http://www.denofgeek...mes-bond-movies

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

Looks a lot like my list, although I'd include The Liquidator, Kiss the Girls and Make them Die and The Second Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World.

#3 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

La femme Nikita, Raiders & the Bourne identity feel like they got their inspiration somewhere else.

Raiders was clearly based upon those brilliant serials of the late thirties and forties in cinema that told fantastic tales and brilliant stunts, Spielberg & Lucas admitted that this was the birth ground of Indiana Jones. At no point does the series feel like anything close to the 007 franchise

La femme Nikita is more an protest against the state and how it has the power to sanction their own people and use them like a puppet on a string. Nothing Bondian about the movie at all.

The Bourne identity and its sequels are also very little like 007 as it is the secret services that decide to turn on their own super agent because he does not react as they expect him to do, it is also more about the power of the government and how one created agent can turn the tables on them. the movies also carry an anti-state sanctioned message, and it did influence the Bond-movies in their style more than the other way around.

#4 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Raiders was clearly based upon those brilliant serials of the late thirties and forties in cinema that told fantastic tales and brilliant stunts, Spielberg & Lucas admitted that this was the birth ground of Indiana Jones. At no point does the series feel like anything close to the 007 franchise

I've always seen Indy as the American Bond, since Spielberg wanted to direct a Bond film before George introduced him to the idea for Raiders.

#5 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

I've always seen Indy as the American Bond, since Spielberg wanted to direct a Bond film before George introduced him to the idea for Raiders.

As I still am a great fan of the old serial, which also contained the various superhero franchises, I never saw Doctor Jones as the US Bond since that part is clearly taken by Ethan Hunt. Jones was so clearly an adventurer working in a field that was quite magical before the world became a bigger place. The Jones movies are all a big adventure based upon a piece of history that lies in our mythical past it does not get any different. And Lucas & Spielberg have always declared their love for the movie serials and stated that Jones was always rooted in that lore, having seen the Zorro serials they do contain some of the great stunts from Raiders of the lost Ark. [that said, the newer Zorro movies both have more roots in the fun and adventure of the serial Zorro than anything else]

#6 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

As I still am a great fan of the old serial, which also contained the various superhero franchises, I never saw Doctor Jones as the US Bond since that part is clearly taken by Ethan Hunt. Jones was so clearly an adventurer working in a field that was quite magical before the world became a bigger place. The Jones movies are all a big adventure based upon a piece of history that lies in our mythical past it does not get any different. And Lucas & Spielberg have always declared their love for the movie serials and stated that Jones was always rooted in that lore, having seen the Zorro serials they do contain some of the great stunts from Raiders of the lost Ark. [that said, the newer Zorro movies both have more roots in the fun and adventure of the serial Zorro than anything else]

True. But I've always thought that it was painfully obvious where the inspiration came from when Connery was cast in Last Crusade.

#7 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

True. But I've always thought that it was painfully obvious where the inspiration came from when Connery was cast in Last Crusade.

If you have somebody like Connery in your franchise you are bound to run into comparisons but I found the movie was very careful with going the exact opposite of the 007 character in such an extent that he disproved of Indy's antics and violence. Doctor Jones solution for getting rid of an airplane shooting at them was an umbrella after all and as for fighting he was not worth anything physically.

An extra star like Connery does get the punters in the seats but for me he was nothing like his 007 character and they did not do anything 007 either, they might have given Dan Brown some ideas however.