"The Music Of James Bond" re-issue

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

Jon Burlingame's book "The Music Of James Bond" has been re-issued with an extra chapter on Skyfall, Adele's theme and Thomas Newman's score. It's in paperback.

However, I suspect it may need re-issuing again, because flicking through it I noticed something odd. The reader gets to page 214, part of the chapter on TND, and suddenly is transported to the last page of the chapter on the music of CR 2006 - page 245, and overleaf is the first page of QoS, before we are back to page 215 and TND again!

Obviously a "prunter's arrow" (Sorry, "printer's error"), and don't worry, pages 245-246 re-appear in the right place later on. If nothing else it might make this early paperback edition a collector's item, albeit for the wrong reasons! And it doesn't detract from the book's content, which is an excellent and detailed review of the use of music in the Bond films.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Guy! Intriguing edition this. I wonder how such glitches get to happen?

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

Hi Dustin. My late dad used to work in the printing industry and his answer to your question would have been "easily". :)

I've no idea if this mistake can be found throughout the printing run as I bought the only copy in the bookshop that day. It may have been a one off, in which case I really do have a collectors item!

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

Keep an eye on it then, that would be a treasure.

#5 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

Has anyone else seen a copy of the re-issued Burlingame book? I only ask because I've been in Waterstones bookshop more than once recently and although the hardback first edition - minus a chapter on Skyfall, obviously - is on sale, I haven't seen a copy of the updated paperback since I bought mine a couple of months ago.

In view of the printers error mentioned above, I wonder if the publishers have pulled it so it can be re-issued again, minus error?

#6 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

Not every book, which is/has a misprint, is a colector's item ofcourse!

The book itself has to be some kind of popular or well known or a first edition etc...

If it was for example a first edition of an original Fleming HC book, or even a Gardner, than it would be a completely different case.

This one is just one of the many books about the Bondmovies, a re-issue and with a misprint it's very annoying to read at most, nothing realy special, but I could be wrong...?

Edited by Grard Bond, 20 December 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#7 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:02 AM

Still haven't seen that new edition of the book in my bookshop, so I'm wondering what's happened to it.

Incidentally, I don't have any Fleming first editions - the nearest I have to it is a reprint in the same year of publication of "You Only Live Twice", but I do have a signed copy of John Gardner's "Licence Renewed". I actually met him, he signed the book, and let slip a few tit bits about what would be his second Bond book "For Special Services".

#8 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

I loved the first edition - and I am curious about the new chapter on SKYFALL.  Has anybody read that yet?

#9 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hi Dustin. My late dad used to work in the printing industry and his answer to your question would have been "easily". :)

I've no idea if this mistake can be found throughout the printing run as I bought the only copy in the bookshop that day. It may have been a one off, in which case I really do have a collectors item!

Your dad's (presumed) answer is quite right. Something like this can happen easily. Through the years, I've done almost every job in printing business. The only thing I can't really do is to operate the printing machine itself (originally, I'm a plate-maker by trade). The nature of this error (it doesn't follow any printing logic) tells me, that it's something that may have happened with one book only (but there should be a "twin" which is missing page 245/246). If it did happen throughout the entire printing run - which is virtually impossible, as they would have noticed at some point that they haven't got enough pages 245/246 - the person who greenlit this has got a problem (and maybe not a job any more). Can happen only with paperbacks. Were it a hardcover, we would have another extra page elsewhere in the book.

Oh, and to give credit to whom it's due: it's a bookbinder's error, not a printer's error  :D

#10 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

Great info there, how utterly peculiar.

#11 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi Stromberg,

Thank you for the reply. Dear old dad used to deal with print on aluminium rather than paper, and saw such errors on a - well, not a regular basis but let's say they were not uncommon. "Prunters Arrows" was the term used, I think. 

#12 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hi Stromberg,

Thank you for the reply. Dear old dad used to deal with print on aluminium rather than paper, and saw such errors on a - well, not a regular basis but let's say they were not uncommon. "Prunters Arrows" was the term used, I think. 

Yes, that's one of the curses if you are in this business. You can't even look at a simple leaflet without spotting an error or two immediately (a printed product without any errors? It doesn't exist). I had a teacher at trade school who collected that kind of stuff, I've seen some things you wouldn't believe. I once had an edition of 3000 books delivered from the bookbinder, and when I picked up the first one of the finished books and opened it up, I immediately spotted a most embarrassing error... That wasn't funny.

#13 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

An update on the update of Jon Burlingame's book. I was in Nottingham Waterstone's yesterday and found a copy - with the errors mentioned above corrected!

I don't know if my copy bought a few months ago was a one off or part of a batch with the same mistake in each copy, but it looks as if the "prunter's arrow" - sorry printer's error has now been corrected in any future orders of this book.

So, I now have a copy of the Robert Sellers book "The Battle For Bond" - first edition before it was pulled for legal reasons, edited and then re-issued, and a copy of the Jon Burlingame book with a printing mistake. Are they future collectors items? Who knows.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

So, I now have a copy of the Robert Sellers book "The Battle For Bond" - first edition before it was pulled for legal reasons, edited and then re-issued, and a copy of the Jon Burlingame book with a printing mistake. Are they future collectors items? Who knows.

Our very own zencat here on CBn may offer some advice regarding that.