What is Bond's opinion on capitalism?

3 replies to this topic

#1 nanolark

nanolark

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:19 AM

Clearly, he's a consumer; a connoisseur of luxurious items. Yet, if I'm correct, Bond doesn't speak about capitalism, straightforwardly, in the novels. Are there really no quotes?

#2 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

Well, Bond loves Jamaica and the IMF financially raped that country and left it for dead. So i'm guessing he has his reservations.

#3 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

He's not a deep thinker and would have no opinion!

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

If 007 had been a firm and convinced communist he'd have joined the likes of Philby, Burgess and Maclean - working for Moscow behind the scenes before being found out.

I'd say Bond is a quiet British patriot more than an out and out defender of capitalism. He takes full advantage of the western world's ways - and indulges in other cultures when he has to. But is Bond unashamedly fighting for the capitalist system? - I'm not sure he gives it a thought. He just does his duty when ordered and enjoys himself off duty.

That said, in the films at least, Bond has done more to damage capitalists than most. You don't have to be a Bond arch villain to be rich, but it seems that you have to be rich to be a Bond arch villain - henchmen are quite a different issue! Shipping and aerospace billionaires, high tech capitalists, louche Afghan aristocrats, supposedly respectable millionaire playboys - they've all been outed by Bond as wrong 'uns and defeated by him (To say nothing of SPECTRE - once described by a reviewer as a cross between the Mafia, the SS and IBM - and Quantum, apparently loaded with the loaded up to no good!)

Given that, I'd say the Order Of Lenin awarded to 007 at the end of AVTAK was well deserved - although, ironically, it was awarded because he saved that hot bed of hi tech capitalism, Silicon Valley ("Where would Russian research be without it?" ;))