20 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 02:24 PM

The Mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit, has confirmed talks with MGM about a shooting of Bond 21 in the German capital. Berlin located newspaper "Tagesspiegel" reports that Wowereit talked to different studios during an US journey which took place last week. According to the paper also negotiations with MGM about a shooting in Berlin and near Berlin located film studios Babelsberg took place. While Babelsberg studios don't know anything about the mayor's plan, Wowereit seems to be very optimistic.

Babelsberg Studios are Germany's biggest film studios. Parts of the Berlin scenes for 1983's "Octopussy" were also shot there.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 02:41 PM

I don't have anything against filming there, but will the new film also be set there? Bond was just in Germany for TND. If it's a cost-cutting move that's not a problem. They've done it before. It may be good news for you, Tim007.

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 03:27 PM

Very interesting. Berlin would be great. IMO, the Hamburg part in TND was a bit dull, this wasn't really "Bond in Germany".

Berlin has got many huge brand new buildings that were built after the wall came down, some of them aren't even finished by now (but I guess they will by the time of shooting).Those would make some great scenes.

I already thought about this when I recently watched a documentary about current building activities in Berlin on TV, and I loved the idea.

Sadly enough, Berlin is 750 km away from my hometown, and Tim's way would also be about 700 km. From that point of view, I would prefer Paris, that's only half the distance :).

#4 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 03:46 PM

Berlin has got many huge brand new buildings that were built after the wall came down, some of them aren't even finished by now (but I guess they will by the time of shooting).Those would make some great scenes.

Actually I'd much rather see them use the older buildings of the area (though I can't remember any offhand; old houses, castles, etc.) Recent Bonds haven't had much in the way of travelogue, and using the old buildings might give the film a nice feel to it. Just my two cents.

I can't remember if this is in Berlin (I'm nearly certain it isn't; it's been a while since I learned about it), but I'd love to see Neuschwanstein as a mobile MI-6.

Dave

#5 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 03:58 PM

Well, Neuschwanstein is in Bavaria, which is located in the very south of Germany. Berlin is in the northeast :)

And I would hate Neuschwanstein. I don't like these Bavarian castles :)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 04:07 PM

Seems a little too soon after TND to do Germany again.

Come on Eon, break out of Europe! Let's go somewhere we haven't gone. Send Bond to Africa!

#7 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 05:04 PM

Shouldn't we have an interesting story first?

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 07:11 PM

Bond was in Africa for TLD (Morocco), in TSWLM (Egypt) and Diamonda Are Forever (South Africa). I would like to see Bond in Bavaria, I love the look of those Bavarian castles and this would also allow for a lot of snow and skiiing (which I love in Bond movies).
The villains lair could be in one of those castles.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 07:21 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Bond was in Africa for TLD (Morocco), in TSWLM (Egypt) and Diamonda Are Forever (South Africa). I would like to see Bond in Bavaria, I love the look of those Bavarian castles and this would also allow for a lot of snow and skiiing (which I love in Bond movies).
The villains lair could be in one of those castles.

I don't mean Northern Africa, I'm talking Bond on safari! (And Bond himself was never in South Africa in DAF so I don't count that).

If you want to see Bond in Bavaria with castles and such, DLibrasnow, you should read NEVER SEND FLOWERS.

But I'm not going to believe this Bond 21 in Germany thing right now. It's too early. Remember how many times we heard (from Pierce himself!) that Bond 20 was going to be set in Ireland?

#10 Cyris

Cyris

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 08:51 PM

How is it to send Bond to Austria. I think i was there since TLD in Vienna, but there are more nice place to show in a Bond movie.

#11 C. Tounes

C. Tounes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:10 PM

That's great news, Germany is a nice down-to-Earth location, not like Iceland kind of, I've always wanted to visit Germany...

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 10:02 PM

Oh I really think that news is false. It's just far too early in the game to start negotiating countries I think. I could be wrong, but it just feels wrogn considering the producers are 'on tour', so to speak.

#13 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 11:36 PM

Why not Poland. Blofeld was born in Gdynia. Gdynia is a Polish city.

#14 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 11:54 PM

And of course, Bond has never visited the Great Southern Land :)

#15 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 07:59 AM

You mean New Zealand? :)

#16 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 01:25 AM

I would like to see a Amercian City, New York, LA, just don't picture Bond in US, because's he's British and all, maybe as a pre-title sequence, something for the Amercians to talk about, Bond filming in New York, etc.

India would be great to visit again, in a different area to Octopussy.

#17 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 02:30 AM

Austraila would be an excellent and beautiful location, I think. The people are beautiful, the architecture is beautiful - especially in Sydney. Sure, sections of Mission: Impossible 2 were filmed there, but I think there is a lot of the city that probably hasn't been explored. I would also like to see Bond go to France - Paris, perhaps, or Nice - locations he may have been to before (Paris was in AVTAK but briefly, and I think Nice made an appearance in NSNA) but were not explored as well as they could have been, Paris especially.

#18 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 07:13 PM

I'd like Bond to go to the places he's been to in the books, but not yet in the films, like (I know I'm gonna spell it wrong) Madiera ( oh how pleased I got when I thought it was gonna be in DAD - possibly doubling for Cuba) Israel, Finland, Ireland, Serria Leonne, Sth Carolina, Washington DC, Ischia, Milan, etc etc etc.
I'd also like Sth Africa and my favourite country Australia - but no more outback, Oz has a lot more to offer like the Whitsundays and the Grt Bar Reef.

#19 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 07:03 PM

Ahem...
this once again shows what can happen if a newspaper has to shorten an article:

Yes, Klaus Wowereit was in Los Angeles.
Yes, he talked with film producers.
Yes, they talked about shooting a new James Bond movie in Berlin.
The company he negociated with was very optimistic about their plans for a new James Bond movie...

... but he talked to SONY!! Looks like ole' McClory is here again.

Couldn't find the news in English anywhere, but here's a link to German Yahoo, for those of you who speak German:

http://de.news.yahoo...1/27/32xa6.html

#20 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 07:38 PM

Ah ****, I wanted to update that article, I completely forgot about that!

#21 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Tim007
Ah ****, I wanted to update that article, I completely forgot about that!

Thought so, Tim. You already told me about it last week and I was waiting for you to update. But you didn't, and so I thought it would be better to inform people before a useless discussion goes on.

And also to let people know that McClory is not dead yet (he just smells funny). :)