Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

This popped through the Inbox tonight.

Graham's up to his tricks again.

http://www.007magazi...07_magazine.htm

Does look a bit special.  Actually preferable to the Taschen volume for me.

#2 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Amazing work, as usual, Mr. Rye!

Congratulations!

#3 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

If it is as bad as the 007 Magazine Omnibus from half a year ago than it will be in very bad quality and looking just if it is made with a local shop photocopier.

And the price is ofcourse ridiculous!

Edited by Grard Bond, 20 November 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#4 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

It does look great, but jeeez!! Look at the price!!

#5 Blofeldscat

Blofeldscat

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Happy New Year! 

I'm very interested in this little number but would really appreciate any feedback from any one who has made the wallet busting decision to invest before I take out a 2nd mortgage and risk instant divorce! Any feedback very much appreciated. Cheers 

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

I am going through it right now, but I am dipping into it selectively - which is to say when the light is right and I can luxuriate in its splendour.

It is certainly a tomb of never before seen images.  Lord only knows how Graham has secured these stills over the course of his time but as a long term fan, I can state in all truthfulness I have never seen the majority.  There is also much referencing of time and day as to when things were filmed and every single last person's name as to who was involved.  The research appears thorough.

This may come in for comparison with the 007 Archives book and its also claimed, 'never before seen images.'  I cannot compare as I didn't shell out for that - I am always drawn towards the fan retrospectives (Sellers' Thunderball, Helfenstein's OHMSS and Living Daylights, Benson's Bedside, O'Connell's Catching Bullets) as their attention to detail is far more than what the average paycheque reviewer may achieve.  (I say this in the same breath as forever hoping a fan will Never be involved in the furtherment of their hero's story as usually, their eye is more towards the past and their talent more towards what's left wanting.)

The steel aspects are gorgeous; the printing and colour are as what one would expect from Graham's stable of quality control.  And it came suitably wrapped in a gold paper.  My only minor gripe might be that the wiro necessity for a steel book (I'm guessing it can't be bound) means that the wiro itself is of a lesser quality to the rest of the production.  It appears plastic coated and if care is not applied, this plastic coating may come off leaving a tattier effect.  I say May.  It is not tried and tested.

I might research what else is available and replace this - I feel a full steel and hinged affair might be better off but I have no idea if such an animal exists.

This review is a work in progress as I have only got a half of the way through it.  It is class though.  Hope this helps.

#7 Blofeldscat

Blofeldscat

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Simon, 

Very much appreciated, really useful (and quick!) response. It all sounds pretty positive. 

Still interested in any additional feedback you may have as you wade through the rest of it if possible. Do you feel it is worth the money and it will hold it's price or hopefully increase in value as a collectors item as the years go by? One good thing about it if I do buy it at least our dog won't be able to eat the cover!! Many thanks again.......off to see my bank manager!! :o) 

I do have the James Bond Files (Taschen) and that too is a hell of a tome! It is 420mm long x 310mm High x 50mm depth, numbering 600 pages! It's quite a challenge to find a table big enough to read it on and a severe challenge for your lap!   It is a very impressive book and full of lots of pictures I've never seen before. Many of them are colour and each film is covered with approx 25 pages dedicated to each one, including lots of pics from the films, some storyboards, props, documentation & promotional posters. The narrative is interesting although somewhat confusing with comments from many of the key players in each films production, rather than a detailed explanation of the film, it's plot and the key events. Although I guess most fans can write their own version of this. It is quite an item and worth buying but it might be a challenge trying to find somewhere to put it! Hope this helps....a little. 

Thanks again 

Rich

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

The problem I find with the series retrospectives, more so now than in the 80's for example, is that there are now so many films to cover that an individual film's depth of coverage will be slight, if a book is to be of handle-able size.

An addendum to my appreciation of fan coverage will also be the concentration on either just one element, or one film.  The books I exemplify above do this admirably.  To this end I also like the sartorial book, Dressed to Kill, Burlingame's music coverage, Worrall's DB5 book etc.

Anyway, you get the idea.  And it is for this reason I have shy-ed away from the Archives.

As to whether something will hold its value, it is fair to say we are not dealing with antiques here.  There could well be some books produced that aren't sold.  So with an eye towards making a buck, it is conceivable that they may have to be sold at sale prices.  Also, if the run is successfully sold, again with the same idea, a further run could be considered above the 350 promised.  I really don't know, I am only hypothesizing.  I just don't think one should buy something like this if resale is a foremost consideration.  Buy it and enjoy it...

I will round off the review (if one can call this as such) after finishing the read.

#9 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

It's way too expensive. No normal, new book is worth a price like that!

It has great pictures, but from the photo's I've seen it looks overall a little cheap, because it's not even a real book, let's face it: it's just a binder.

That's not worth so much money!

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

I think one is paying for the rarity of the content and the fact it is not mass produced.

For my selfish part, I just considered it a Christmas present to myself...

#11 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

I know that Graham Rye has been buying images (and the rights to them) for years, and I'd love to spend just an hour or two (more would be stimulus satiation) in his vault flicking through the pictures. I totally understand, that he tries to get a bit of his money back. I also respect the huge amount of work that has been put into it (I believe I mentioned that I'm in layout and printing business, myself). But £350 still is a large chunk of money, that's for sure. One problem for me is: before I spend such a sum, I want to see it, feel it, touch it (and that's why I hate to buy stuff on the internet in general), to be able to tell wether it's worth it or not. Another problem: I just don't have the money (even if it were £100 cheaper, which would still be a lot). And if I had it, there'd be at least a half dozen other thing I'd need to buy first...

If I have a chance to see it for real before next Xmas (a bit of time until then), I'll decide wether to ask 'Santa' for it or not.

#12 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

In writing and posting this reply I have not breached any 007 MAGAZINE & ARCHIVE Limited/customer confidentiality, and would therefore ask that all other people posting here also respect this etiquette.

Firstly let me thank all those here who have been gracious enough to post such positive kind comments.

Having been alerted to the content of this thread by a friend, I felt it necessary to comment on some of the very negative and potentially damaging points raised here by ‘Grard Bond’ from The Netherlands, whoever that might be.

I must agree with the ‘Grard Bond’ comment concerning the 007 MAGAZINE OMNIBUS #1, it wasn’t up to our usual expected high standards. As the original printer’s film and plates had long since ceased to exist for the four issues included in this omnibus edition, it was necessary to scan the pages of the original magazines held on file. Although the scans were good quality, the printer engaged to produce this job barely did them justice in the finished printed product. The printer was not prepared to reprint the job in total, as they believed they could not improve on the print quality they had already supplied, and accordingly I ceased doing business with this company.

Before commencing work on the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ I found another printer whose digital print quality is first class top quality work. Therefore I can say unequivocally that the print quality of the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ is a first class top quality job that in no way resembles the aforementioned omnibus publication.

Regarding the RRP of the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’; the contention that it is “way too expensive,” is of course an entirely subjective statement. And this publication is far more than a “...normal, new book...” The fact that this product is Wiro bound does not preclude it from being, by definition, a book – and it is far from being “just a binder.” 

I am pleased to report the healthy sales of this very limited edition numbered ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ have proven unequivocally that there is a significant market for publications of this kind.

For those interested, the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ can be purchased at:

G r a h a m   R y e

Editor, Designer, Photographer, Publisher

0 0 7   M A G A Z I N E

0 0 7   M A G A Z I N E  A R C H I V E  F I L E S

G O L D F I N G E R p o r t f o l i o (2014)

Managing & Creative Director/Archivist

0 0 7   M A G A Z I N E  &  A R C H I V E   L i m i t e d

Author

T h e   J a m e s   B o n d   G i r l s (1989-1999, 2010)

G O L D F I N G E R p o r t f o l i o (2014)

Professional Biography

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/biography/biography.htm

Email

[email protected]

Website

www.007magazine.com

Edited by 007 Magazine, 04 January 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#13 Bondo-San

Bondo-San

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

I’ve just had the privilege of delving into a copy of this book. And, my word, what an absolutely breath-taking, doorstop-sized tome it is. Between its impressive “steelbook” covers lies a tantalising wealth of articles, interviews, campaign and press materials and fascinating blueprints. But the real selling point of this golden vault is the fact it’s brimming with photographic treasures, a great deal of which these tired old eyes have never seen before – and, trust me, I’ve seen a lot! The extent of the imagery assembled here is simply astounding, there’s almost too much to digest. I’ve no hesitation in saying that the Goldfinger Portfolio belongs on the bookshelf of every 007 buff worth his mettle. Everything about it exudes class – from those eye-catching, shiny covers to the weight of the paper stock, from the lavish design to the exquisite print quality (and let’s not forget the eye-popping content). If you can afford to do so, dig deep and order a copy today because it really is every bit the ultimate tribute to the film that publisher Graham Rye promised, and the results of his sterling efforts deserve to be enjoyed far and wide.

#14 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

So you admit the Omnibus was of very bad quality? Well thank you for wasting my hard earned money.

It would have suited you if you had admit this before and paid people, who have complaint about this with you, their money back. I only got another one, which was a little better, but not much, and badly packed and thereby arrived at me wrinkled.

Maybe you only like possitive feedback in this topic, because you want to sell as many as possible, but I have the right to warn people that they buy for so much money basicly only a binder, because not everybody willl notice this at once and would be unpleasantly surprised. I didn't know this when I bought the Omnibus.

And yes, a binder, however beautifull, remains  a binder, sir.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:08 AM

While not wishing to appear as though I am on the 007 Magazine payroll, (I am really not, and anyway, there isn't one) it is important to hold in mind, the 007 Magazine output is of the fan based input.  It is important to realise this.  That said, while I have usually lauded the output, on occasion, I have also made comment about things that I feel could have been improved upon, and only really because the standards Are so high, I am thinking, why F*** it up because of typos - or some such.

I might also add, when I did make negative comment, there were some here who derided my comments.  But to this day, I am still friends with Mr Rye, so all is still good, I am sure.

There have been many issues of the 007 magazine, most of which have been before Graham's time, but even a few during, when the printing has been commented upon as 'could be better', and those comments have usually been made by those purveying the product.  I admit I am talking about its entire history from 1979 but, at the end of the day, it is a fan product.  A cottage industry.  Someone has had the nuts to stick his neck and financial input on the line and had a go.  A Boxtree publishers situation, this is not and ultimately, even though My Rye's background is in publishing and printing and photography and perfection (how about that for alliteration?), at some point, the reality is to pop the product out there and to get some return.  And maybe next time, with a different printer, things can be better.

(After all, EON foisted upon us TWINE, and presumably with precisely the same ethos...)

I would ask, has Grard bought and read 'The Binder'?  If not, his is not a review.

I am sure, on the other hand, his comments on the Omnibus are valid, although I cannot comment as I myself did not purchase this product.

#16 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

What customers around the world are saying about the 'GOLDFINGER portfolio'...

“Wow... Just writing to give you highest compliments on the brilliant, eye-poppingly wonderful, ultra high quality job you did on the 'GOLDFINGER portfolio'. It is, in a word, definitive!
Having seen it now with my own eyes and held its impressive bulk in my hands I now understand why it was so expensive. To quote a hackneyed phrase, "you get what you pay for"!
Bravo, sir!
Cheers and Kudos!”
USA

“WOW!!!!!
Spectacular work on the steelbook! Only glanced at it just now, but all that excitement and thrill of discovering Bond anew came back. Beautiful!”
USA

“Just a note to let you know that I received the portfolio today. It's a beautiful collection, with so many photos that I've never seen before. Congratulations on a great collection.”
USA

“Cracking job on the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’. I am still going through it and loving it. Very well done.”
UK

“The ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ landed with me today! I've only skimmed the surface (so far) but please accept my congratulations and appreciation for what will (I'm sure) become a stand out and celebrated piece of James Bond memorabilia.”
UK

“I’ve just had the privilege of delving into a copy of this book. And, my word, what an absolutely breath-taking, doorstop-sized tome it is. Between its impressive “steelbook” covers lies a tantalising wealth of articles, interviews, campaign and press materials and fascinating blueprints. But the real selling point of this golden vault is the fact it’s brimming with photographic treasures, a great deal of which these tired old eyes have never seen before – and, trust me, I’ve seen a lot! The extent of the imagery assembled here is simply astounding, there’s almost too much to digest. I’ve no hesitation in saying that the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ belongs on the bookshelf of every 007 buff worth his mettle. Everything about it exudes class – from those eye-catching, shiny metal covers to the weight of the paper stock, from the lavish design to the exquisite print quality (and let’s not forget the eye-popping content). If you can afford to do so, dig deep and order a copy today because it really is every bit the ultimate tribute to the film that publisher Graham Rye promised, and the results of his sterling efforts deserve to be enjoyed far and wide.”
UK

“This is certainly a tomb of never before seen images. Lord only knows how Graham Rye has secured these stills over the course of his time publishing 007 MAGAZINE, but as a long-term fan, I can state in all truthfulness I have never seen the majority. There is also much referencing to the time and day as to when things were filmed, and of every single last person’s name as to whom was involved. The research appears thorough. The steel front and back covers are gorgeous; the printing and colour are as what one would expect from Rye’s stable of quality control. And it came suitably wrapped in gold paper.”
UK

“As an avid collector of the 007 MAGAZINE issues, this publication stands out as the Pièce de résistance of my literary Bond collection. It really is all about quality! From the beautifully printed steel backed binding to crisp and clear pictures and text. With only a limited print of 350, this really is something that can only appreciate in value. Price wise, cheap things no good, good things no cheap! For me, it's a winner. Something to be treasured.”
UK

“A 24-carat compendium of ultra-rare images, press material, calls sheets and fascinating text on the greatest James Bond film ever. The ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ is truly deserving to be part of every Bond and cinema fan’s collection.”
USA

“I just loved the first three volumes of the campaign book repros and the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’.”
Norway

“I only actually got to taking a closer look at the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ today... and wow! This is what makes a serious Bond fan very happy indeed! Congratulations as always on a job very well executed, there really is nobody that comes close to you!”
The Netherlands

“I received my ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’ steel book today and made a good start on it, the production and quality are superb, some of the photographs you have managed to put into it are amazing. I’m looking forward to looking at it over the next few days to take it all in. Very well done on an excellent compilation of photos, facts and memorabilia.”
UK

“OMG! Wow! That’s it! Anyone who ever considered producing any kind of Goldfinger tribute publication must now forget about it, the pinnacle has been reached! What a triumph, you are immortalised with this amazing achievement of design and material, this is your legacy to the Bond collectors of the world. I have just revelled in my first peruse of the ‘GOLDFINGER portfolio’, which now has pride of place in my office at home. You deserve to take a well earned bow for your magnificent achievement with this instant collectors’ item, the care, effort and expertise that has gone into creating this masterwork is evident at every turn of the page. A herculean effort brought to fantastic fruition!”
UK