#1 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

"A View To A Kill" (re-watch)

This actually is the only Bond film I went to see not only with my father but also together with my mother and my older sister back then - which might say a lot about how Bond films were considered family entertainment in those days.  I was 16 and I was... well, underwhelmed.  The film felt slow, uneventful, tired.  I did not watch it again for some time, then I tried it on VHS - and it didn´t change my opinion.  I tried it on DVD - still no change.  I tried it again... and I thought it was not as bad as I remembered it.  But still the film remained at the bottom of my list of personal Bond film favorites.

Now, after watching the others in a row, I did feel more entertained than ever.  Say what you will about John Glen - but he surely knows how to construct a film efficiently, using only the necessary images for the right amount of time to convey the story.  And Roger Moore, despite being overtanned in many sequences (hey, now I get it why Daniel Craig is so tanned in the backseat with Vesper - it´s an homage!), still is a fine Bond, and, frankly, all the reviews that point to the many stuntmen overstate that fact IMO.  Moore has to do lots of action scenes, and the use of stuntmen is not as jarring as I had believed it to be.

What I do like about the film very much is the down-to-earth approach, every action sequence is believable and not over the top.  So are Bond´s escapes. And the fight on top of the Golden Gate Bridge is a splendid idea, well done.  John Barry´s score is magnificent. And Grace Jones cuts a striking figure as a female henchman.

The story is told efficiently as well - but one cannot help noticing that it once again is a greatest hits collection.  More of the same.  Still likeable but... one expects more from Bond, a fresher perspective.

As for Christopher Walken...  Make no mistake, I do like him as an actor because of his unusual rhythms and speech patterns.  And he works as Zorin.  But not as well as I thought he could have.  In fact, there are some scenes ("We´ll have to find him") his delivery is even amateurish or at least sluggish.  Sometimes I get the feeling that he even forgot his lines for a moment, pausing just to save the scene.  Either he was not guided enough by the director or he was underestimating the whole enterprise.  I do love, however, his final smile before losing the grip on the bridge and falling down - as if Zorin cannot believe that he actually will lose.

One other thing: I do not think that humor was John Glen´s strength - he always goes for the very broad laugh instead of subtlety.  Or was it the producers who pushed him to do that?  Mostly, AVTAK is a rather serious affair with no big laughs or overbearing one-liners (and no, I do not think that "California Girls" is that bad an idea, enjoying David Lee Roth´s cover version during the 80´s and the fact that the song fits in with Bond visiting California in this film and that it is in line with the musical quotes of "Lawrence of Arabia" or "The Magnificent Seven" in the Gilbert-Moore-Bonds).  But then, as in FYEO, the last scene of AVTAK crams in the "Bond is caught by Q having sex"-joke once again.  I don´t mind the actual idea (or should I say motif) getting another variation - but to have Q drive to Stacy´s house and not just ask her whether Bond´s there but letting his little spy robot enter the house looking for 007... naw, that is a stupid idea that should have been improved on.

Then again, having Sir Roger´s last line as James Bond being "Oh?!" is a lot of tongue-in-cheek.  See what I did there?  (Sorry, still under the influence of that kind of humor, I must be.)

Oh, and a few words about Tanya Roberts...  I know this will cost me credibility but I do not think she is that bad.  The 80´s hair and make-up can be laughed at now - but rest assured, today´s fashion WILL be laughed at just the same in a few years.  Her delivery of the dialogue also is not worse than the achievements of other Bond girls (or other actresses in general who were not trained in this profession but chosen mostly for their beauty).  And since she is saddled with lots of exposition or reacting with panic, she really had a difficult job that few could have done better.

Looking back, I rate the Moore era much more highly now - the re-watch sessions enabled me to lose lots of prejudices against Moore´s films which have been cemented by the press during the last years.  Moore is not a constant joker but approaches the character with more seriousness than I remembered.  And his last three films do contain great moments that rehabilitate them even if the formula grew a bit stale (save "Octopussy"!).  AVTAK, for me, remains on the bottom of the list during his tenure, but only slightly behind FYEO. 

My Moore-Bond list:

1) TSWLM

2) LALD

3) OP

4) TMWTGG

5) MR

6) FYEO

7) AVTAK

#2 Matt Monro

Matt Monro

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'm just curious how FYEO gets ranked below TMWTGG.

#3 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

I'm just curious how FYEO gets ranked below TMWTGG.

I have it ranked lower as well.

John Barry´s score is magnificent.

My favorite aspect of the film, actually. The title song cue when Bond is taking Stacy down the fire ladder is wonderful.

#4 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

I think if you've been following SecretAgentFan's review, FYEO loses points with him for being "not as fun."  

I'd probably switch #4 and #6, here.  FYEO may not be giddy fun, but at least everyone on screen doesn't seem unhappy to be there, as they do in TMWTGG. 

Back on topic, I'm not a big fan of AVTAK for all the reasons usually given.  That said, the poster is spectacular and one of my favorites.  Hey, if you can't say something nice...

Barry's score has some high points, but personally I find the screaming electric guitars intrusive and annoying (and yet another reminder of how "80s youth culture" Roger Moore ISN'T).  The best tracks are probably during the steeple chase and Bond's underwater misadventure at Zorin's offshore facility.

It's not the worst film I've ever seen, and not even my least favorite Bond film.  But it's one of the few I think we'd have been just as well off without, and certainly not the swan song Roger deserved.

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:25 AM

FYEO, in my opinion, lost some points with me because I got the feeling that the story is hacked into a string of action sequences instead of developing the action from a driving plot.  Also, the threat of the ATAC did not become palpable to me.

Still, even my least liked Moore-Bond is still great fun!

#6 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

FYEO is my joint favourite of the lot, next to FRWL.

AVTAK is definitely near the bottom for me.

One thing I have never seen discussed on here is I am fairly certain that there is no need for Bond to leave the cab of the fire truck, except for the sake of the stunt! Can anyone confirm this for me?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#7 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

He tries to keep the police cars from overtaking the fire truck.

#8 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Yes, I think the idea is he can "drive" the back end of the truck from side to side to keep away pursuers.

Plus it's the farthest away he could get from Stacy and still be in the same vehicle.  Be honest, what would YOU do?

#9 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Well, she might make a lousy agent, but the compensations speak for themselves.

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

I'd say that A View to a Kill is one of the more underrated entries.  It's certainly not in the same league as the truly great Bond films, but at the same time, it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the Diamonds are Forever, Die Another Day, and The Man with the Golden Guns of the world.  For me, I'd say that it tends to hover on the outskirts of the Top 10, occasionally, depending on the mood, making an appearance on that list.

#11 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

http://www.denofgeek...-view-to-a-kill

#12 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

I'm totally sympatico with the Den of Geek review.  Love Roger, regret AVTAK.  This passage was particularly spot-on:

Moore joined a phenomenally successful series that seemed yoked to its original star. He left a franchise. Under Moore the number of Bond films doubled. The age of the franchise doubled, from 11 to 23. This was only inevitable in hindsight. A Connery clone would have dropped the ball. Another failed casting could have proved terminal.

This is an important point, wonderfully made.  It's easy to pick apart Roger's tenure and call him "miscast" or what you will, but the truth is he transformed the series from "Connery's gig" into a franchise that could not only weather changes in the lead, but actually take strength from periodic "reboots", soft or otherwise, for if you compare the styles of each actor, that's what each recasting amounted to.

As stated, it is not at all a "given" that just any actor could have done that.  

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Well said and not often enough!

#14 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:23 AM

AVTAK used to be my worst in the franchise. I think it's far from that now. I do feel that the film drops off towards the end though, which is a shame. 

#15 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

I do feel that the film drops off towards the end though

A bit like Zorin!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#16 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

...it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the Diamonds are Forever, Die Another Day, and The Man with the Golden Gun...

Or, as in my opinion, DAF, DAD & TMWTGG don't deserve to be lumped in with AVTAK...

#17 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

#18 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

The GQ guide to James Bond: A View to a Kill 17 August 15

http://www.gq-magazi...ames-bond-guide

#19 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

This morning I was listening to the car radio and heard a rather interesting interview with a Russian broadcaster and radio DJ. He is retired now, but from the mid 1970s onwards broadcast western pop music and "observations" (i.e. criticisms and poking fun) of the then Soviet Union regime.

His introduction said he had a fan base of 25 million across Russia, and he contributed towards undermining the old regime by his BBC World Service broadcasts - Russians would listen to his show aand write to the BBC - one even sent him a message in a bottle - literally!

The gentleman said, during the interview that "The Beatles and Pink Floyd did more to change the government in the USSR than any Prime Ministers here."

What has this got to do with AVTAK? Well, we've all seen this Russian DJ in it. His name is Seva Novgorodtsev, he played the part of the helicopter pilot seen right at the start of the movie searching for Bond in the Arctic wastes, has one line in the movie (which he says they asked him to make up, but say in Russian - it translated as "See if we can find someone down there.")

Movies do sometimes cast exiles for "foreign" roles, but who would have thought that a man in one scene with one line in a Bond film had an influence on the future of his homeland?

#20 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

I love it!  A nice little anecdote.

#21 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

AVTAK

MR

FYEO

TMWTGG

TSWLM

OP

LALD

#22 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:25 AM

It's not a great film but it certainly has its strong points.  I think the main problem is the uninteresting mine sequence which unfortunately goes on for quite awhile.  Moore, despite his age, is actually fitter here than in his last two films but of course looks far too old.  But his performance in the scenes where he faces Zorin outside the Rolls Royce and in Howe's office are very strong.  The song and score are both good too and some of the action sequences are creative, particularly the Golden Gate bridge scene.