#1 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

Stumbled across this one: http://www.amazon.co...8FXT8ZTKNGYCEXM

Could be interesting, maybe a kind of meainstream release of the catalogue for the tremendous "Designing Bond"-exhibition a few years ago.  This is the PR text:

"Bond By Design gives an exclusive tour through EON Productions' James Bond archives - a treasure trove of set, storyboard, vehicle, gadget and costume designs, many of which have never been published before. Accessing EON Productions' vast archive of more than 50 years of art and design, featuring the work of legendary Bond film designers such as Ken Adam, Peter Lamont and Syd Cain. The book provides a unique, spectacular and fascinating insight into the longest-running film franchise of all time. Reveals the craft behind the creation of famous sets, such as Stromberg's Atlantis base in The Spy Who Loved Me and Drax's shuttle launch site in Moonraker, as well as technical drawings of Bond's gadget-laden Aston Martin DB5. Includes two exclusive, full-colour prints of Bond film designs. Bond By Design also brings the James Bond story right up to date with behind-the-scenes artwork from the newest film, SPECTRE. 

© 1962 - 2015 Danjaq, LLC and United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved. "James Bond", [007 logo] and related James Bond Trademarks are trademarks of Danjaq, LLC, licensed by EON Productions Limited."

#2 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

Good find. I'm hoping there's a listing for 'Bond on Set: Filming SPECTRE' soon. 

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

That's an area that has yet to get a full look, so I'm glad to have this one out there. I've got the two Ken Adam books that are overviews of his career. He was the most influential Bond film production designer, but I want the full story. I just hope they took the time to speak with Adam, Cain and Lamont and others.

I've also thought a book of storyboards from each film would be an interesting book as well.

#4 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Sharpshooter, there already is a book listed on Amazon about the filming of SPECTRE, but this time it's not called Bond on set.

It has the title: Blood, Sweat and Bond: behind the scene's of SPECTRE (Curated by Rankin) by DK and Rankin. 27 oktober.

I've already pre-ordered one.

#5 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

I've got Syd Cain's book, plus three on Adam (one on his career exhibition, plus the two Frayling volumes), so I'm not sure that there's a ton more I'd be interested in, unless somebody wants to donate me their Taaschen Bond. I really did like some of what was done by Gassner in an Adamesque fashion for QUANTUM, but haven't really seen much of visual excitement outside of QUANTUM in the last 25 years or so (haven't enjoyed any of the movies since Dalton era either.)

There were a couple pieces of art in ART OF BOND that I hadn't seen elsewhere, but that hardly offset the errors. Glad I only spend three bucks on it.

#6 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

The Taschen Bond is currently available for cheap, as there'll be a new edition including SPECTRE (see you next Xmas...)

As for Ken Adam, he donated his entire archive to Deutsche Kinemathek. It's currently being digitised and will be available online this fall. https://www.deutsche...en-adam-archive

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

Sharpshooter, there already is a book listed on Amazon about the filming of SPECTRE, but this time it's not called Bond on set.

It has the title: Blood, Sweat and Bond: behind the scene's of SPECTRE (Curated by Rankin) by DK and Rankin. 27 oktober.

Thanks for the heads up, Grard Bond. I've added it to my wishlist. 200 pages, too, so about the same length as the Skyfall book. 

#8 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

As for Ken Adam, he donated his entire archive to Deutsche Kinemathek. It's currently being digitised and will be available online this fall. https://www.deutsche...en-adam-archive

That is seriously exciting news. I have been fascinated for decades by his involvement with an unmade STAR TREK film from the 70s, which was going to be directed by Phil Kaufman and feature miniatures by Derek Meddings and optical effects from Jordan Freaking Belson, and the pics have been few and far between, so if there are any new ones surfacing, I will be first in line! 

#9 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

Oh, did not see that yet.  Thanks for the headsup!  DK is behind the "design"-book as well.  I just hope that the great photography books of the previous films will also continue.

#10 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Good find. I'm hoping there's a listing for 'Bond on Set: Filming SPECTRE' soon. 

I hope Greg Williams is doing one of those again. I LOVE those books.

#11 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

The cover is released.  Could very well be from the exhibition "Designing Bond".

http://www.amazon.co...sh_co_d7_g14_i3

#12 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Did you note the weight? 1.8 kg?!? This must be a little elephant...

#13 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Did you note the weight? 1.8 kg?!? This must be a little elephant...

Not really. The DK 50th anniversary poster book has the same size and has 2.7kg.

#14 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:57 PM

Have to see what the Archives comes up with in terms of weight...

#15 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

I also saw on amazon this book: "James Bond: The Evolution of Bond: 1000 Copy limited edition" (collection editions) from Damien M. Buckland.

132 pag. released july 9  2015.

Anyone knows this book? Somehow it doesn't look like something great, but I could be wrong?

#16 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

I saw that Evolution of Bond book too when I was looking up the Bond by Design book (liked the Batman TV series one too). Can't argue with the price, but I also don't want to pay for something that is just a repeat of information and photos I have in abundance in other books and magazines. The cover also shows a lot of posters. I have entire volumes devoted to just that subject.

It's too bad there aren't as many bookstores, or for that matter ones that carry books such as this you can browse through before committing. I love Amazon, but sometimes you want a little more before making a purchase.

I guess that's why discussion boards like this are valuable as we can share what we find out.

#17 dutch_pepper

dutch_pepper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

I also saw on amazon this book: "James Bond: The Evolution of Bond: 1000 Copy limited edition" (collection editions) from Damien M. Buckland.

132 pag. released july 9  2015.

Anyone knows this book? Somehow it doesn't look like something great, but I could be wrong?

I also saw that one. Don't know if it's any good, or if there's new info in it.

#18 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

Got the "Bond by design" book last Friday from Amazon:

it's huge and awsome!

What you got is over 300 (!) pages of design drawings and story boards. To begin with Dr. No and it goes all the way to SPECTRE (unfortunately that one has only 2 pages with a drawing of the openingscene).

So no photo's or moviestills, just designing stuff, if you're not into this, don't buy it, otherwise it's a real treasure!

I think it's incredible, I have never seen a book like this about the Bond movies before. A lot of this stuff you could see at the "Designing 007" exibition, but there's so much more in this exellent book.

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

It's lovely, although a bit odd that Adam's drawings of the Moonraker set aren't there!

Also I was hoping for nicer examples of Ken Adam's sketches as prints as I'd actually like to put one up. Anyone know if you can buy Adam prints anywhere?

#20 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

I think there was a gallery in London where you could buy some a few years ago. Couldn't find anything on the net.

Ken Adam donated his entire archives to the Deutsche Kinemathek in Berlin (and he really gave them everything, that includes his Oscars). They're currently digitizing the whole stuff and are going to make it available online for studying purposes in 2016. Not sure if the deal includes the option of making and selling prints of his work. 

http://www.deutsche-...en-adam-archive

#21 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback Grard Bond and marktmurphy. I was tossing and turning as to whether I'd order this book, but based on this response it seems worth the money. 

#22 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

I think there was a gallery in London where you could buy some a few years ago. Couldn't find anything on the net.

Ken Adam donated his entire archives to the Deutsche Kinemathek in Berlin (and he really gave them everything, that includes his Oscars). They're currently digitizing the whole stuff and are going to make it available online for studying purposes in 2016. Not sure if the deal includes the option of making and selling prints of his work. 

http://www.deutsche-...en-adam-archive

Thank you; that's interesting stuff.

#23 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

My copy arrived today. So glad I went ahead and ordered this. Quite a lot of the content is new to me. So I don't think it's the typical re-hash of old content. Very, very recommended.

#24 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

Great you liked it!

#25 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

Got this book for Christmas this morning.  What a beautifully designed and put together book!  Classy!