This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Anyone else go to Thunderball 1990 show?

7 replies to this topic

#1 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 11:28 AM

I wondered if anyone else out there went to the 25th anniversary screening of Thunderball, held at the National Film Theatre in London, May 1990.

It was arranged by the British International Fan Club headed up by Graham Rye, which has sadly now folded. The story behind Graham's attempts to piece together a useable print for the film was a story in itself. It was a great occasion.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 06:14 PM

I read about it in the special Thunderball issue of 007 Magazine and would have loved to have been there myself. I live in the states and there would have been no way.

I'd like to hear more about the event from your point of view if you'd like to share. Did you see any of the stars or crew or anything?

#3 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 11:50 AM

I saw Terence Young, who gave a speech on the champagne and lobster lifestlye they enjoyed on the film. Molly Peters was in the audience, and I think John Stears the special effects wizard. I'm sure there were more but i'll have to dig out some articles on the event which was a lovely day. The rocket-firing motorbike was on display outside the theatre. seeing the film on a cinema screen was a revelation.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 05:27 PM

What was the story regarding putting the print together?

#5 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 09:37 PM

I saw a new print of Thunderball 2 years ago in New York. A theater there played all 6 of Connery's EON produced Bond films in a day. All the prints were new, except From Russia With Love which looked to be a 1970's re-release print.

Regarding that print of Thunderball it utilized the same sound mix as the current videos do. It played the Bond theme over the end credits as opposed to Barry's original end credit music. Also Bond's line "Now you can tell about the one that got away" was replaced with, "Sorry old chap. Better luck next time".

Neil

#6 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 09:24 PM

I think the 1990 show had to made up from about eight different and slightly ropey prints of the film, put together to form one decent one. I remember Graham Rye said that sound was the priority over picture. He certainly didn't seem to get much help from the big film companies, and really put himself out to get a useable film to show.

#7 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Neil S. Bulk
I saw a new print of Thunderball 2 years ago in New York.  A theater there played all 6 of Connery's EON produced Bond films in a day.  All the prints were new, except From Russia With Love which looked to be a 1970's re-release print.

Regarding that print of Thunderball it utilized the same sound mix as the current videos do.  It played the Bond theme over the end credits as opposed to Barry's original end credit music.  Also Bond's line "Now you can tell about the one that got away" was replaced with, "Sorry old chap. Better luck next time".

Neil

What was Barry's original end credits music? I noticed that there's an odd swipe in the credits to get rid of "James Bond will return on OHMSS", but I thought that was all that was changed.

And I've seen the different quotes after Bond got out of the pool on the DVD. Which one was the original?

#8 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 03:28 PM

Originally posted by PaulZ108
What was Barry's original end credits music?

It's on the 30th anniversary album and on the original widescreen laserdisc I have of the film. Every 35mm print I've seen of the film and the latest Laser Discs and DVD's use "The James Bond Theme". Issue #4 of GoldenEye details the changes.

I noticed that there's an odd swipe in the credits to get rid of "James Bond will return on OHMSS", but I thought that was all that was changed.

The swipe was there, too. Interestingly, the print of Goldfinger that they showed said Bond would return in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Obviously a British print. That was a treat.

And I've seen the different quotes after Bond got out of the pool on the DVD.  Which one was the original?

I don't know. I don't know if anyone knows.

Neil