21 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 07:16 PM

20th Century Fox were holding a press conference this afternoon in Berlin to celebrate the premiere of "Stirb an einem anderen Tag", the German version of "Die Another Day". Berry was asked whether the rumours about a Jinx movie series were true, and she answered "These are only rumours, but let me say this: My character Jinx may possibly return in Bond 21. No contract yet, but there are a lot of opportunities."

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 08:15 PM

Of course this will all hinge on how successful DAD is...

#3 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 10:41 PM

yeah lets wait and see the numbers come in first before we start making the first 007 sequel.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 11:30 PM

Oh I am sure there will be a Bond 21. However, whether Halle Berry will be in it depends on if "Die Another Day" is a success or not.

#5 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 11:56 PM

I don't really think there is a chance that DAD will fail at the box-office. I've never seen more anticipation in people over a Bond film in my entire life, as a matter of fact! But whether or not Halle Berry will be returning - now that's a toss up. After all, Michelle Yeoh was rumored to return in TWINE and DAD and that never came to be.

#6 $Moneypenny$

$Moneypenny$

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:53 AM

True, can I change tack a bit, and ask whether people think Berry's return would be a good idea? Where do you think the writers would go with it?
(apologies if this is being discussed somewhere else!)

#7 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 05:09 AM

My opinion:

short Sylvia Trench type cameo: sure
anything else: no

#8 $Moneypenny$

$Moneypenny$

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:40 AM

Fair enough, mt opinions are along similar lines!

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Sir James
yeah lets wait and see the numbers come in first before we start making the first 007 sequel.

The...what?

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:13 PM

Prior to the Paris premiere Berry is reported as dismissing the Jinx spin-off idea as just rumours with no truth to them.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:28 PM

Seeing DAD the other day was the final proof that the rumours of a Jinx movie were just that and nothing more, or rather, that the stories were just a last-minute publicity attempt to point up Berry's involvement.

Berry was perfectly adequate in the film (although Rosamund Pike blew her offscreen IMHO), and she certainly looked fantastic (as Bond girls tend to do), but there was nothing to suggest that her character should be given her own series. Jinx amounted to nothing more than standard eye candy, notwithstanding her tongue's apparent possession by Roger Moore (after a while she began to rival David Brent [of British comedy series THE OFFICE] in endlessly churning out unfunny quips) and her ability to do backflips and punch out villains.

Ah well, I never believed those rumours for a second anyway.

But I wonder if any characters introduced in DAD will return for BOND 21. There were persistent reports of a recurring villain and story threads from DAD being continued in the next film, but having seen DAD this doesn't strike me as likely.

I have also read that Michael Madsen will return as Falco (possibly MGM are worried that US audiences will no longer accept the British secret service saving the world without American involvement).

#12 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, when she was on Parkinson she said she'd love to play Jinx again, but had no idea where these rumours of a spin-off series had came from.

Personally, i'd love to see her back, i though that both her and Ms Pike were fantastic. Im pretty sure that the cameo Michelle Yeoh was supposed to be back for would have been replaced the massuse in Hong Kong, and then this "canal system" that was rumoured a while back would have been used for an extended scene.

How would i like to see the return of Jinx? well, either in a pre-title sequence (an NSA/MI6 joint mission, similar to the GoldenEye thing in Russia), or perhaps Bond uses her as a source for intelligence, and she gets more implemented into the film. I really dunno, honestly, but i'd like to see her back.

#13 Brian Radcliffe

Brian Radcliffe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:05 PM

Let me disagree with Loomis, Berry was more than adequate. She's about as good as a Bond girl gets. Michelle Yeoh's star was not bright enough to bring her back in any substantial way, and what did Yeoh bring to TND anyway? High kicks? I never could understand the reasoning behind bringing her back. Aside from her deficiency in personality, her and Brosnan didn't seem to have much of a connection.
Berry is different. She's an Academy Award winner, her performance is getting more buzz, and the box office for DAD will probably exceed TND's by at least $50 mil., and Berry will have had some part in that. Berry and Brosnan have great chemistry. How she comes back is open to question, but she should come back. If DAD does $150-200 mil. in the U.S., she will be back in a major way. More importantly, Lee Tamahori should come back.

#14 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:48 PM

Jinx was great Brian, but I have to take issue with your comments about Michelle Yeoh. That lady is a major box office draw in parts of the world where an Academy Award don't mean squat. The Far East is a significant and profitable movie market. Cubby once pointed out that a third of Bond's international audience thinks 007 speaks Chinese! Giving Yeoh her own franchise must have seemed financially very attractive to MGM.

#15 Brian Radcliffe

Brian Radcliffe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 02:22 AM

Two days ago I was in my local grocery store, and in the cosmetics aisle was a big placard with Halle Berry's face selling Revlon cosmetics. As I was standing in the check-out, I counted no less than 5 magazine covers with her on it. Ford touts "Halle Berry's" Thunderbird in ad materials. She's an Academy Award winner. I'm not overstating by pointing out that Berry is the biggest female star ever to appear in a Bond film. Most of Bond's box office and ancillary revenue is earned in North America and Europe, not Asia (at least not yet.) Hollywood makes decisions based on that business reality, and under such logic there would be more incentive to return Berry to the series than Yeoh. But that's just the business side of it. Berry also has the momentum that is created simply by everyone asking her, Brosnan, Tamahori, the producers, etc, if she will return, as if it's a fait accompli. I can't remember the Yeoh rumors being anything but internet gossip, and the gossip certainly didn't start even before TND was released. Berry's own comments give the impression that her returning has been discussed, at least at a preliminary level. In Berry's case the rumors seems a little more substantive than the Yeoh talk, but until we see box office, it's just talk. However, if DAD does $400-450 mil. worldwide (certainly doable considering a mediocre effort like TWINE grossed $360+ mil) the studio and Eon probably couldn't get her signature on another contract fast enough.

#16 cbc007

cbc007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 10:57 AM

I don't really see the need to bring her back. It undermines the whole idea of Bond acting alone etc. I'd actually prefer a separate movie. It would satisfy all those critics who say Bond should be a woman!

#17 C. Tounes

C. Tounes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:16 PM

Halle Berry can come back all right. As a cameo. But not as Jinx. Jinx can rot in hell ! I hate her !

#18 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:42 PM

Jinx was amazing. I thought her dialog was not particularly funny, but it added to the charm of her character. She wasn't just spewing out the same lines as Bond; she had her own personality and her own sense of humour. And I found her almost childlike wit quite endearing. She might have gotten bigger laughs with lines that were more clever, but then her character would have been flat and just another action hero chick. As she was I can picture her background, how she interacts with her friends and siblings. I must give kudos to Wade and Purvis and Halle Berry for bringing so much depth to a character who could have been just another 'She's Bond's Equal'.

All of that said, don't bring her back. Let her live on in the immortality that is present in all great Bond girls. And let us remember her for being the perfect character that she is in this film.

#19 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 01:40 AM

I felt that a great chemistry was created between Brosnan and Berry, and you could see what looked like a genuine romance between Bond and Jinx. I don't know about anyone else, but it seemed to me that Bond was really worried when he brought Jinx into the warm water. He seemed to hold a true concern for her, not just another shag. I began to see a relationship that was reminiscent of Bond and Tracy. I say bring her back. She was much better than I had expected her to be, and I'd be curious how things would develop between Bond and Jinx past DAD.

#20 jeff319

jeff319

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 04:19 AM

I hope she doesn't come back. Halle Berry is a fine actress, but her performance in DAD was just dull. The character of Jinx is also incredibly dull, and I hope we don't see her return. Her presence just felt forced throughout the DAD.

#21 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:58 PM

when she came out of the water like Ursula, I just cringed. That was WAY too cheesy even for a Bond film.

#22 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 01:45 AM

If Jinx comes back, I'm not seeing Bond 21.

Ok that's a lie, but I really hated that character. And you're right, deth, that knife-bikini coming out of the water was lame; it was so patronizing on the part of the filmmakers, and Halle Berry acted as though it was her God-given right to do it.

Well, if Halle wants to be in Bond 21, all she has to do is hit someone else w/ her car and flee the scene so she gets some more publicity. Enough said.