This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Soundtrack by Thomas Newman

473 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you disappointed that Thomas Newman is back?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Are you happy that Thomas Newman has returned?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#451 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

The benefit of never dwelling on the SF soundtrack is that I don't recognize these re-used cues. They sound perfectly well-suited for the scenes they're in.

#452 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:21 AM

While rewatching SPECTRE a fourth time, I noticed a lot of music not on the CD.  For example, there's more music in the PTS when Bond starts prevailing on the helicopter.  Also, and this was the best use of Newman using cues from Skyfall, he rescored the "Quartermaster" theme from Skyfall while Bond was in the torture chair trying to activate the watch Q gave him.  Perfect.

Some other cues that weren't included:
-The gunbarrel (which is not recycled from Skyfall, but a new recording).

-The full version of Los muertos vivos están.
-The Bond theme that kicks in when Bond stabilizes the helicopter. In the film, this segues into Writing's on the Wall.
-The reprise of Writing's on the Wall from the train scene.

Edited by mattjoes, 30 November 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#453 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:19 AM

While rewatching SPECTRE a fourth time, I noticed a lot of music not on the CD.  For example, there's more music in the PTS when Bond starts prevailing on the helicopter. 

Also, when Bond chases after Sciarra I'm sure a rendition of Backfire is played.

#454 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

While rewatching SPECTRE a fourth time, I noticed a lot of music not on the CD.  For example, there's more music in the PTS when Bond starts prevailing on the helicopter.  Also, and this was the best use of Newman using cues from Skyfall, he rescored the "Quartermaster" theme from Skyfall while Bond was in the torture chair trying to activate the watch Q gave him.  Perfect.

Some other cues that weren't included:
-The gunbarrel (which is not recycled from Skyfall, but a new recording).

-The full version of Los muertos vivos están.
-The Bond theme that kicks in when Bond stabilizes the helicopter. In the film, this segues into Writing's on the Wall.
-The reprise of Writing's on the Wall from the train scene.

Yeah, I don't know why we didn't get the full version of Los Muertos Vivos Estan. After hearing it in the movie I was really looking forward to listening to it on the soundtrack. Instead, I was extremely disappointed to hear we got a very truncated version of it. In fact, there's a lot of stuff missing from the soundtrack either in part or in full.

Even though Thomas Newman repeated stuff from Skyfall (I would have much rather had him come up with something new), some of the stuff he repeated still sounds good and I would have liked to have heard some of it again in the soundtrack like the music in the helicopter fight or escaping from Blofeld's lair. Alas, it is not to be.

Regardless, I hope we get a new composer for Bond 25.

#455 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

I find it so strange how Newman reused a good portion of 'Grand Bazaar' for the Helicopter Fight but somehow went out of his way to re-record the Bond theme that comes in at exactly the same time as it does in Skyfall...

#456 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

It could be a result of a very confusing post-production schedule, with lots of re-edits.

#457 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

I find it so strange how Newman reused a good portion of 'Grand Bazaar' for the Helicopter Fight but somehow went out of his way to re-record the Bond theme that comes in at exactly the same time as it does in Skyfall...

It's all re-recorded, I think.

But that definitively new "Bond theme" edit you mention really pleased me in SPECTRE. Always felt those shots hit very impotently when Bond landed on the train in Skyfall. The ones that hit when Bond pulls the helicopter out of the dive in SPECTRE are pitch perfect with a real dose of classic Bondian testosterone behind them. Almost seems like a prior reservation consciously corrected.  

#458 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

I am really enjoying "L'American" and "Westminster Bridge" at the moment - playing them alot.

#459 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

It's all re-recorded, I think.

But that definitively new "Bond theme" edit you mention really pleased me in SPECTRE. Always felt those shots hit very impotently when Bond landed on the train in Skyfall. The ones that hit when Bond pulls the helicopter out of the dive in SPECTRE are pitch perfect with a real dose of classic Bondian testosterone behind them. Almost seems like a prior reservation consciously corrected.  

Ditto the Bond theme played when the helicopters arrive at Silva's island.  Yet, none of those themes are on either CD (and I have a 2 CD Skyfall expanded score, and it's not on that either.) :angry:

#460 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

While it certainly is easy to criticize Newman for recycling some of his SKYFALL material, I dare say that he did so with an eye for improvement.

SPECTRE is clearly the stronger score in my opinion. It is clearly the stronger Bond score. The SPECTRE soundtrack has a lyrical quality that begs me to return for another listen more so than the SKYFALL soundtrack ever has. 

Now where is that vinyl LP release of SPECTRE?  :sad:

#461 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

One should note how much and how often Newman states in interviews that Sam Mendes is extremely involved in creating the score, driving him to rescore again and again.

I get the feeling that Newman has to deliver exactly what Mendes wants - no less.

#462 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:43 AM

I am really enjoying the SPECTRE and Skyfall soundtracks at the moment.

But I think SPECTRE is better.

I love Madeline, Donna Lucia, L'American, Secret Room (especially the last 45 seconds - wonderful), Backfire, Snowplane, Eternal City and the End Titles.

#463 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:16 AM

Finally! I have been asking for this! My wish has been granted!

http://www.amazon.co...oundtrack vinyl

http://www.amazon.co...oundtrack vinyl

Edited by Solex Agitator, 04 March 2016 - 03:17 AM.

#464 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

Strangely, I´ve returned to playing the SPECTRE score pretty often.

I still discover how subtly Thomas Newman orchestrates his music to find correllations to the action on screen.  Brilliant stuff.

#465 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

I'm itching for a complete score to show up. There wasn't a lot left out of the official release, but definitely some very interesting bits (PTS climax, Q's lab, the first meeting with Madeleine, etc.)

#466 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

The haunting piano bit at the end of Spectre (end title) has to be one of the best Bond themes ever made. I would love to hear it again in Bond 25 if Craig, Madeleine and Blofeld are to return.

Edited by Walecs, 06 March 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#467 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

The haunting piano bit at the end of Spectre (end title) has to be one of the best Bond themes ever made. I would love to hear it again in Bond 25 if Craig, Madeleine and Blofeld are to return.

Yes, it's beautiful. I also like the end of Secret Room - could happily play that on a loop for a minute or so!

#468 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:52 AM

Silver Wraith and Madeleine are two of the best pieces of Bond music to come out in recent times. It really is a good score, which I think works outside and inside the context of the film. 

#469 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:23 AM

Silver Wraith and Madeleine are two of the best pieces of Bond music to come out in recent times. It really is a good score, which I think works outside and inside the context of the film. 

Yeah. I love it.

My favourites tracks are now:-

Los Muertos Vivos Estan

Vauxhall Bridge

Eternal City

Donna Lucia

Backfire

Madeleine

Snow Plane

L'Americain

Secret Room

Writings on the Wall - Instrumental

Silver Wraith

Westminster Bridge

Out of Bullrets

End Title

#470 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

^That's an excellent list. I'd swap "Out of Bullets" for "Detonation", perhaps.

#471 mr.kidd

mr.kidd

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:50 PM

I'm itching for a complete score to show up. There wasn't a lot left out of the official release, but definitely some very interesting bits (PTS climax, Q's lab, the first meeting with Madeleine, etc.)

I agree with you on this one. It's too bad they can't just do a bang up job of giving us the complete score at the beginning , as opposed to going back and trying to fill in the missing cues. I hope for this score they will expand it as it had some very good subtle moments that added to a score that was for once melodic and atmospheric. I won't hold my breath though so if anyone knows of an expanded version already out there let me know.

#472 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

I want the cue from Q's lab, badly.

Q's cue. ;)

#473 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:39 AM

I just recently searched SPECTRE 2CD on eBay.  Still no returns on the search.  :(

#474 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

I want the cue from Q's lab, badly.

Q's cue. ;)

So do I. So far it's the only cue from SPECTRE I don't have on my PC.