11 replies to this topic

#1 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi All!

I'm off to Berlin for a few days soon and wondered if anyone knew of any suitable "Bondian" things to do or see whilst I'm there.  Obviously there's Check-Point Charlie (Octopussy) and there's what looks to be a really cool Ken Adam exhibition on.  Anything else?

Any suggestions welcome...

#2 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

There's a cafe right at checkpoint Charlie that is very Bondian. Should you find it, you might just run into the old octopus cult....

#3 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:15 AM

Last time I was there, there was a hairdresser's called "Hairpoint Charlie"!

Enjoy Berlin - I love the atmosphere of the place, especially the street food and music.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#4 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Guys! 

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

Not exactly 'Bondian' as such, but an impressive example of modern architecture and spectacular in its own right: the Reichstag building with the glass dome. You get a 360-degree view of Berlin and can watch the parliament down below. It's open for visitors and you merely have to show ID, no admission (at least not that I remember). When you're in Berlin you should visit this unique site.

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

Not at all Bondian, but if you're interested in things WWII, there is a subterranean group that look at all things underground created for and during the War.

I visited the insides of one of the three main defence towers that tri-pointed Berlin and 'saved' it from air attack.  In the grand scheme of things though, the lights used to search for the attackers essentially pin pointed the dead centre of Berlin.

The structures however are thoroughly impressive and mammoth.

http://berliner-unte...our-2.14.1.html

#7 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

Great stuff - thanks!

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

The Ken Adam exhibition is a must, even though it's not very big. But they are very strict with the "no photos" policy. If you're interested in movie history, the rest of the museum should be interesting, too. Some interesting stuff in the museum shop - take some extra money...

If you're really keen on Bond locations, you might take the effort and go out to Grunewald and see the Autobahn exit "Hüttenweg", where parts of the OP car chase were shot (details here). But beware: there's nothing else around there, it's more or less in the middle of the forrest. If you're a racing fan: this is part of the old AVUS race track. Even more outside of town (but in the same direction is the Glienicke Bridge, the famous "Bridge of Spies", were East and West used to exchange their captured spies. 

Kurfürstendamm served as a backdrop on the way to Checkpoint Charlie (even though it's miles away), but you'll certainly get there, anyway.

The Worldtime Clock on Alexanderplatz was a location for The Bourne Supremacy, and you may want to visit the TV tower , which there, too.

#9 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:54 AM

Oh yes, great suggestion - there is an excellent revolving restaurant at the top of the TV Tower - make sure you have a proper German beer with your lunch!

I recommend one of the Hefe Weizenbiers!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#10 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

Also, pretty much anything in the tiergarten is going to be fun. The German Memorial to the Murdered Jews in the Holocaust is also very haunting. I'd recommend that. I believe you'll love most everything about Berlin. So much (especially 20th century) history. I can't wait to go back.

#11 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

The Ken Adam exhibition is a must, even though it's not very big. But they are very strict with the "no photos" policy. If you're interested in movie history, the rest of the museum should be interesting, too. Some interesting stuff in the museum shop - take some extra money...

If you're really keen on Bond locations, you might take the effort and go out to Grunewald and see the Autobahn exit "Hüttenweg", where parts of the OP car chase were shot (details here). But beware: there's nothing else around there, it's more or less in the middle of the forrest. If you're a racing fan: this is part of the old AVUS race track. Even more outside of town (but in the same direction is the Glienicke Bridge, the famous "Bridge of Spies", were East and West used to exchange their captured spies. 

Kurfürstendamm served as a backdrop on the way to Checkpoint Charlie (even though it's miles away), but you'll certainly get there, anyway.

The Worldtime Clock on Alexanderplatz was a location for The Bourne Supremacy, and you may want to visit the TV tower , which there, too.

The Film Museum was fantastic, and yes, the Ken Adam exhibition was fairly small but well worth it! 

#12 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

Stick with Stromberg. He'll join you for a pint if his schedule allows...and believe me, there's no better man to have pint (or six) with. Enjoy your trip,  B)