6 replies to this topic

#1 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

Craig is on Charlie Rose again. In this clip, he talks about some of the quotes he has given on whether he will play Bond again.

Edited by Pushkin, 05 November 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#2 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

"If all people are going to be talking about is 'Who's going to be the next James Bond, it's ridiculous. So I'm going to keep my counsel."

Too bad he didn't think of that before.  After his recent comments, it already is the only thing people are talking about (or at least, it figures into every article and review I've read), so the toothpaste is already out of the tube there, Danny.

That said, he looks good here; more comfortable and animated than he ever seems to be in character as 007, and it's nice to see he can smile.  Hoping some of this shows up in Spectre.

#3 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

There's so much simple logic in what he says. Sure, he didn't help with the "Slash your arm" stuff. But to be fair, all media talk about is who is next. We're just as guilty as fans - we constantly have a Bond 7 thread. But the press, especially the home press, and the bookies, are constantly running stuff. The Idris Elba stuff started in 2013, for heaven's sake. I understand his undercurrent of "if all people care about is what's next, then why are we bothering busting our arse for the now."

As much as they say they don't read the papers, he was aware of Craignotbond in '05 and as regular people with regular lives, they read the paper like the rest of us.

I can't imagine what the press junket must be like, answering the same uninspiring questions for hours. I'm not suggesting any of these film stars deserve our sympathy, but I get it. As a contrast, I'm sure being on a long-form show like Rose's, or that New York Times Q & A that mi6-hq have linked, is far more rewarding. And as a fan, of Bond and of films, I enjoy watching those things then any of the junket BS.

Sorry to go off like I've got an issue but.........  :)

Too bad he didn't think of that before.  After his recent comments, it already is the only thing people are talking about (or at least, it figures into every article and review I've read), so the toothpaste is already out of the tube there, Danny.

That is true, agreed. Though there is still a part of me that thinks it was, if not planned, most definitely not the worst thing to say, purely from a PR perspective of "there's no such thing as bad publicity." With Hunger Games and Star Wars sitting round the corner, the pressure is on every big film debuting in the next 6 weeks to grab it's corner and hold it for as long as possible.

Yep, there were other ways for grabbing the mic for sure........

#4 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

Perhaps Craig should have thought of the ramifications of that before he said what he did and about the way in which he went about saying it.  The pass he gets for acting unprofessionally in many corners is rather astounding.  Let's not forget that he's also now a producer on these films, he's no longer just the paid "help" that EON puts through the grinder the make the billion dollars they make on these pictures now.  He is well compensated for what it is that he does and he should perform all aspects of that job to a level that justifies that salary that he seems to enjoy.

#5 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

Very true what you say. I guess I'm more willing to give him a pass (though, yes, life would have been a lot quieter if he had kept his mouth shut), because I'm not convinced that what he said was really as "controversial" as I think it is to us as fans. I think we'd be in a different place entirely if he'd bashed the production in some way, but I suspect that for a brief moment in a one-on-one (rather than roundtable or extended press briefing) he gave an honest, off-the-cuff, throwaway answer.

He is paid a lot of money and yes, he should've known better. I suspect he knows now.

#6 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

I wouldn't call his comments "controversial," but common sense should tell you that the way to promote a film is not to say, "After this one, I am so done."  It's too easy to interpret that as "this wasn't a fun experience" or "This one's a stinker, folks."  Or at the very least, it takes the focus off of the film you have coming out in a few days to put it on the next one, 3 years out.  In this era of 15-minute news cycles and audiences with short attention spans, you have a very small window to make your case and get people in the seats; after opening weekend, most people will go back to talking about "Star Wars."  As soon as there's a hint Craig's done, his movie is old news, even on opening day.

That said, I certainly understand the frustration with being asked the same questions all the time, and there must be a powerful temptation to say, "You want to know how I really feel right now?  Well then, look out, 'cause I'm going to tell you."  But I think every Bond actor should follow Roger Moore's lead on this and just give the press stock answers to stock questions, smiling all the while.  Roger is justly noted for his geniality, but beneath that exterior (and as hinted in his more recent writings), what was really behind that was a bit of tit for tat.  Basically it was a case of, "If you can't be bothered to ask me anything better than the same superficial, empty-headed questions everyone else has asked me for ten years, then you deserve no more than the same superficial, canned answers the rest of them got.  But I'm a salesman, so I'll throw in a smile."

Funny how things have shifted, though.  When Roger was in the role, the constant refrain was, "Where's Connery?  Bring back Connery!  Is it too late to bring back Connery?"  But then Roger and his successors proved the role is bigger than one man. Hooray.  So now the refrain has changed to,  "Congratulations on landing the role.  How many do you think you'll do?  Who would you like to see as Bond after you?"  

The one constant throughout the decades is that entertainment journalism sucks.  The trick is to learn how to keep them at arm's length and feed them just enough to keep them on your side.

#7 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

The one constant throughout the decades is that entertainment journalism sucks.

Remove the word "entertainment" from that sentence and it would be an even more true statement. I'd almost argue that journalism, in its proper sense, is dead. Even the news outlets, whose sole job is to report the news to the people, has disappeared in favor of several outlets who are owned by the entertainment companies, looking instead to bring entertainment to the news while also trying to shape the policies themselves for their own interests rather than doing anything that is remotely good for the people.

Craig needs to be smarter, though. He's now a producer for a billion dollar franchise.