certainly one of those speculations that are not overly difficult to make and near-impossible to prove. Timing would indicate fresh window-dressing for a new distribution deal; stuff like this would certainly help to make the goose swallow...

Yes, that's what it all reads like to me as well. I hope Waltz returns in Bond 25 along with Craig, but I'll be surprised if it is two. Then again, you never know - Ralph Fiennes villain stuck with the Harry Potter series. But I just can't see it - I think at most we may get Waltz's Blofeld battling Craig's Bond in the latter's (presumably) final outing as 007, and then when Craig bows out as Bond so if Blofeld still exists a new actor will also be cast in that role in a future movie.

#197 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

The thing is, it's nonsense for Waltz to tie his possible comeback as Blofeld for two films to the comeback of Craig for both. You can never know how these things run, all you can ever do is commit yourself to one go at a time. Everything else is out of one's control. But no doubt it reads much better if it looks as if contracts are already tied.

#198 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

On the one hand I would love Craig to do two more Bond films, battling Blofeld in both films, giving their all too brief connection in SPECTRE so much more room to grow and be interesting.

On the other hand I am also ready to encounter a new Bond phase, with a new actor and team.

But since the Radiohead rumour being true after all, I almost believe this new rumour, too.  ;)

#199 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

If it's true, it would mean EON is finally serious about a Blofeld trilogy.  But, it would postpone the Garden of Death story to Bond 26 ... what would B25 be about?  SPECTRE already is a loose reboot of OHMSS/TB.  However, I've always maintained Craig would do two more--one for his contract and one cash grab offer he couldn't refuse.

"You're a difficult man to kill, Blofeld."

"I know.  I signed a three picture deal."

#200 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

I find this all highly likely - as i've said, they'd have been crazy to end SPECTRE the way they did if they didn't already have Craig signed up for 25 and Waltz makes just as much sense. 

#201 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:17 AM

I find this all highly likely - as i've said, they'd have been crazy to end SPECTRE the way they did if they didn't already have Craig signed up for 25 and Waltz makes just as much sense.

If Craig is finished with Bond after SPECTRE then all bets about Bond 25 are off. My guess is he walks off - drives off with Madeleine - and then a new actor returns as Bond and it is as if the Craig era never happened. And I don't mean as in Eon is ashamed of it - far from it! But Craig will have established Bond as Bond, and his successor is free to go onto new adventures which may or may not include SPECTRE and Blofeld.

But if Craig returns for Bond 25, the Bond/Blofeld conflct continues, quite possibly with Waltz as ESB again. Our villain is at large having escaped British custody..... Bond is forced to return to service..... Madeleine Swann is in peril, possibly killed, or leaves Bond because of the situation..... and the Bond/Blofeld grudge match reaches a conclusion. One can see it coming in the next movie, assuming it doesn't overspill into the one after that! ;-)

#202 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:05 AM

If they're going to bring back Watlz for another (and that rumor has to be taken with a massive grain of salt at this point) and try to go the You Only Live Twice route with the next film, they'd better bring on a writer who can do that story justice.  The current level of quality of the scripts, dating back several films now, has not been up to par.  EON needs to identify a writer who can get the job done.  Surely there's someone out there who knows Bond and who can write.  It can't be as hard as they've made it the last few times out.

#203 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

If you're going to round off the Craig era in the next film by continuing with SPECTRE as the villains, it would make most sense, I think, to have Blofeld in the film too, preferably played by Christoph Waltz.

But, it could still be done without him - the facial scarring leaves open the "plastic surgery" excuse as to why ESB in Bond 25 is played by someone else, and since Ian Fleming also radically altered Blofeld's appearance from TB to OHMSS to YOLT it could be argued that re-casting the character would only be following what the original author himself did.

The only other way I can think of to involve SPECTRE in Bond 25 is to have a movie in which the organisation is involved but not ESB. He is, after all, in custody now. But a story could be devised in which another villain - a Largo or Irma Bunt type? - temporarily assumes control of SPECTRE and plots the release of ESB, perhaps by the threat of some major act of terror if he isn't freed. Or, make it personal - I know the "personal" angle has been almost done to death during the Craig era, but perhaps a hostage situation with Madeleine or someone else close to Bond as a hostage or one of them, and Blofeld's release and full pardon being the price of release. It is one way there could be a Bond/Blofeld movie without Blofeld, albeit not a very satisfactory one.

However, as tdalton says above an ideal ending for many would be the original YOLT story woven into a new Bond film, but it most likely would need a new writing team or sole screenwriter to pull it off.

#204 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

If you're going to round off the Craig era in the next film by continuing with SPECTRE as the villains, it would make most sense, I think, to have Blofeld in the film too, preferably played by Christoph Waltz.

But, it could still be done without him - the facial scarring leaves open the "plastic surgery" excuse as to why ESB in Bond 25 is played by someone else, and since Ian Fleming also radically altered Blofeld's appearance from TB to OHMSS to YOLT it could be argued that re-casting the character would only be following what the original author himself did.

The only other way I can think of to involve SPECTRE in Bond 25 is to have a movie in which the organisation is involved but not ESB. He is, after all, in custody now. But a story could be devised in which another villain - a Largo or Irma Bunt type? - temporarily assumes control of SPECTRE and plots the release of ESB, perhaps by the threat of some major act of terror if he isn't freed. Or, make it personal - I know the "personal" angle has been almost done to death during the Craig era, but perhaps a hostage situation with Madeleine or someone else close to Bond as a hostage or one of them, and Blofeld's release and full pardon being the price of release. It is one way there could be a Bond/Blofeld movie without Blofeld, albeit not a very satisfactory one.

However, as tdalton says above an ideal ending for many would be the original YOLT story woven into a new Bond film, but it most likely would need a new writing team or sole screenwriter to pull it off.

I think I like your ideas for Bond 25 better than going the You Only Live Twice route right away with the next film.  Honestly, I'm not sure that EON has earned the YOLT storyline for the next film on the back of what they've done so far, much in the same way that SPECTRE never really earns its own ending as its romantic subplot isn't developed nearly well enough.  

I like the idea of Irma Bunt or Largo (or maybe even a new character) assuming control of SPECTRE, going from #2 to #1 to secure the release of Blofeld.  They kind of touched on the idea of SPECTRE being somewhat akin to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, so maybe they could go out of order with Bond 25 being Thunderball leading into You Only Live Twice if they can secure Craig for two more films instead of the one that we all think he's going to do.  

But, like you said, have (for the sake of this discussion) Irma Bunt assume control of SPECTRE and set the organization up to commit a heinous act(s) of terrorism if their demands of money/power/whatever and the release of Blofeld are not met.  They could combine your ideas and have Madeleine also be a target of Bunt's (maybe even including the idea from the original script that Bunt fancies her) with somehow all of that spinning towards a conclusion where Blofeld and Bunt are exiled to a castle in Japan and Bond's life and psyche are dealt a major blow, setting things up for the finale of the Craig era.  

Doing something like that would, at the very least, give EON the chance to actually earn the YOLT storyline, something I don't think they quite did with SPECTRE.

#205 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

In answer to the original question - away, for a bit, to help it recover and work out what it is really trying to achieve any more.

#206 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

Oh dear.

While I loved SPECTRE for all its confident entertainment, I feel I still need an erudite review from Jim to tell me exactly why I shouldn't.

About which Jim, will the 7th series keep up with each ensuing entry in the canon?

#207 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Yes. Sorry about that.

#208 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

Perfect.

Looking forward to it...  (If correctly understood)

#209 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:29 AM

In answer to the original question - away, for a bit, to help it recover and work out what it is really trying to achieve any more.

Quite.

#210 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:32 AM

to forget the movie they just did and come up with something fresh