#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:03 AM

Let's have your suggestions.

Personally, I would move away from the one-word titles for a while and go with something a little more literary sounding.

I'm adding this to the fact that I just found out recently that THE PROPERTY OF A LADY was supposed to be Timothy Dalton's third Bond outing: http://jamesbond.wik...of_A_Lady_(film)

That said, so long as it's pronounced in the trailer, I would fine with RISICO coming up eventually (maybe for the 4th film starring Bond #7?)  And, of course, SHATTERHAND. :)

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 09 August 2015 - 01:04 AM.

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Maybe, after SPECTRE it will actually be logical to call the next one SHATTERHAND...

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

Unless they're going to start using some of the chapter titles (I would like to see "A Whisper of Hate" as a title), then I'd say we're out of usable Fleming titles. The ones that remain just aren't suitable for titles of a blockbuster film.

#4 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

Maybe, after SPECTRE it will actually be logical to call the next one SHATTERHAND...

I think they should avoid any title that contains the word 'shat'. Promoting that on the Graham Norton Show would be a nightmare.

#5 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Unless they're going to start using some of the chapter titles (I would like to see "A Whisper of Hate" as a title), then I'd say we're out of usable Fleming titles. The ones that remain just aren't suitable for titles of a blockbuster film.

Eh, I disagree, at least with regard to SHATTERHAND: it's a classic Bondian "two words combined into one non-existent but cool-sounding word" type of title in the vein of GOLDFINGER, THUNDERBALL, SKYFALL, etc.  The problem with RISICO is pronunciation.  THE PROPERTY OF A LADY is the most antiquated-sounding -- kind of where QUANTUM OF SOLACE put us -- but the title was the least of that film's problems, and the acceptance or non-acceptance of a title really comes down to the quality of the film itself.

Dave

#6 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

I hope so. It's been my preferred title for years now.

#7 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

As for the open door to low humor that comes with the title,

Here's the tag line:

Shatterhand

Whatever you do

Don't shake his hand

#8 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:48 PM

I'd agree. I'm sure the finale of SPECTRE will leave Blofeld on the run under another name. I'd also bet they'll use much of Fleming's YOLT for the story, so if it's not called Shatterhand, then probably The Garden of Death.

Be a great swan song for Craig. As i've said before, there would be wonderful pathos and closure to end Craig's run shipping himself off to the enemy (whomever that may be in an updated version) having only partially recovered from amnesia and mistakingly assuming he's one of their's... That'd mean they could start B26 (with or without Craig) with TMWTGG's opening, which is fantastic.

What'd make that a suitable entrance for Craig's successor is that Bond's recovery after that opening involves him re-learning who he was - the storey's grand arch being that he has to decide afresh if that's a job he wants (which of course it is). It's the character's reboot that set Bond up for another several adventures had Fleming lived.

So yes, i think 'Shatterhand' is very much on the cards.

#9 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bond 25 featured an attempt to recreate on screen the "Garden of Death" story from the novel YOLT, whether or not the current villain from Spectre - Oberhauser/Blofeld(?) is in it. Just as it could feature a final confrontation with the man who is the author of all Bond's pain, or some other villain (Blofeld, assuming Oberhauser isn't Blofeld, or a new villain who happens to cultivate poisonous plants and wildlife.)

And introducing a new actor as Bond in the 26th movie in the way suggested in Odd Jobbies post would be interesting, to say the least! I've always wanted to see the opening from the novel of TMWTGG used in a Bond film. It would certainly confound audience expectations, although as it would be in the opening of the film the audience would be well aware that Bond wouldn't be in this state for long. (A bit like when "James Bond" gets bumped off by Red Grant at the start of FRWL, but with the complication that this Bond isn't an imposter but the real man, brainwashed.)

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:32 AM

I would actually like that!

#11 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

It would be different, but at the same time it would be from an authentic Bond source.

Whether audiences would take to an opening featuring a brainwashed Bond attempting to assassinate M I don't know. Then again they accepted Bond's return to duty in SF as a man who went AWOL for three months, turning into an alcoholic (some critics would argue "even more of an alcoholic"!) dishevelled mess who couldn't shoot straight.

(When I think of the scenes in SF when Bond has to aim at a target and fire, it puts me in mind, although it shouldn't, of the scene in "Blazing Saddles" when the sheriff meets Gene Wilder's "Waco Kid" for the first time; Waco "See that hand?" - Sheriff "Steady as a rock" - Waco "Yeah, but I shoot with this one!", raising a very shaky other hand!)

#12 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

I guess the "brainwashed"-opening of TMWTGG would not have been accepted by audiences during the Moore, Dalton or Brosnan era.

After Craig and in a general "doom & gloom"-friendly genre era, IMO, it would be even embraced as gritty and realistic.

And for me, it would actually be a pretty good way to introduce a new Bond actor.

#13 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

You and I (both being German) know why the title Shatterhand could be a legal problem. For the rest: https://en.wikipedia...Old_Shatterhand

This has been Germany's most popular fictional hero (along with his blood brother Winnetou) for more than 100 years, and as Karl-May-Verlag (the publishers) still is a money machine who's never been too shy to go to court, I can imagine that they secured their name rights to no end. But then again, it's a problem that could be solved with a nice amount of money...

I once read (but can't remember where) that Fleming got the name from a Berlin pub or café who was named after that character.

#14 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Link didn't work in my initial post.  Last parenthesis should be part of the link, but keeps automatically changing.

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 19 August 2015 - 04:06 PM.

#15 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:33 AM

You and I (both being German) know why the title Shatterhand could be a legal problem. For the rest: https://en.wikipedia...Old_Shatterhand

This has been Germany's most popular fictional hero (along with his blood brother Winnetou) for more than 100 years, and as Karl-May-Verlag (the publishers) still is a money machine who's never been too shy to go to court, I can imagine that they secured their name rights to no end. But then again, it's a problem that could be solved with a nice amount of money...

I once read (but can't remember where) that Fleming got the name from a Berlin pub or café who was named after that character.

Absolutely true.  And for me, it has always been difficult not to smile at "Shatterhand" being part of the Bond universe.  But since there has been support for this title on this board (mostly by non-Germans, I suppose) I was beginning to warm to it.

It might also be something that can be resolved, as you say, with money.  And one might add to this that the younger generation is not that familiar with Karl May and the movie adaptations anymore.  When I talk with my nephews about "Winnetou" they mostly look at me with amusement and, um, ignorance.

#16 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:53 AM

Trigger Mortis

#17 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

Unused Fleming I'd be happy with:

Death Leaves an Echo
Shatterhand
The Rough with the Smooth
Blood and Thunder
The Last and the Biggest
The Wizard of Ice
The Death Collector
Slay it with Flowers
The Richest Man in the World
The Belles of Hell
The Wound Man
State of Excitement

#18 DisneyGets007

DisneyGets007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hey guys; i've just made a backup Youtube channel, which is my campaign channel from my other Youtube channel dwho1995picturesUK. Click here if you want to interest at my campaign channel: https://www.youtube....w3nOcoMrck8sgFw

...or if is not, you can search "TheDIsneyMGMCampaign" in the Youtube search box

#19 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys; i've just made a backup Youtube channel, which is my campaign channel from my other Youtube channel dwho1995picturesUK. Click here if you want to interest at my campaign channel: https://www.youtube....w3nOcoMrck8sgFw

...or if is not, you can search "TheDIsneyMGMCampaign" in the Youtube search box

giphy.gif

#20 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Absolutely true.  And for me, it has always been difficult not to smile at "Shatterhand" being part of the Bond universe.  But since there has been support for this title on this board (mostly by non-Germans, I suppose) I was beginning to warm to it.

It might also be something that can be resolved, as you say, with money.  And one might add to this that the younger generation is not that familiar with Karl May and the movie adaptations anymore.  When I talk with my nephews about "Winnetou" they mostly look at me with amusement and, um, ignorance.

Special thanks to Stromberg and SecretAgentFan. The mainland European perspective (and knowledge!) you bring to this board makes for much fascinating reading. :)

#21 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

I'd actually prefer 'A Whisper of Love'.

#22 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

A WHISPER OF LOVE sounds like an awful paperback romance novel.

#23 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:38 AM

How is Risico pronounced, then? It might be REE-SEE-CO, RI-SICK-O or even REE-SICK-O. 

#24 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

How about these two from Goldfinger? ;

"The Last And The Biggest", and

"Crime de la Crime"

#25 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

Both of those are great. If Fleming had named Goldfinger either of those two things, we wouldn't bat an eye. I also like DRAGON SPOOR from DR NO.

#26 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

Both of those are great. If Fleming had named Goldfinger either of those two things, we wouldn't bat an eye. I also like DRAGON SPOOR from DR NO.

Wasn't Ian Fleming originally going to title Goldfinger "The Richest Man In The World" ? A title which has already been listed on an earlier post here?

#27 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

The gangsters in Goldfinger would also make for good character names. Louie Paradise. Jed Midnight. Helmut Springer. Billy Ring. Jack Strap. And when do we finally get Seraffimo Spang? That name's up there with Scaramanga in effectiveness. And will we see Blofeld operate out of Spectreville in Bond 25? Such a rich well of Fleming that they haven't quite tapped yet!

#28 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

The gangsters in Goldfinger would also make for good character names. Louie Paradise. Jed Midnight. Helmut Springer. Billy Ring. Jack Strap. And when do we finally get Seraffimo Spang? That name's up there with Scaramanga in effectiveness. And will we see Blofeld operate out of Spectreville in Bond 25? Such a rich well of Fleming that they haven't quite tapped yet!

I think Messrs. Midnight and Strap were mentioned, however briefly, in the gangsters briefing scene in the film GF. The rest of them, you are right, they haven't been used yet.

Having brothers as Bond villains would be interesting - Jack and Seraffimo. I think what might be more interesting is twin brothers (Tom Hardy is playing both Kray twins in the film "Legend")

Imagine a Bond film with twin villains - or one good twin and one bad, and 007 doesn't know which to trust.

(Thinking about it, wasn't that part of the John Gardner novel "Never Send Flowers"? The villain had a twin brother?)

#29 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

Shatterhand, Risico, and Property of a Lady. In that order.

#30 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

A WHISPER OF LOVE sounds like an awful paperback romance novel.

A Whisper of Hate is a better option.