Nightfire gunbarrel sequence?

14 replies to this topic

#1 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:33 PM

I've been lurking around here for quite a while, and I decided to come and say hi.

Does Nightfire have the gunbarrel sequence at the beginning, or is it just like AUF showing an opening cutscene? (The AUF opening cutscene would have been perfect taking place after the gunbarrel!)

I remember seeing that Goldeneye had its own gunbarrel sequence, and I was sort of disappointed that AUF didn't have its own one. It didn't really detract from the game, it just would have been good to add a more Bondish feel to the beginning rather than just showing a helicopter landing...

#2 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 09:03 PM

Yes, this question wanders around in my mind for some weeks, too.
I live in Germany, so I have to wait for NF until November 29th, but:
could anyone post the music of the gunbarrel sequence here?

PS: There IS a gunbarrel sequence in NF which revealed the NF interview at CBn some weeks ago.

#3 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 11:36 PM

AUF could've really used one. Quite surprising that they went to so much effort to make it like a Bond film, yet didn't use the gunbarrel (or, half of it, anyway) until the closing credits!

The good news is that NF has the best gunbarrel sequence of any Bond game.

It plays as part of the cutscene every time you play the first level, rather than just appearing when you first turn the game on (it's been a while, but wasn't that the way GE's sequence did?).

It's also very cinematic, with the gunbarrel opening up to reveal the Eiffel Tower, 5 minutes to midnight on New Year's Eve.

#4 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 11:40 PM

Sounds great, but what about the music? How does it sound?

#5 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 12:17 AM

No special music there. Its pretty standard, like in the early Connery movies where it was all the same - except for Dr. No with those annoying beeps.

#6 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 09:41 AM

The gunbarrel appears on every level? That's great!

A gunbarrel sequence would have been perfect for AUF on the first level, opening to reveal the helicopter landing.

I don't think a theme song would have suited it, but perhaps an instrumental.

#7 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 12:02 PM

It doesn't appear before EVERY level, just before the first level.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 05:30 PM

I think it would be interesting to have a gunbarrel before every level...but I'm not going to complain about a good thing. Does NF have the dockets ike GE, or does it have a voice over? What are the 'grades' one can get? (Secret agent, 00 agent...?)

#9 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 05:45 PM

The different dificulty levels are operative, agent and 00 agent. the game does have voice overs.

#10 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 01:46 PM

also, there seems to be a "theme song" kind of thing too, the song was horrible, however

anyone else see this

(no, I don't own it, I was playing it at a friends house)

#11 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 03:33 PM

Yes, the game does have a theme song, after the first level, I believe. I didn't mind it that much, although it sounded like they had decided to let Britney Spears do a Bond song.

#12 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 04:57 PM

I liked the theme song, and the titles sequence is also well done. It works very well in its brief version (a longer version repeats over the credits), and really adds to the Bond flavor of the game.

It doesn't remind me of a Britney Spears' song- with one of her annoying, erratic dance beats. (Although, the vocalist does remind me of Sheryl Crow/Gwen Stefani the way that she delivers a few of the early lines.)

It just sounds like they went for something that could actually end up as a Bond theme in the current state of pop music.

#13 aztec07

aztec07

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:47 PM

I got the game for GameCube and it's awesome. The graphics are outstanding, the sound is awesome, it never slows down, tha multiplayer is sweet and it has all the Bond elements.
It has a small music video/Title Sequence with a title song called "Nearly Civilized" performed by Esthero.
It has a Gun Barrel Sequence for Mission 1 [Paris Prelude]. The music sounds alot like Tomorrow Never Dies gun barrel sequence. Really well done.
Well, the game has it's ups and downs but above all it's the best Bond game since GoldenEye that's for sure.

#14 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:55 PM

Esthero? I did a search for her on the internet, and she released an album called Breath from Another. Is that her?

#15 aztec07

aztec07

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 09:26 PM

Yup that's the group. If you go to this site it shows little more info:
http://listen.to/esthero
If you go to Options menu in NightFire, you will find the game's Credits. Watch the first 30 seconds and it will show the name of the song and the perfomer, esthero. I think the song is really good. I have the intro-video/song downloaded on my computer, if you have msn messenger i'll give it to you, just give me your email, i'll add you to my msn and i'll give you it. :):)