This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

First SPECTRE TV spot (non-spoiler discussion)

30 replies to this topic

#1 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

Well, what does everyone think of the new TV spot? Looks pretty impressive.

My initial thoughts were that Bond seems to bed at least 2 women and he also flies a plane again. We have snow and we have old buildings. Great to see some action although not much original stuff there at the moment. The night car chase looks great.

What did my non-spoiler friends think?

Or anyone for that matter, without spoiling anything for us?

#2 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

Great to see the DB 10 in action!  Also, a bit of Mr. Hinx doing his henchman thing was pretty cool as well.

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

Hmm, isn´t a trailer by itself a huge spoiler?  ;)

But really - I liked it a lot.  So many new moments, unfortunately so short that I have to watch the trailer many more times to really digest them. 

Which I was to do anyway, of course.

#4 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

Loved the trailer and I am now playing the guessing game...

I have avoided the spoilers but there are obviously 2 big questions - 1) Is Blofeld in this movie? - I am guessing yes and I am guessing its Waltz (despite so many claims that he is not) 2) Is there a Tracy-like figure in this movie. Given that the poster certainly looks like a shot through the windshield, I am thinking yes. But who is it? Is it one of lead actresses? Is it someone/event that took place in the past?

Can't wait for it to come out!

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

I was watching the game and was shocked to see it, figuring it was just the initial teaser trailer and then I saw Bond in action and this was the trailer I'd hoped for. Now it favorably compares with the MI: Rogue Nation Trailer. Love Craig's variation on the "Bond, James Bond" line. Getting more excited for SPECTRE all the time.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Craig's delivery of 'the line' is certainly unique to the franchise, and it works a treat. At first I thought he was doing the delayed "Bond…James Bond" style delivery. But no. He emphasised every one of the words individually. I'd say he's in seduction mode. 

#7 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

Note to Golden State Warriors, that's how you finish!

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Much better- some action!

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hmm, isn´t a trailer by itself a huge spoiler?  ;)

But really - I liked it a lot.  So many new moments, unfortunately so short that I have to watch the trailer many more times to really digest them. 

Which I was to do anyway, of course.

Yes - I did mention the very same in the last Trailer thread, but I'm not sure anyone saw the irony, or if they did, they walked on by...

#10 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

There were no spoilers in that trailer - just a series of images. I have no clue about the plot whatsoever even though I have watched the trailer. I also have no idea who any of the characters are.

I don't see how you can get any of that from a trailer? I can imagine those following spoilers would think otherwise because they are following the spoilers. But for me it was simply - Bond, action scene, car, girl, girl, punch, man falling off a balcony - those things happen in most of the Bond movies!!

By the way, the Skyfall trailer still does not give away any of the plot of that film.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#11 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

There were no spoilers in that trailer - just a series of images. I have no clue about the plot whatsoever even though I have watched the trailer. I also have no idea who any of the characters are.

I don't see how you can get any of that from a trailer? I can imagine those following spoilers would think otherwise because they are following the spoilers. But for me it was simply - Bond, action scene, car, girl, girl, punch, man falling off a balcony - those things happen in most of the Bond movies!!

By the way, the Skyfall trailer still does not give away any of the plot of that film.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agreed.  No spoilers in the trailer.  Aside from the very, very general setup that was already in the previous trailer (which we knew would be featured because a Bond film is required to feature the "trust" angle in the post-Cubby era), there's nothing in this TV spot that could be considered a spoiler.  I know nothing about the film and after viewing the spot, still don't.

#12 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:32 AM

What did you think of the imagery, tdalton? I felt there were lots of night scenes. Looks very European.

I was wondering to myself the other day about which Bond movie takes place mostly at night, or which Bond has the most night scenes. FRWL, DAF, LTK and TWINE spring to mind.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

#13 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

I think the film looks fantastic, just as Skyfall did.  

That's the one thing that Mendes and company seem to have really gotten right, so at least we'll have that to fall back on again if the rest of the film once again doesn't hold up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny.

#14 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

I think the film looks fantastic, just as Skyfall did.  

That's the one thing that Mendes and company seem to have really gotten right, so at least we'll have that to fall back on again if the rest of the film once again doesn't hold up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Yes you are right. Skyfall looked fantastic. I think SPECTRE looks very beautifully but also carefully shot. I think they were very careful about each shot in Skyfall.

#15 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

I think they probably should've just released this full trailer right from the start. 

#16 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

I think they probably should've just released this full trailer right from the start. 

You could be right. On that note, aren't we getting an official 2nd trailer some time soon?

#17 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

You could be right. On that note, aren't we getting an official 2nd trailer some time soon?

Not sure, but with this extended TV spot, I wouldn't mind if the next trailer is months away. My thirst has been quenched. 

#18 HoneyDiamond

HoneyDiamond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

I think it's a great trailer.  It's just a sneak peak while promising an exciting Bond adventure.  I love the look of this film (and Skyfall) and the locations look great.  I have to admit I'm going into this one with super high hopes. 

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

It's very monochrome, isn't it? Almost in black and white, plus a bit of an orangey colour scheme too.

#20 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

This is more like it even if the clips are a little too fast. Still it does whet the appetite. Really like the car jump, the shot of Hinx, the plane sledding down the mountain, and the final "Bond...James Bond" line (which looks like a classic moment, particularly if he immediately kisses Lucia Sciarra).

#21 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

It's very monochrome, isn't it? Almost in black and white, plus a bit of an orangey colour scheme too.

The snow stuff is very black-and-white. Nighttime stuff and interiors are mostly orange/gold (particularly for the Italy stuff).

#22 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

#23 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

The snow stuff is very black-and-white. Nighttime stuff and interiors are mostly orange/gold (particularly for the Italy stuff).

It's notable that pretty much all of the characters are wearing black or very dark, muted colours- Bond appears to be in black almost all the way through. All of the vehicles are black or grey, with the Jag being the only exception matching the orangey/gold palette. I know there's a funeral at one point, but it's not looking like the most technicolour of Bond movies! :)

#24 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

The black costuming (the costuming in general, actually) gives the film a sort of gothic feel. It's very forboding.

#25 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

#26 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

The black costuming (the costuming in general, actually) gives the film a sort of gothic feel. It's very forboding.

Yes, I agree. It does have a gothic feel. The locations seem to confirm that too.

#27 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:38 AM

It's notable that pretty much all of the characters are wearing black or very dark, muted colours- Bond appears to be in black almost all the way through. All of the vehicles are black or grey, with the Jag being the only exception matching the orangey/gold palette. I know there's a funeral at one point, but it's not looking like the most technicolour of Bond movies! :)

True, true.

We'll have to see whether or not the Mexico stuff provides a kind of contrast with the more subdued color palettes on display here. We only get the briefest glimpse of that material here.

#28 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:25 AM

It does remind me of QoS with the monochrome/earth tone look.

#29 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

Wonder if the opening being set in Mexico's Day of the Dead celebration sets forth the tone and color palette for the rest of the film?

#30 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Her is Hoytema's most vivid looking film, I'd say, but even some of his less vivid work (Interstellar, The Fighter) are still very aesthetically pleasing to look at. Judging by the teaser trailer and the TV spot, I'd say we're in for something similar, especially with the oranges (Bond's flat, SPECTRE meeting, Rome, trying to remember other scenes that had a similar palate.) Mexico does look to be one of the more colorful sequences in the film, but I'll wait and see until there's more footage of the sequences.