82 replies to this topic

#31 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

As larrythefatcat mentioned, Pascal is to co-produce the new Spiderman films and work alongside Marvel to involve Spidey in the Marvel Cinematic Universe - possibly as early as Captain America: Civil War.

Doesn't sound like saving face or a consolation prize to me

#32 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

If anyone is referring to comments like mine when talking about "spoilers" and such, they just need to grow up and get over it.

'Grow up'...!   Well surely that's a 2-way street.

On another note, Pascal's indeed now the Sony face of the Sony/MCU, lead by the Spiderman.

It's hard to say if that's a demotion, or promotion. I'm guessing that it was more a timely sideways vacancy.

The Sony board won't care what she said in an email - they're only difficulty is that she got caught (through no fault of her own). What Sony care about is that she's proven she can work with another studio to produce global box office hits with Bond. With their new MCU venture they'll sleep better knowing she's steering that ship, hoping that Bond is heading in a direction they agree with for forceable future. Unless of course Pascal's successor turns out to be a dick when handed the keys to the Ferrari (sorry, suppose i should make that the Aston Martin).

So it's up for debate whether she'd have been moved onto the MCU cash-cow even if her emails hadn't  been hacked.

As crazy theories go, here's one that springs to mind: It's possible Sony wanted her heading up MCU, but Pascal didn't want to leave the Bond franchise after all her hard work. Also Sony didn't want to alienate Eon by removing her, so they leaked the emails in order to move her.... Sounds like a big gamble just to move Pascal, but Pascal could be just a small element in the big picture. Sony has certainly made a bucket load from the leak - the movie The Interview would've no doubt bombed, instead of the global MSN phenomenon it's become. The hack also played well for those in political office who may have wanted to up the anti-North Korean agenda, approaching Sony with this 'opportunity to serve their country' (and receive a tax break) in the first place.

Of course the 'inside job theory' is just a crazy aside worthy of a low-budget BBC2 conspiracy drama, but there's certainly plenty of motive to make such a script plausible ;)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 10 February 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

The email leaks were not intentional.  There is no way that a company would intentionally give itself that kind of bad press and open itself up to the lawsuits that it's going to face moving forward just so that they could put Amy Pascal in charge of something that she, technically, would have already have been in charge of in her previous role as head of the entire studio.

#34 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

As larrythefatcat mentioned, Pascal is to co-produce the new Spiderman films and work alongside Marvel to involve Spidey in the Marvel Cinematic Universe - possibly as early as Captain America: Civil War.

... but Kevin Feige (Marvel) will actually produce - and Amy may say one or two things... and then be reminded that she is responsible for all the choices in the failed re-boot.

#35 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

... but Kevin Feige (Marvel) will actually produce - and Amy may say one or two things... and then be reminded that she is responsible for all the choices in the failed re-boot.

If that's the case, then she's got a cushy job - She's being paid a lot for doing very little - and if the new Spiderman films are a success, then she'll get a good share of the credit.

#36 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

Ummm, I would be very interested to know about how profits actually will be divided between Sony and Marvel... and how much any above the line player will pocket.

But one should not fear Amy Pascal going broke anytime soon - she will have gotten a golden parachute already.  And she IS liked within Hollywood by enough people, so she will return.  Maybe not within SONY but she will be courted heavily by other studios.

#37 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

Ummm, I would be very interested to know about how profits actually will be divided between Sony and Marvel... and how much any above the line player will pocket.

But one should not fear Amy Pascal going broke anytime soon - she will have gotten a golden parachute already.  And she IS liked within Hollywood by enough people, so she will return.  Maybe not within SONY but she will be courted heavily by other studios.

Pascal is staying with Sony.  She is setting up her own production company within the studio.

#38 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Sony still own the rights to Spiderman, that hasn't changed, the agreement allows Marvel to use him in their films and for Kevin Feige to co-produce. But the rights to Spiderman are still Sony's.

#39 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

The email leaks were not intentional.  There is no way that a company would intentionally give itself that kind of bad press and open itself up to the lawsuits that it's going to face moving forward just so that they could put Amy Pascal in charge of something that she, technically, would have already have been in charge of in her previous role as head of the entire studio.

You didn't read my whole post, did you?  No probs, i know i can be a bore to read sometimes. I wasn't saying it was all for Pascal, but that having an excuse to relocate her may have benn very convenient collateral damage.

And besides, it was just a hokey script-balling notion - i'm not suggesting this was what really happened  :D

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 10 February 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#40 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

According to Variety:-

While Sonys’ Pascal was unsure at the time in her email exchanges with Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad, both wound up agreeing that the result at the box office would be too hard to pass up — especially with a deal that will enable Sony to collect more than 60% of the ticket sales.

http://variety.com/2...man-1201429540/

#41 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

If anyone is referring to comments like mine when talking about "spoilers" and such, they just need to grow up and get over it. There is one potential spoiler referenced in this thread and, since I haven't cracked the code, I imagine it takes a fair bit of serious thought to suss it out!

The Sony leak is definitely something that seems to have a close connection to this topic, so I don't see why it wouldn't be brought up by at least every third poster in this thread. I agree that spoilers are, however, unacceptable.

Repeating what the mods have said before, all sorts of very nasty legal reasons exist why we shouldn't discuss the Sony leaks. And I say that as somebody who did in this very thread - and for good reason I still believe. Where do we draw the line? If we acknowledge the leaks, then someone - myself, say - will mention non-controversial parts of the leaks. Then somebody may fly off the handle because he didn't get his morning kibbles the way he so desires (*cough* Double Naught spy *cough* - and what's with the undercase *spy*, I ask you?). Before you know it leaks-related spoilers find their way into spoiler threads, and as always happens, spoilers spill over into non-spoiler threads. Our resident spoilerphobes will be in a spiffy miff once they learn that SP ends with Bond singing karaoke at the International House of Pancakes, fade to gun barrel logo. No Bond, no blood this time either. A question mark instead appears. (How do those spoiler tags work again?) And before you know it, the lion will lay down with the lamb tossers will sign up asking if someone can PM them the script, emails, script breakdowns, email addresses, etc. Sure enough, somebody will likely do just that. Before you know it, somebody's posting a link to the various sites where the scripts, emails, etc. can be found. I dunno, but I don't think the mods want it getting that far. I'm sure they've got their own lives to tend to. They don't necessarily want to nursemaid us young 'uns every step of the way. It may also mean that their venerable (and venereal) mod status may possibly incur more responsibility and potential liability for any misdeeds us young (and not so young) 'uns do. Hell, on top of this everybody and his uncle and his uncle before him expects Jim to do a "Seventh Chapter" ™ for every single Gardner and Benson. Rumor has it this torture-of-the-damned was in an expurgated and-now-believed-lost chapter from Dante's Inferno. Or the Old Testament when he who shall not be named was in one of his moods.

Or, the mods can issue a strict no-leaks-discussion policy and judge exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

hoping that Bond is heading in a direction they agree with for forceable future. Unless of course Pascal's successor turns out to be a dick when handed the keys to the Ferrari (sorry, suppose i should make that the Aston Martin).

Except that Sony is no longer part of the Bond universe. If you'd read the entire thread, you'd know that Sony's contract with MGM now expires.

And no, I don't think it was a conspiracy as you suggest. Possibly the work of a disgruntled insider or the Russians, not necessarily the North Koreans. But, alas - or thankfully - these are not computer hacking fora so we need not discuss the possibilities and motives.

#42 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

Our own TDalton will be in another spiffy miff if he learns that SP ends with a 
Spoiler

It's nice to know that simply asking, politely I might add, for spoilers to be discussed in the spoiler section of the forum amounts to having a "spiffy miff".

Edited by Dustin, 13 February 2015 - 07:02 AM.
Quoted post edited for educational reasons

#43 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

It's nice to know that simply asking, politely I might add, for spoilers to be discussed in the spoiler section of the forum amounts to having a "spiffy miff".

Don't take it personally. I liked the euphonious phrase "spiffy miff" and grabbed your name at random.

#44 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Our own TDalton will be in another spiffy miff if he learns that SP ends with a badly hobbled Bond captured, presumably being prepped for brainwashing, fade to gun barrel logo. No Bond, instead a question mark appears. No blood this time either. (How do those spoiler tags work again?) 

Err... Not sure if that's a joke, or a real spoiler. If the latter, then can the mods please get rid of this idiot, or is it best the rest of us whom wish not to be spoiled (too late now, perhaps) stay away from CBN until we've seen the movie.

I know it's hard to prevent such stupidity, but once it's apparent it needs a hasty remedy from the mods.

Note: if that's not a spoiler and merely sarcasm, then my humble apologies for wrongly calling you an idiot, gildrose (you see i'm not reading the whole post incase there's more spoilers)

#45 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

Our own TDalton will be in another spiffy miff if he learns that SP ends with 
Spoiler

Err... Not sure if that's a joke, or a real spoiler. If the latter, then can the mods please get rid of this idiot, or is it best the rest of us whom wish not to be spoiled (too late now, perhaps) stay away from CBN until we've seen the movie.

I know it's hard to prevent such stupidity, but once it's apparent it needs a hasty remedy from the mods.

Note: if that's not a spoiler and merely sarcasm, then my humble apologies for wrongly calling you an idiot, gildrose (you see i'm not reading the whole post incase there's more spoilers)

I think that post was tongue firmly stuck in cheek, nothing more.

#46 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

There is reason to assume the parts in question aren't meant entirely, 100 per cent seriously. Still, I would vastly prefer if I didn't have to sort out the actual spoilers and the imagined ones.

#47 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

If tongue was in cheek, then my sincerest apologies. Hopefully that's the case.

And yes, we do have to stamp on this spoiler thing. There's a very clear line between spoiling material that's already been officially released and that which has not.

#48 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:40 PM

And yes, we do have to stamp on this spoiler thing. There's a very clear line between spoiling material that's already been officially released and that which has not.

Agreed.

It's disappointing, as Dustin already said in this thread, that there are some that don't understand (and some that don't care) that there are fans on the forum that don't want to see spoilers posted in areas of the forum where they're strictly forbidden.

Edited by tdalton, 11 February 2015 - 02:52 AM.

#49 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

Amy Pascal speaks about the Sony leaks

(no spoilers)

She also confirms in her discussion of what happened that she was fired as co-chair of Sony.

#50 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Our own TDalton will be in another spiffy miff if he learns that SP ends with a badly hobbled Bond captured, presumably being prepped for brainwashing, fade to gun barrel logo. No Bond, instead a question mark appears. No blood this time either. (How do those spoiler tags work again?) 

Thanks for changing your post - the new content made me chuckle  :)

#51 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

So, ex-Fox head Tom Rothman is now in charge of Bond via Sony....

The guys got a rep for being dictatorial - his heavy handed tactics gave us the appalling X Men Origins: Wolverine (not the very good sequel, but the first one, which really sucked).

Apparently he's also a big fan of crushing budgets and having everything done cheap as chips. He'll run it into the ground and then jump ship/get fired as usual.

In the linked story they point out: 'Fox's output has been stronger since his exit'

This may well go down in history as a bad day for Bond fans.

#52 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

But Sony's Bond-contract expires with SPECTRE. Of course, if MGM chooses to extend/renew it...

#53 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

But Sony's Bond-contract expires with SPECTRE. Of course, if MGM chooses to extend/renew it...

The smart money says they won't, but this is  the movie business...

#54 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

Since MGM by now is pretty much nothing but Bond any more I suppose they will look long and hard at any potential partners...

#55 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

Wouldn't it be funny if Eon went over to Marvel?  Highly unlikely, but funny :)

Then again, Feige obviously likes to, and knows how to attract genuinely talented directors and lets them get on with it, so as unlikely as it seems, Eon could do far worse (so long as they don't try and merge universes ;)  )

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 25 February 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#56 Admiral Messervey

Admiral Messervey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Well her and most of all Avi Arad who's now reduced to a "In Name Only" type of Executive Producer (since he was reponsible for foisting Venom on Sam Raimi plus his constant interference with TASM and ASM2)

So, ex-Fox head Tom Rothman is now in charge of Bond via Sony....

The guys got a rep for being dictatorial - his heavy handed tactics gave us the appalling X Men Origins: Wolverine (not the very good sequel, but the first one, which really sucked).

Apparently he's also a big fan of crushing budgets and having everything done cheap as chips. He'll run it into the ground and then jump ship/get fired as usual.

In the linked story they point out: 'Fox's output has been stronger since his exit'

This may well go down in history as a bad day for Bond fans.

$#!@  :blink:  :angry:  :sad:

Since MGM by now is pretty much nothing but Bond any more I suppose they will look long and hard at any potential partners...

The Curse of Heaven's Gate

#57 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

"Funny"? I'm outta here if this happens. 

If you mix a glass of wine into a barrel of slurry, the result is slurry. If you mix glass of slurry into a barrel of wine, the result is - equally - slurry.

#58 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

If you mix a glass of wine into a barrel of slurry, the result is slurry. If you mix glass of slurry into a barrel of wine, the result is - equally - slurry.

I would be as well.  I'd almost rather they be under the direction of Disney itself rather than its subsidiary Marvel.  The only way such a move would turn out to be anything resembling tolerable is if Robert Downey Jr. appeared in every Bond film, since his films are the only ones under the Marvel banner that are worth watching.

#59 Admiral Messervey

Admiral Messervey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

I would be as well.  I'd almost rather they be under the direction of Disney itself rather than its subsidiary Marvel.  The only way such a move would turn out to be anything resembling tolerable is if Robert Downey Jr. appeared in every Bond film, since his films are the only ones under the Marvel banner that are worth watching.

Or a cameo that'll wind up either one film or on the cutting room floor (see DAF's Sammy Davis Jr. cameo)

#60 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

No, i don't want Marvel to host Bond business either. But Feige made some inspired moves by hiring Jos Whedon, James Gunn (wayyyy off the big time radar), the Russo Bros. and best of all Shane Black.