If so - what was he like? 

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

Met - um, well, if standing in front of Sir Roger while he signed his autobiography counts, then - yeah!  

And he was very polite, smiled and said "Thank you!".

And I said... "Thank you!"

And... that was it.

30 seconds I will treasure forever.  Um... well...

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:53 AM

I haven't met any of the six Bond actors, but I met Jimmy Dean (Willard Whyte) once. I don't remember much about it, as it was a very long time ago, and I didn't realize who he was at the time. But, that's the closes that I've come.

Honestly, though, I don't think that I want to meet any of them.

#4 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

My experience meeting James Bond is much like SecretAgentFan's. It was at a James Bond convention in Los Angeles in 1994 and I got to meet 007 #2 George Lazenby. It was pretty much hello and could you sign this and thank you. So overall nothing too special other than to say that I got to meet James Bond 007.

I also took a few pictures of Bond's vehicles as well as Lazenby and a couple of the Bond girls there--Gloria Hendry and Lynn-Holly Johnson. Other 007 stars at the event were Richard Kiel, Martine Beswick, Bruce Glover, Peter Hunt, and Raymond Benson. I got to chat with or listen to a few of the stars talking and Gloria Hendry, Lynn-Holly Johnson, Richard Kiel, and Peter Hunt, in particular, were really nice.

I also got to shake Jaws' hand and man that was something! His hand totally engulfed mine. I couldn't believe the size of it. I was like wow! Then we went and watched a screening of Goldfinger. It was a good weekend.

#5 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

In one photo of David Walliams' interview of Daniel Craig during the 2012 "Skyfall" Royal World Premiere, I can be seen in the background over Craig's right shoulder.  Yes, I got to photobomb James Bond.

#6 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

Closest I got was seeing Daniel Craig on stage on Broadway. 

#7 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

I once got to lunch with Desmond Llewelyn, which was almost better than meeting a Bond, because with Q sitting across from me, it's like I *was* James Bond...he just never got around to giving me my gadgets.

I'm not even sure I'd want to meet a Bond actor, unless somehow we were both attending the same social event as guests, which is about the unlikeliest development I can imagine.  If I ran into one of them on the street, or at a restaurant or whatever, I would never feel right intruding on his life, and even if I did, I'm sure I'd just say something stupid he'd heard a million times, already.  Probably the best I could hope for would be a nod across the room, as if to say, "I know who you are, and I'm going to leave you in peace," with the actor's return nod saying, "Thanks for recognizing me, and thanks for being cool about it."

That said, I would still stand in line to get Roger's autograph at an event, just because he's Roger.  And under those circumstances, I would expect any of the actors to be pleasant, because it's a "performance" of sorts: "In this scene, you're a charming actor who's happy to meet his fans."

#8 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

I'm going to agree with David M and TDalton about not wanting to meet a Bond star. Just too much there that may break the illusion of something I enjoy so much. Particularly with somebody as cantankerous as Connery, as private as Dalton or protective as Craig.

I've actually been able to interview numerous celebrities in my position as a journalist and really haven't had any particularly rude or arrogant attitudes. These aren't A-list people, mind you, but still a lot of folks with solid careers. You find that a lot are very down-to-earth people.

#9 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

They say you never want to meet your heroes as they might leave you disappointed - although I must say the various test pilots and the one astronaut I met/got autographs from certainly didn't.

I've never met any actor associated with Bond, although I did once get the autograph on "Licence Renewed" of the author John Gardner. This was just prior to the release of For Special Services, and he revealed a few tit bits about that, though not the twist at the end, of course. He seemed quite a nice chap.

#10 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Since we now know Pierce Brosnan carries knives around with him, it's probably best to steer clear of him, at least. :-)

#11 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:37 AM

In one photo of David Walliams' interview of Daniel Craig during the 2012 "Skyfall" Royal World Premiere, I can be seen in the background over Craig's right shoulder.  Yes, I got to photobomb James Bond.

I met David Walliams once!

#12 FredJB007

FredJB007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

In March 1996, I was working for Blockbuster Video and was fortunate to go with a group to the Blockbuster Entertainment Awards in Hollywood. Pierce Brosnan was there accepting an award for Best Action Actor for Goldeneye. At the end of the awards, my group hung around in the theatre waiting for our limo and we were asked to leave so they could close up. When we went out front, one of my friend's pointed out to me down the street were two couples looking like they were waiting for their limo. He said, "Look, it's Bond!"
Sure enough, it was Pierce and then fiancé Keely with another couple. He grabbed my arm and told me, "You gotta meet f#*king Bond- Let's Go!" We walked up to them, I stuck my hand out and all I could say was, "Hi Pierce, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your work." He gave me a "mans handshake" and said warmly "thank you very much." Pierce had his hair slicked back- he was filming "Mars Attacks" at the time. Keely was stunning. Absolutely beautiful. My camera was in the limo, otherwise I would have asked for a pic(this was way before smartphones). My buddy and I walked away and he said it best- "You just shook James Bond's hand!"

#13 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

I 'met' Sir Roger Moore once.

And so, how do you think he was...??  Perfect.

#14 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

Met - um, well, if standing in front of Sir Roger while he signed his autobiography counts, then - yeah!  

And he was very polite, smiled and said "Thank you!".

And I said... "Thank you!"

And... that was it.

30 seconds I will treasure forever.  Um... well...

Exactly the same for me :-)

#15 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:45 AM

My experience meeting James Bond is much like SecretAgentFan's. It was at a James Bond convention in Los Angeles in 1994 and I got to meet 007 #2 George Lazenby. It was pretty much hello and could you sign this and thank you. So overall nothing too special other than to say that I got to meet James Bond 007.

I also took a few pictures of Bond's vehicles as well as Lazenby and a couple of the Bond girls there--Gloria Hendry and Lynn-Holly Johnson. Other 007 stars at the event were Richard Kiel, Martine Beswick, Bruce Glover, Peter Hunt, and Raymond Benson. I got to chat with or listen to a few of the stars talking and Gloria Hendry, Lynn-Holly Johnson, Richard Kiel, and Peter Hunt, in particular, were really nice.

I also got to shake Jaws' hand and man that was something! His hand totally engulfed mine. I couldn't believe the size of it. I was like wow! Then we went and watched a screening of Goldfinger. It was a good weekend.

I was at the same convention. Lazenby was the only Bond I have actually met and talked to. However I was at the World Premiere of GE and was 10 ft away from Brosnan, but never actually talked to him.

I have been fortunate enough to meet several actors and behind the scenes people associated with the Bond films. One of the best was having lunch with Tom Mankewicz. 

Although not my favorite Bond, I think the actor I would most like to meet would be Roger Moore.

#16 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I went to a convention that had several Bond actors there and got to meet several of them.  Quick impressions:

Maud Adams:  Very warm and friendly

Richard Kiel: I only spoke to him briefly but he was also friendly.

Lois Chiles: A little shy but very nice.

George Lazenby: Did not seem to want to be there.  He had little to say even when I complimented his film.

#17 Stokes_

Stokes_

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

Not so much met...

During the Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2008, I was stood on York Place waiting for a friend of mine.  It was about 11pm.  There were only a few people milling around.  A man was approaching and as he got closer I started thinking, "Is that...?  No, it can't be..."

But it was, it was Sean Connery.

In my line of work I've come across and worked with a fair few celebrities but this was the only time I have been utterly star struck.  Obviously it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but there was still no way I was going to go over and speak to him.  Absolutely no way - he deserved his privacy.  Besides, he was walking around Edinburgh alone so either had already had plenty of people coming up to him during his stroll, or he'd be thankful he'd made it this far without anybody doing so.

We made eye contact though.  He could clearly tell that I knew who he was, and he might have just respected that I didn't come over, because he smiled and nodded 'good evening' as he walked past.

I've been going to the Fringe for the last 11 years, that was easily the highlight of the lot of them.

Incidentally, just like the gunbarrell, he walked past me right to left...

Edited by Stokes_, 03 November 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#18 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

Sadly never met an actor from a bond film. Closest I have come is I know the lady who was friends with Daniel Craigs mum and would walk him to school on occasion.

#19 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

I didn't meet him, but I attended the "Spectre" premiere at the Royal Albert Hall and was able to see Daniel Craig (and most of the other cast members) at close range.  Before leaving London, I attended a book signing with John Glen and was able to chat with him.  He's an extremely nice man. 

#20 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

I didn't meet him, but I attended the "Spectre" premiere at the Royal Albert Hall and was able to see Daniel Craig (and most of the other cast members) at close range.  Before leaving London, I attended a book signing with John Glen and was able to chat with him.  He's an extremely nice man. 

How on Earth did you get to attend the premiere?? 

#21 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

I entered the lottery sponsored by the CTBF and  "won" the right to purchase a pair of tickets, as did several other Bond friends.  I'd already planned on traveling to the UK to see the movie during premiere week and was prepared either to attend at the Royal Albert Hall, or at another venue, as circumstances dictated.  (I also attended the "Skyfall" premiere in 2012.)

#22 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:23 AM

Nothing at all for me.... though I think I found out after the fact that Timothy Dalton was once at the same concert I went to in Toronto back in the 90s... When I found out I was kind of pissed as he was, prior to Craig, my favourite Bond. Of course there is no logic to this... what was I going to do look for him among 20,000 people?

I have come across the odd celebrity but usually just leave them alone as I figure there just tired of it. I did come across Gene Simmons once at an airport in LA. He was taking pictures with some fans so I shook his hand quickly. I am not a massive Kiss fan but have seen them 5 times in concert (its a fun show even if your not a massive fan). 

Edited by Pushkin, 09 November 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#23 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:10 AM

In March 1996, I was working for Blockbuster Video and was fortunate to go with a group to the Blockbuster Entertainment Awards in Hollywood. Pierce Brosnan was there accepting an award for Best Action Actor for Goldeneye. At the end of the awards, my group hung around in the theatre waiting for our limo and we were asked to leave so they could close up. When we went out front, one of my friend's pointed out to me down the street were two couples looking like they were waiting for their limo. He said, "Look, it's Bond!"
Sure enough, it was Pierce and then fiancé Keely with another couple. He grabbed my arm and told me, "You gotta meet f#*king Bond- Let's Go!" We walked up to them, I stuck my hand out and all I could say was, "Hi Pierce, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your work." He gave me a "mans handshake" and said warmly "thank you very much." Pierce had his hair slicked back- he was filming "Mars Attacks" at the time. Keely was stunning. Absolutely beautiful. My camera was in the limo, otherwise I would have asked for a pic(this was way before smartphones). My buddy and I walked away and he said it best- "You just shook James Bond's hand!"

Not so much met...

During the Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2008, I was stood on York Place waiting for a friend of mine.  It was about 11pm.  There were only a few people milling around.  A man was approaching and as he got closer I started thinking, "Is that...?  No, it can't be..."

But it was, it was Sean Connery.

In my line of work I've come across and worked with a fair few celebrities but this was the only time I have been utterly star struck.  Obviously it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but there was still no way I was going to go over and speak to him.  Absolutely no way - he deserved his privacy.  Besides, he was walking around Edinburgh alone so either had already had plenty of people coming up to him during his stroll, or he'd be thankful he'd made it this far without anybody doing so.

We made eye contact though.  He could clearly tell that I knew who he was, and he might have just respected that I didn't come over, because he smiled and nodded 'good evening' as he walked past.

I've been going to the Fringe for the last 11 years, that was easily the highlight of the lot of them.

Incidentally, just like the gunbarrell, he walked past me right to left...

Two memories I envy! Well done, gentlemen.