This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Trigger Mortis

September 2015

142 replies to this topic

Poll: Trigger Mortis - the new Bond novel

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

The title

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When it's released...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Insofar as these "one-shot noted author" Bonds, since 2008, have gone...

This inclusion of Fleming material and Pussy Galore...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Orion have sent out a limited edition of 100 signed proofs. I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a signed proof. Pretty nifty:

TRIGGER MORTIS limited edition proof

Also, Bentley:

James Bond will drive a Bentley in TRIGGER MORTIS

#32 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:41 PM

Wow, Zencat, I'm impressed!  Congratulations!

#33 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

Hurrah! An embossed cover! Haven't had one of those since YOLT in 1964. (At least I don't think so. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me.)

Anybody else a fan of those embossed covers? Frederick Forsyth's UK hardbacks also had them up to "The Fourth Protocol" in 1984.

#34 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:45 AM

Love the title! Very "Flemingesque" to my ears.

I probably won't buy it. The only non-IF Bond book I ever liked was Colonel Sun. None of the continuation books written since have appealed to me.

#35 Trempo

Trempo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

The German book has also the title 'Trigger Mortis' with the subtitle 'Der Finger Gottes' (The finger of God)
http://www.cross-cul...d-horowitz.html

#36 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

Trigger Mortis is the best Continuation Bond novel since Colonel Sun. 
It's certainly preferable to the Devil May Care, Carte Blanche and  Solo.

The Fleming fits seemlessly and it is not a cod Film plot.

Sometimes hope is not in vain.

#37 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:26 PM

Great to hear. An endorsement like that really does get me excited for it (despite the cringing title).

#38 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:32 AM

I hope I feel the same. A good Bond novel would be a good way to kick off autumn.

#39 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:09 AM

It would. A solid adult Bond novel is long overdue, especially now they have the films under control. 

I was cautiously optimistic about Trigger Mortis, and with ACE's comments above, I'm starting to be more excited. 

#40 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

I've read every Bond novel so far, so I will definitely buy this one to. I've never read any of Mr. Horowitz's books, so honestly I have no idea what to think of him writing a continuation novel. I don't mind using Fleming's source material (why now?), though I also think it's more of a gimmick.
As for the title. I like it. Although its translation into eg. Polish will be impossible.
I'm looking forward to reading it, though previous three novels were terrible (okay, Solo wasn't, but still flawed).
Unfortunately it doesn't really matter if the novel is good or not. The whole "one-shot noted author" concept is ridiculous and that's what really bothers me. What I really want is IFP to pick an author who will have a chance to create his own version of James Bond, like Gardner or Benson did. I don't want to wait another two, three or four years to get another novel that may or may not be great. That nobody knows if it should be a reboot, set in a past or whatever.
And for God's sake, have Charlie Higson write an adult Bond novel! :)

Edited by Marcin, 17 June 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#41 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

though I also think it's more of a gimmick.

That's exactly what it is.  

After all the criticism that's been (rightly) levied at the recent attempts at the literary Bond, they're most likely bringing this out now because it's probably thought that there's no way that the fan community will criticize a novel that includes prose from Fleming himself.  

Then again, that thought process also assumes that the fans will read it.  There are at least some out there that have surely given up on the literary Bond, myself included amongst them, and it will take more than slapping Fleming's name up on the jacket (again) and a good review or two to get us back.  

#42 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

...and the reason you know all this?

#43 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

...and the reason you know all this?

They did send out advance copies already...

http://www.thebookbo...tion-proof.html

And I'm very certain that ACE was one of the people on the list.

#44 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

Again, thanks for the info. I wasn't doubting him. Just thought perhaps we had an insider on these boards.

Oh yes, that's right, publication date is less than three months away.

#45 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:46 AM

Just thought perhaps we had an insider on these boards.

The opposite. We have people everywhere.

#46 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

Just thought perhaps we had an insider on these boards.

The opposite. We have people everywhere.

Florists use that expression.

Weakest of the three Daniel Craig Bond films it may be, but I still love Quantum Of Solace

#47 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:40 PM

I'm pleased that ACE had a positive response.

I don't need Trigger Mortis to knock it out of the park, but at this stage, even a passable beach read would be a few steps above what we've been getting over the past few decades.

#48 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

I thought Solo started with promise, but then quickly fell away. A consistent read is all I'm asking for. 

#49 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:19 AM

I thought Solo started with promise, but then quickly fell away. A consistent read is all I'm asking for.

Consistently good, hopefully ;)

#50 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:46 AM

Hmmm, maybe I will give it a go.

#51 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

Sounds very positive. I read House of Silk and it was very entertaining; I could believe he'll turn in a very solid Bond novel.

And for God's sake, have Charlie Higson write an adult Bond novel! :)

Yes please! :)

#52 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Again, thanks for the info. I wasn't doubting him. Just thought perhaps we had an insider on these boards.

Oh yes, that's right, publication date is less than three months away.

Sorry, glidrose, I perhaps should have explained, I have been lucky enough to have been able to read a copy
One is bound by an embargo not to reveal details.

I've read all the Bond Continuation novels with eagerness since the mid-Eighties. Of course they have been of varying quality but I guess I like my literary Bond fix in some shape or form. Ever since the Fleming family took back ownership and control of the literary copyright, I think they have raised the bar on how literary Bond is presented. 

The new Bond Continuation novels certainly have a higher profile, better writers and a larger promotional spend and wide-ranging release strategies than they did in the Booker McConnell days.

I really like the writing style Boyd used in Solo but his story meandered a bit. It was my favourite of the recent crop of Adult Bond stories.

I think Horowitz has got the balance right. His Conan Doyle derivations were expertly written and they were good omens for this.

Plus, he geniunely likes Bond and Fleming, something which infuses the work. At the end of the day, it's merely my opinion, but Trigger Mortis (excellent title IMO!), is a really good read.

Oh, and I agree with Marcin and marktmurphy, I think Charlie Higson would write a terrific Adult Bond Continuation novel.

Hopefully the literary Bond fans here will be very pleasantly surprised. I'm eager to hear other people's views.
Optimism and enthusiasm sometimes are rewarded!

#53 Trempo

Trempo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

On the Facebook side of Cross Cult (German publisher of the Bond books) there is the cover data file of the English Trigger Mortis book.

https://www.facebook.com/crosscult

#54 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

'Jeopardy Lane'? Ha!

Although her billing as "a girl like no other Bond has encountered" makes it sound worryingly like that song Lola...

#55 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

I've been known to place my hopes on a good "Ace".  B)

For me, the latest run of continuation novels have been hit or miss. 

CB and Solo stand out. Solo had a personal flavor for myself that I identified with in many respects, and CB felt much like what CR was to the films and even merited two re-reads. 

The title gave me a chuckle as it sounded like a Fleming chapter. I like the pitch and the time frame being set back in the Fleming years as opposed to a follow up. I recently re-read both Colonel Sun and Licence Renewed both with much enjoyment as it had been a while for each.

Fleming is a tough act to follow, so diving between is certainly a fresh take/approach.

Looking forward to it.

#56 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

I'm actually quite looking forward to this. I don't have particularly high expectations - but who knows? It might be one of the better ones. Here's hoping! 

#57 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

Fan Art poster for the launch:

tumblr_nsvik5grgo1rv0z1no1_r1_540.jpg

#58 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

According to the Independent newspaper this morning, there is going to be an audio version of the new book. The headline makes much of the fact that the reader will be the black actor David Oyelowo - "The first black James Bond" is the headline, I think.

Well, if it is an audiobook, as opposed to an adaptation like the Radio 4 plays starring Toby Stephens, then David Oyelowo will not only be playing Bond but every other character as well. But also he won't be the first black actor to have read Bond for an audio book - the "Bond Reloaded" series in 2012 featured Ghanian actor Hugh Quarshie reading the novel Dr No.

What is encouraging is that an award winning actor like David Oyelowo is involved in the Trigger Mortis audio book. I'm looking forward to the novel in print and adding this to my audio book collection.

#59 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

Didn't Patterson Joseph read SOLO for Radio 4?

#60 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Yes he did. Well spotted. Which makes me wonder if this audio version of Trigger Mortis is actually an adaptation? If so, then the Independent headline might be correct - the first black actor to portray Bond as opposed to doing an audio reading of the text.

We'll know one way or another quite soon.