An amazing discovery on the 1999 DVD of OHMSS

6 replies to this topic

#1 Vahan

Vahan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Anyone here have the Region 1 DVD of On Her Majesty's Secret Service from 1999? If so, try this:

Do a stream of the discs VTS_001 file with angles "01" and one called "02DC". Angle 01 is the 1994 United Artists logo in 1.78:1 with the regular fanfare. But 02DC reveals an extremely big surprise:

It shows the original 1968 United Artists logo in scope that started the picture! On this film, the logo would cut to the opening titles, rather than fade to them. However, the 1994 UA fanfare is tacked on there; the 1968 logo was silent on the original print of this film.

0b4acd1e2b687c77ed4be6c3e619bc34.png

Edited by Vahan, 24 August 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

I miss that logo.

For me, a child of the 70s, that was how Bond movies began, as much as "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." introduced Star Wars.

#3 Vahan

Vahan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I was born in the late 1980's, but this logo worked very effectively for the Bond films of the 70's. Nothing but silence for the first 14 seconds, and then the iconic theme song blasts through your ears.

#4 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

When I clicked on the thread I thought you were going to say that in this version Tracy lives. :)

#5 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I though this was the version with Sean Connery ! :D

#6 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

I'm a fan of old monolithic UA symbol that slowly pivots around on the screen, accompanied by the one-fingered (guess who isn't a music major!) piano music followed by the crescendo of a full orchestra.   I guess the MGM lion roar is OK . . . and it I certainly don't dislike it. . .  but Leo can't compare to the old UA intro when it comes to making me feel like Holy Crap!  I'm about to see a 007 movie! 

BTW, the old UA intro is on YouTube, complete with the gun barrel logo, for any readers who are curious.

,

#7 Vahan

Vahan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

Months ago, I made a thread about UA logos, and I was told that only Goldfinger had the hexagon.

Did it really? I thought the Hexagon was seen on all the British United Artists films at the time. A friend of mine believes the Hexagon WAS on the original prints of Dr. No, From Russia with Love, and Thunderball, but was edited out, after the original BBFC screenings.

"There is a 99.98% chance that the original UK workprint screenings made to the BBFC did have them. But for Dr.No and the other two, Brocolli and Flemming probably decided to cut the Hexagon indents from theatrical screenings in spite, because UA wanted more control and further cuts to receive MARKETABLE ratings. This is possibly why the old UK TV screenings that someone mentioned on YT did not have them, because ITV used masters derived from UK theatrical prints (which explains why the Transamerica indents were left intact on most of the later ones)."

That was what my friend said.

Edited by Vahan, 28 August 2014 - 01:56 AM.