This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What if SPECTRE had continued post Connery?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

I don't know if a thread about this exists somewhere in the vaults, but supposing the Eon/McClory business hadn't happened or had been settled without the prohibition preventing the official series from using Blofeld and SPECTRE? I only wonder because of course SPECTRE has become the flavour of the month in Bond villainy, right down to the new film's title.

Which films post DAF might have used SPECTRE or referenced it? My own thoughts below.

LALD - unlikely, coming straight after Blofeld's presumed demise in DAF. But, in the book Mr Big worked for a larger organisation, Smersh, so who knows?

TMWTGG - again, unlikely, though SPECTRE could have been referenced as having hired Scaramanga in the past.

TSWLM - if SPECTRE had been available the film might have been different, from what I've read over the years. But even if the basic plot had been the same, I could picture this as being Blofeld's comeback movie. Whether this master criminal would have been interested in creating an undersea civilisation, rather than the usual blackmail routine is debatable.

MR - too soon after TSWLM, and I don't think creating a new "master race" would have interested ESB.

FYEO - well, he was in the PTC but nobody mentioned his name - like Basil Fawlty trying not to mention the war in Fawlty Towers. But this film is often compared with FRWL in plot. Might we have seen SPECTRE agent Kristatos attempting to obtain the ATAC for Number 1 to sell to the Soviets? And Bond barking up the wrong tree for a while, thinking "The Dove" was really working for The Octopus? Speaking of which;

OP - adding Blofeld's organisation to this film would have complicated an already complicated plot. I think this would have stayed pretty much the same.

NSNA - would this have been made? Possibly, if only for an alternative take on Bond and Blofeld.

AVTAK - as with OP, I don't think this would have leant itself to a SPECTRE association. Zorin was the 1980s answer to Goldfinger in his plans. Russian links aside - which he broke anyway - Zorin was his own boss, and I don't see this as a Bond-v-SPECTRE movie.

TLD - I have the same view on this as OP - strictly a spy-v-spy Cold War movie and adding another layer of villainy would have over egged the pudding. That said, Brad Whitaker was set up in business through "various criminal organisations". SPECTRE could have been referenced in passing.

LTK - I read somewhere that the script at one point included an appearance by General Pushkin. To what end I don't know. I see this as a personal revenge movie in which the bad guy happens to be a Latin American drug lord. I think it would have stayed the same.

GE - after a six year hiatus - suppose SPECTRE had apparently vanished, and Blofeld really had died - but then the organisation suddenly reformed in post Cold War Russia? And was headed now by a former Double-0 agent? Just a thought.

TND - pretty much as the finished film.

TWINE - as with OP and TLD, would have overcomplicated things.

DAD - strictly Bond versus N. Korean bad guys. Again I don't think that organisation would have played a part.

CR/QoS - Quantum would have been unnecessary.

SF - I think Silva was a lone operator with a personal agenda. SPECTRE could have been referenced but not included as part of the plot.

In the series up to 2002, I think we might have seen the last of SPECTRE in GE, unless the films following were somewhat different from what actually was produced.

Well, those are my thoughts.

#2 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Wasn't Blofeld supposed to be in TSWLM in place of Stromberg? That might have been the last movie featuring SPECTRE had EON been able to use Blofeld in 1977.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

To answer coco1997, as I understand it Blofeld, or according some accounts a character named "Stavros" was supposed to have been the villain in TSWLM, and SPECTRE was to have been involved. However, by 1976, when filming started the 10 year prohibition on Kevin McClory making his own Bond films, and the exclusion of Eon from using anything to do with Thunderball in future would have started. I think that's why, however SPECTRE-like the villain and his plans in TSWLM seemed, the organisation did not appear.

Before we got the finished product several versions of a proposed storyline were written, including a controversial one which featured SPECTRE taken over by a group of young radicals who eliminate Blofeld and his cohorts and threaten to destroy the world simply because it has become corrupt and beyond saving (One wonders if that was one element retained in the finished film - Stromberg comments "Today's civilisation is corrupt and decadent. Inevitably it will destroy itself. I'm merely accelerating the process. I act not from malice but necessity.")

Another treatment took the villain from Moonraker, Hugo Drax, and Bond's old flame from FRWL, Tatiana Romanova, and featured a secret submarine base in Scotland. Again, another element which ended up, in a different way, in the finished film - for Tatiana read Anya Amasova?

The source for this is Steven Jay Rubin's book "The James Bond Films", which I bought in 1981 and remains an interesting read about the early Bond films. (It was from that book I discovered that the Czech actor Jan Werich had been originally cast as Blofeld in YOLT only to be replaced through "illness" by Donald Pleasance - only years later did I learn that the illness was possibly - probably - diplomatic - that it was decided after just a few days of filming his scenes that Werich wasn't menacing enough. I can't help but wonder though about the audience reaction, after all that mayhem in the movie, not to mention him dispatching Helga Brandt to the piranha pool, when the moment arrived and it was Jan Werich who turned around in his swivel chair and said "I am Ernst Stavro Blofeld". Especially if, as with other European actors in Bond films in the 1960s, his voice had been dubbed - by Eric Pohlmann, perhaps?)

#4 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:14 AM

I think Jan Werich looked more like my image of Blofeld than any bald headed actors do, partly because Blofeld has hair in Thunderball.

#5 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:28 AM

I think Jan Werich looked more like my image of Blofeld than any bald headed actors do, partly because Blofeld has hair in Thunderball.

I always assumed it was a hairpiece - a sort of disguise as he went to and from the Paris headquarters. And he was using a voice manipulator, to explain why he sounds nothing like Donald Pleasence until YOLT.

#6 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

Blofeld_by_Jan_Werich.jpg

#7 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

^ I'm sorry, but that picture always cracks me up! Blofeld Claus!