The Daily Mail Historical Online Archive

3 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

I am looking for someone who can help me access James Bond articles from the Daily Mail newspaper.  An online archive has been created but is not available to the general public.  Many Universities do have access and so my thought is something could be worked out where I could pay a person to print off copies of said articles.  I have a number of article dates but some searching would be desirable. 

It appears one has to have a pass code to sign into the archive.

Perhaps a trade of materials could happen.  I am interested in downsizing my Bond archive and do have some duplications in my collection. 

I reside in Idaho, USA and it might be easier if the contact was located here in the States.

#2 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

I would have thought that the Daily Mail archive for Bond related stories is the last place anyone would want to look, that is if you are after facts, as I understand that they have made up (or filched and exaggerated items from other papers) their stories.  The recent story of Sir Roger trying to amass all the 007s for a film and of course the infamous interview with the Mail that was published but never happened are two "stories" that come to mind.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hurrah for the Blackshirts.

Seem to recall that one.

#4 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Probably wasting my time here but an example of the material I'm after is a February 8, 1964 article where Barry Norman interviews Sean Connery.  "My terms for staying....by 007 James Bond" which details a script meeting between Connery and producer Cubby Broccoli, pre GOLDFINGER.  A September 27, 1968 article tells about some talks between Connery and the producers for ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.   Monday April 12, 1971 article about age and money for DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.  I get what your saying about tabloids but, for some reason, Universities feel the material is worthwhile to offer in their libraries.