6 replies to this topic

#1 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

We saw in Skyfall that James Bond is beginning to go prematurely grey in his beard.

In SPECTRE, the keen observer will notice the frosty color is now reaching his sideburns and just above the ears.

Which begs the question: Would James Bond dye his hair to prevent going grey?

Or, better yet, would actor Daniel Craig dye his hair to keep a youthful appearance for 007 for the next film?

These days, society will accept anything.  From cross-dressers (Lola, Dame Edna) to transgenders (Caitlyn Jenner).  And for actors, actresses, and celebrities, we see them having tummy-tucks, nose-jobs, and even none-to-well hidden hairpieces.

Liberalism and vanity are accepted traits in our modern society.

But, could we accept an aging James Bond?  Would EON/Craig opt to hide, or continue to openly show the grey?

Or, was this the possible reason for the 'slashing wrists' comment?

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'd say the current stage of greying is probably as far as it goes. They tempered with his hair before - the photograph going with his obit looked decidedly darkened - and much whiter hair would probably interfere too much with the image they want for Bond. Unless they want to directly address the age.

#3 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

I think the answer to the aging question depends on how much we like and accept the actor in the role.  In both DAF and NSNA, fans were excited, despite his advancing age, for Connery's return as 007.  Moore's tenure as 007 is another example.  He was so beloved in the role that fans were OK with him overstaying his (age appropriate) welcome by one or two films.  

That being said, both Connery and Moore had to change their appearances (Connery's worn a rug since Dr. No) to varying degrees (losing weight, gaining muscle mass, "Bond approved" haircuts, etc.) before going in front of the camera to meet our expectation of what Bond should look like.   It's all part of their stock and trade as actors, and is really no different than an actor who has to gain weight to play a role.  So yes, if EON thought that Craig needed a dye job before the next film so as to keep him viable as James Blonde in the eyes of the audience, they wouldn't hesitate.   To be fair, if he showed up on set for day 1 of filming sporting a full beard and mustache, EON would grab that razor Craig was talking about and put it to a better, less permanent use.

As for Bond himself ever dying his hair - I really cannot see it.   That level of vanity would be completely out of character for Fleming's Bond.  

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:41 PM

Actors get older, but Bond isn't supposed to.

Don't tell me Sir Roger wasn't dying his hair in his last couple of films. Since he's retired from acting he could have gone a distinguished grey - as Carey Grant and Tony Curtis did - but instead, at 88, his hair is still the same shade of brown!

So, a touch of grey at the temples (which was all John Gardner ever gave him), but that will be it.

#5 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Actors get older, but Bond isn't supposed to.

That pretty much nails it.  Being a double-0 is a young man's game.

In it long enough to get that "touch of grey" before being assigned the desk, would seem the likely fate for an aging Bond.

If Craig stays for one more, perhaps a closure to his story arc.

#6 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:05 PM

Bond would never dye his hair. He'd also never bother with the gym, like Craig's Bond clearly did. He generally doesn't go in for self pity and exhibits his vanity in other ways!

#7 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:32 AM

"Do you exercise?"

"When I have to,"