38 replies to this topic

#31 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

There's a limited edition Omega being released in conjunction with the film: http://www.ablogtowa...ra-15007-gauss/

Kind of ugly, I think.

Per the knowledgable Omega collectors at Watchuseek, Bond will sport two watches in the film: the new SM300 on a black/gray NATO strap (you can glimpse it in the recent promo shot and video) and an Aqua Terra (perhaps the same one featured in Skyfall).

#32 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

Very ugly, yes. The coat of arms is a good ideia gone wrong. Would never buy that watch. The PO from QOS is still the best looking time piece. And the promotional pic from omega from 2008 is still one of the best "Craig as Bond" pics we have, along with the CR teaser. IMO, of course. Oh yeah, and the one from Istambul.

#33 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

http://hub.contactmu...y-phone_4688336

#34 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

Bond ought to have a pocket watch, the fob chain could turn into a nasty weapon. In OHMSS it's even mentioned he got himself a golden one to better look the Bray part. I'd actually prefer that to the somewhat vulgar wristwatches. Anybody wears those today...

Pocket watches are rather uncomfortable to wear these days. Works with a three piece suit, when you have a vest with a pocket. But nowadays, one doesn't wear those at all times, like in the days of old. Pocket watches are just not made for trouser pockets. Not good for the watch, and the chain is not good for the pocket edges. Used one for quite some time, switched back to wristwatch.

"Vulgar wristwatches... Anybody wears those today". I disagree. Arguably it is pocket watches that are all most people have these days, although they may not be kept on a fob. The increasing reliance on smart phones has seen wristwatch sales drop in recent years and fewer and fewer people sporting them on their wrist. They are seen as impractical and old-fashioned. The fact that most people carry their phones in their pocket or bag and need to pull it out and flip it open to check the time rather than quickly glance at their wrist means that, ironically, we are all sporting pocket watches once more.

By contrast, wearing a wristwatch increasingly sets one apart, especially if it is of high quality. A watch is an affectation and increasingly the domain of aficionados; more of a statement than a practical item these days (the current fad of smart watches excluded). Given the military pedigree of the modern men's wristwatch, it remains the perfect item for an ex-military man like Bond who also happens to be a man of taste and discernment. Long before they were commercially available and mass produced, men's wristwatches began to appear with regularity among soldiers in the late 19th century, with this practice accelerating during the First World War with soldiers often wearing former pocket watches they customised themselves or ones more professionally modified by jewelers or clock makers; essentially standard pocket-watches fitted to a leather strap.

A wristwatch is also much more a statement of personality than a mobile phone, and more practical and less ostentatious than a traditional pocket watch. A wristwatch is basically jewelry, but an acceptably masculine piece of jewelry. I'll take the wristwatch any day. "I like to do some things the old-fashioned way."

#35 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

I have to agree with our man from Severnaya. 

#36 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

I cannot bring a cell phone to my workplace, so I still use a wristwatch. I'm eyeing an Omega for my 50th come early '17.

#37 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Well, I wasn't exactly all that serious about the watch, pocket or otherwise.

#38 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

I figured that was partly the case, Dustin, when you rhapsodised the opportunity to weaponise the fob chain.   ;)

Navy007Fan: That will be an excellent birthday present to yourself!

univex: Cheers!  

#39 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:00 AM

Well, I wasn't exactly all that serious about the watch, pocket or otherwise.

Well, Dustin, it would be a very well thought idea to have an henchman with a weaponized pocket watch. A garrote kind of thing. And about the watch, they should get Bond to use it as a knuckleduster on a heavy.