8 replies to this topic

#1 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Wow, haven't posted anything for ages, so forgive me if this has already been posted...

I watched Joyeuses Paques the other day, a 1984 Belmondo movie I hadn't watched for almost 15 years. It is fun, I laughed a lot. It features a very young Sophie Marceau, more beatiful than ever (including, naturally, TWINE). In the film, there were a couple of reference to Belmondo's character thinking he's 007, but other than that, plot-wise, there is no resemblance.

However, one could not miss that the car chase sequences were almost identical to those of AVTAK, which was released one year later, including a car split in half as a result of a crash. Because of this resemblance, I checked the end credits and found out that Remy Julienne was the car stunt co-ordinator.

The thesis of this post, therefore, is: did the producers watch this movie and decided to copy it for the Paris chase sequence in AVTAK?

What do you think? Has anyone here watched it and knows what I'm talking about?

Below is the imdb link to it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087514/

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Haven't seen the film, just escaped me back then and I never came across it on the telly. But judging from the general experience with the Bond series it's perfectly possible they took 'inspiration' from this. All the more so as the stunt work seems to have been Julienne's. It probably made the work a lot easier when Julienne's team effectively had gone through the motions already once.

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Kind of disappointing that this stunt was... "inspired" by a former film.

But good observation, pgram!

#4 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Being French, I know pretty well Belmondo's films.

During the 70s & 80s, Belmondo was the biggest film star in France.

Joyeuses Pâques shows indeed some similarities but it is really a romance / comedy.

You should check Le Magnifique telling the adventures of Bob Saint-Clar (rings any bell ?) a French super-spy playboy but mid-film, you discover that Saint-Clar is the hero of novels written by a low-key writer (also played by Belmondo) who is a bit fed up with his creation, lacks of inspiration and struggles with his day-to-day life and falls in love with a beautiful student (Jackie Bisset)

Check also Le Professionnel about a spy let down by his gouvernment and seeking for revenge (for the record, this film had in France a bigger BO than FYEO released the same year). And by the way, a great score by Ennio Morricone

#5 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Being Greek myself, I am not unaware of French cinema, it has always been quite popular in Greece. I actually watched Le Magnifique yesterday, a couple of days after Joyeuses Paques. I had watched this one more recently, so I remembered it quiet well (especially ms Bisset, she's so pretty in it, it should be illegal). It is especially good fun. If you think about it, it is the second time Belmondo and BIsset were in a film together, after CR67.

#6 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

More likely Remy Julienne cribbed from himself without telling the producers. ARB and MGW didn't exactly strike me as the kind of folk who spend too much time watching la cinema Francaise.

#7 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I'm from The Netherlands, but Belmondo was also here a  big star in the sixties, seventies and eighties. I saw a lot of his movies on Dutch television, when I was a teenager and became a big fan of him.

I also saw "Le Professionnel" and "L'As des As" in my local cinema.

Today I own over 25 movies with Belmondo on dvd.

I think he's one of the great cinema heroes, especially because he did almost all of his stunts himself.

A lot of the car chases in movies like "Le Proffessionnel", "Le Marginal" and "Joyeuses Paques" are done with the team of Remi Juliet. I always look at the credits of those movies and you see his name very often on French movies of the seventies and eighties. I didn't realise he is/was such a big name in the movie industry.

In the movie "Joyeuses Paques" Belmondo plays a player who can't help himself and tries to get every beautifull woman he meets. And at almost the end of the movie there is a realy crazy car scene, where Belmondo almost destroys completely the car he's driving and yes, it looks like a lot of the scene in AVTAK.

I think Juliet copied here himself without telling Broccoli and co. When the car chase had to be worked out, he probably told Glenn and Broccoli that he had a great idea for that scene....

Edited by Grard Bond, 19 July 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#8 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

...but it can be worse.....

There's also a movie called "Mad Mission part 3" aka "Mad Mission 3: Our man from Bondstreet" (from 1984)

incl a James Bond homage with a Connery look a like.

That's not all: I always was more than a little surprised that the movie has also a scene with the Asian lead actor on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, where he is attacked by an OddJobb look a like and Richard Kiel himself. He escapes by jumping off the Eiffel Tower and landing in the river the Seine. Does this remind anybody of another scene of AVTAK?

The fact is: this movie was released a year earlier than AVTAK. So maybe they hadn't realy original ideas anymore around that time at EON?

Edited by Grard Bond, 19 July 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#9 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Remy Julienne also did the car stunts on the 1985 Arthur Penn film "Target" which, don't you know, also features a car chase which owes just a bit - just a bit mind you - to AVTAK.

The film stars Gene Hackman and Matt Dillon. The script is very ripe Robert Ludlum parody.